Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Update on springs with the phase 3 tune and 1446+ turbo. I'm finding the yellow spring with half turn preload (about 15 CP) to be superior to the purple with 6 turns (about 12-13 CP), and far superior to purple with 2-3 turns (~10 CP). Better mid to upper curve holding boost above 20, peaks around 25.

In contrast, Sharkcohen tried the yellow and is now back to the purple about 6 turns (he's seen similar CPs). Dave described boost dump in high range with the yellow.

known major differences between the cars:
ALLT - abarth, axle back exhaust ARicambi non resonated
Shark - Lusso, full GWR exhaust (full flow downpipe, crosspipe, midpipe and back). Tune may be slightly different

We haven't hit the 90 and 100 degree days yet, so this may alter, and i'll monitor, but so far, i was disappointed with my forge WG purchase while using the purple, and am now super happy using the yellow. Purple performance had me debating returning to stock to compare

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I do not understand this damn yellow spring. I don't recall this previously, but when I put it in now it has a BENCH crack pressure of 15 psi. 15 psi??? I have 3 of these ****ing yellow springs and all 3 of them, 15 psi BENCH crack pressure. WT actual F??? I am about ready to jump ship to a Turbosmart.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've only ever had one yellow and it tested bench right around 14 from the jump, while the purple was 10

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Rant aside, my setup is running great with the purple spring. 73° F this afternoon and I’m seeing peak boost of 24-26 psi. 5 full turns of preload, about 12.5 psi crack pressure. If it starts to boost dump in warmer weather I’ll need to lower the preload.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I do not understand this damn yellow spring. I don't recall this previously, but when I put it in now it has a BENCH crack pressure of 15 psi. 15 psi??? I have 3 of these ****ing yellow springs and all 3 of them, 15 psi BENCH crack pressure. WT actual F??? I am about ready to jump ship to a Turbosmart.
Cool it David....You’ll get high blood pressure and that is not good in the present time ( high risk ). Do go with the purple spring and enjoy spider life.

Dan

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Rant aside, my setup is running great with the purple spring. 73° F this afternoon and I’m seeing peak boost of 24-26 psi. 5 full turns of preload, about 12.5 psi crack pressure. If it starts to boost dump in warmer weather I’ll need to lower the preload.
85° F this afternoon and I beat on it. 24-26 psi peak boost and no boost dumps. Car pulls hard.

201 - 206 of 206 Posts