Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Vaitrix from EC. 30 psi boost gauge...plug and play. Cool design. mounting is done by double stick tape...yeah I know sounds cheesy. But holds up well.

I like it. @sharkcohen his is really nice too. I can't remember the brand...Defi? idk.lol

aloha mike

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for the input guys....I'll check them out...at this point the mounting "logistics" weigh heavy on my mind!! I was thinking mechanical for $$ reasons..and now you guys are steering me "uptown"!! Need to take a look to see what you guys did to mount it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I tried out the purple spring, and boost was down at least 2 psi, even after a tune adjustment, and monkeying around with adjusting the preload. It’s possible I never gave it enough preload, but even with a crack pressure of 11-12 psi the boost didn’t seem right. So I decided to try out this new yellow spring. I popped it in, installed the WGA, gave it one half turn of preload for good measure, reinstalled the first tune revision EC had sent me for the WGA, and took it for a drive. I got my boost back! The weather is “cold” here (I put that in quotes because I realize it’s no where near as cold here as other places right now), so I expect boost to be down a bit. It’s pulling 23-24 psi with my IAT around 65-70° F, and now running stronger than it ever has, and it spools up so fast. It’s a blast to drive. I’ll need to keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t overboost when things warm up. I have a feeling it’s going to be fine.

I have a guess that the full GWR exhaust with SportCat is necessitating the stiffer spring, and I also wonder if the purple spring would do fine if one was running the stock exhaust system.
Same to me 2psi lower with purple spring.
Toby send me revision tune and I am planning to test tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thanks for the input guys....I'll check them out...at this point the mounting "logistics" weigh heavy on my mind!! I was thinking mechanical for $$ reasons..and now you guys are steering me "uptown"!! Need to take a look to see what you guys did to mount it.
CravenSpeed vent pods.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
CravenSpeed vent pods.
Word of warning if you go with the Vaitrix Gauge and want to do the Cravenspeed mounts, the gauge is actually 62mm not 60mm and you will have to modify the cup a bit. I know first hand!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Word of warning if you go with the Vaitrix Gauge and want to do the Cravenspeed mounts, the gauge is actually 62mm not 60mm and you will have to modify the cup a bit. I know first hand!
Unfortunate that Vaitrix did not design it as a standard 60 mm size.

·
Registered
81 Posts
PISTON or DIAPHRAM??

In regards to the springs, yellow is what we use with a "crack pressure" (when the waste-gate arm just begins to move) of 9-11psi.

Setting the waste-gate to begin to open at that pressure variance is optimal.

Stock Wastegate- 6psi (Stock)

Forge Wastegate- 9-11psi (Yellow Spring)

In regards to the boost fluctuations, it has shown up in some software variances.

These cars require some pretty advanced tuning and it takes some time to align all of the required tables to produce what appears to be a simple peak boost request.

Toby is very precise and calculated in the methodology he uses to determine what needs to be adjusted.

Waste-gate Adjustment Tutorial: (Narrated by Greg)

https://youtu.be/quIxhgnZbB8
Hi Guys It may sound like off topic at this point, but the Forge representative told me the 049 actuator compatible for 124 comes in 2 variants : PISTON or DIAPHRAM which one do we want?
Anybody can compare benefits?

Thanks Patrick

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hi Guys It may sound like off topic at this point, but the Forge representative told me the 049 actuator compatible for 124 comes in 2 variants : PISTON or DIAPHRAM which one do we want?

Thanks Patrick
That's very interesting. I didn't know there were two variants. I have no idea which one I have.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts

Thanks Patrick

@Phillip33 or @Greg

any input guys?

I wonder which one I have... hmmmmmmm

aloha mike

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
@Phillip33 or @Greg

any input guys?

I wonder which one I have... hmmmmmmm

aloha mike
I just looked at the Forge website again and honestly, they need