Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
So this is my current issue. I swapped out plugs with no affect. Today I switched back to stock diverter valve with GFB. Problem persists and with GFB peak boost is only 22 from normal 25. Car is strong except for this. I'm hoping it is the WGA. I'm going to flash back to stock tune tomorrow but that tune is so bad that even if it doesn't do this it still has other issues that make for a bad driving experience.

Chainringtattoo: I think I am having the same issue as you as it appears in the video. I have a manual Abarth, EC P1/P2, EC IC, EC V4, and GFB DV. The car drives strong, but appears to boost dump slightly - I get three consecutive sputters when I am accelerating hard in second gear in Phase 2. I still feel it in higher gears, but less noticeable. It doesn't seem to boost dump at all in Phase 1 or in first gear in either Phase 1 or Phase 2. Did the Forge Waste Gate Actuator fix your problem?

I need to fix this. It is embarrassing when you leaving a Mustang GT in the dust and the car starts hacking up hairballs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So this is my current issue. I swapped out plugs with no affect. Today I switched back to stock diverter valve with GFB. Problem persists and with GFB peak boost is only 22 from normal 25. Car is strong except for this. I'm hoping it is the WGA. I'm going to flash back to stock tune tomorrow but that tune is so bad that even if it doesn't do this it still has other issues that make for a bad driving experience.

Chainringtattoo: I think I am having the same issue as you as it appears in the video. I have a manual Abarth, EC P1/P2, EC IC, EC V4, and GFB DV. The car drives strong, but appears to boost dump slightly - I get three consecutive sputters when I am accelerating hard in second gear in Phase 2. I still feel it in higher gears, but less noticeable. It doesn't seem to boost dump at all in Phase 1 or in first gear in either Phase 1 or Phase 2. Did the Forge Waste Gate Actuator fix your problem?

I need to fix this. It is embarrassing when you leaving a Mustang GT in the dust and the car starts hacking up hairballs.
When was your tune last updated? My rapid-fire boost dumping had absolutely nothing to do with the WGA. I'd email Toby.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

No. The WGA did not fix that problem. It turned out to be a tune problem. If the issue is only in P2 and not in the stock tune or P1 then you also have a tune issue. Toby can fix it. Send him an email and tell him what's going on if you haven't done so already.

And as far as being embarrassed, I wouldn't worry about that. If you were beating a Mustang GT then that poor car has much bigger problems than yours.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I tried out the purple spring, and boost was down at least 2 psi, even after a tune adjustment, and monkeying around with adjusting the preload. It’s possible I never gave it enough preload, but even with a crack pressure of 11-12 psi the boost didn’t seem right. So I decided to try out this new yellow spring. I popped it in, installed the WGA, gave it one half turn of preload for good measure, reinstalled the first tune revision EC had sent me for the WGA, and took it for a drive. I got my boost back! The weather is “cold” here (I put that in quotes because I realize it’s no where near as cold here as other places right now), so I expect boost to be down a bit. It’s pulling 23-24 psi with my IAT around 65-70° F, and now running stronger than it ever has, and it spools up so fast. It’s a blast to drive. I’ll need to keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t overboost when things warm up. I have a feeling it’s going to be fine.

I have a guess that the full GWR exhaust with SportCat is necessitating the stiffer spring, and I also wonder if the purple spring would do fine if one was running the stock exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
purple people eater

I have a guess that the full GWR exhaust with SportCat is necessitating the stiffer spring, and I also wonder if the purple spring would do fine if one was running the stock exhaust system.
I promise to report back..once I get mine installed (Purple spring and 'stockish' exhaust AR axle w/resonators). BUT it will be the third of three mods I need to do..First will be Forge diverter, then IPVC then the WGA.

aloha mike

PS which I plan to do this Saturday...if my back holds up...its been feeling tight the past few days. grrrrr

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I promise to report back..once I get mine installed (Purple spring and 'stockish' exhaust AR axle w/resonators). BUT it will be the third of three mods I need to do..First will be Forge diverter, then IPVC then the WGA.

aloha mike

PS which I plan to do this Saturday...if my back holds up...its been feeling tight the past few days. grrrrr
Ive been having trouble with my back and knees, it’s held up a lot of progress.

·
Registered
235 Posts

aloha mike

Hi
What gains/improvements do you expect to get from these mods?

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
hope that helps?

Hi
What gains/improvements do you expect to get from these mods?
well for my driving style mostly reliability. I haven't decided on the stuffed turbo...but if I do..(more than likely closer to the warranty ending) I'll be set up for it. Of course at that time I'll also upgrade the complete exhaust system to accommodate the turbo.

also...a few aesthetic benefits too...I may or may not made them prettier. lol

the WGA will handle the stuff turbo and can be adjusted with the different springs.

the forge Diverter does not leak...the gfb DV leaks less and the stock leaks more then we care to know. (not terrible...but would never handle the boost levels.)

the IPVC is strictly a recommendation from @Phillip33 he has a lot more experience with turbos (then I will ever have) and has run that device on several of his cars without fault.

aloha mike

·
Registered
676 Posts

aloha mike

Hey guys: I just installed the Forge WGA with the purple spring and bench tested it at 10-11 psi CP, installed on engine with one turn preload on the actuator rod. Very happy with results, strictly butt dyno. Running
muffler delete, P2 EC Clone, DV+and madness intake. Maybe some more exhaust work in the future, and subsequent WGA spring change, but for now I'm very happy.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hey guys: I just installed the Forge WGA with the purple spring and bench tested it at 10-11 psi CP, installed on engine with one turn preload on the actuator rod. Very happy with results, strictly butt dyno. Running
muffler delete, P2 EC Clone, DV+and madness intake. Maybe some more exhaust work in the future, and subsequent WGA spring change, but for now I'm very happy.
Is your tune calibrated for the WGA and that crack pressure?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Shark:

Before sending my clone for the P2 I told Toby of the existing mods and he suggested the 10psi CP...I'm trusting he did the right thing with the tune. The car runs so much better than before, I'm very pleased with it and really don't feel that I need any more, at least for now. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Shark:

Before sending my clone for the P2 I told Toby of the existing mods and he suggested the 10psi CP...I'm trusting he did the right thing with the tune. The car runs so much better than before, I'm very pleased with it and really don't feel that I need any more, at least for now. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

@hefbadr, do you have a boost gauge? I'm curious how your boost is doing with the purple spring.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
No boost gauge...ignorance is bliss??!! Maybe I should consider one...maybe I can rig up a temporary pressure gauge? I'm starting to suffer from that italian disease, you know, mafunzalo!
If it feels good and doesn't feel like you've lost power, then that's good. I'm guessing my trouble with the purple spring and lower crack pressure is related to my high flow exhaust.

A boost gauge is a great tool. I personally think it's a must have once you start modding this far.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No boost gauge...ignorance is bliss??!! Maybe I should consider one...maybe I can rig up a temporary pressure gauge? I'm starting to suffer from that italian disease, you know, mafunzalo!
I have to agree with @sharkcohen here. A boost gauge should be an early mod for anyone considering tuning their car. It becomes evident why once you can see actual boost pressure. For Shark and I, the pressure differences were 2-3 PSI when changing over to the Forge. You can't feel that but you'll see it clearly with the boost gauge and it makes a difference in overall performance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes it feels good, and I have more power than before, again, butt dyno. I can say confidently there is bags more torque judging by the way it pulls in higher gears (4,5 and6) at slow speeds and low rpms. It'll pull nicely from 2000 rpm in 6th gear.
I know, I know, just experimenting!!

Next on the list is more exhaust..mid/cross pipes, and yes, you talked me into it, a boost gauge. Spend my $$$ why don't you!

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
hahaha good job @sharkcohen MONEY GONE!!!!!

I suppose I need to contact Toby and see if my tune should be adjusted for the newer mods (Forge WGA-Purple spring) Forge IPCV and BOV.

aloha mike

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
hahaha good job @sharkcohen MONEY GONE!!!!!

I suppose I need to contact Toby and see if my tune should be adjusted for the newer mods (Forge WGA-Purple spring) Forge IPCV and BOV.

aloha mike
Yes on the WGA, no on the IPCV and BOV.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If it feels good and doesn't feel like you've lost power, then that's good. I'm guessing my trouble with the purple spring and lower crack pressure is related to my high flow exhaust.

A boost gauge is a great tool. I personally think it's a must have once you start modding this far.
You guys kill me...so now I'm shopping for a boost gauge...I'm leaning mechanical/pneumatic...also need to add to post #155 listing my mods...forgot to include EC intercooler..silly me...any suggestions on gauge choice and mounting options appreciated...tia..

121 - 140 of 192 Posts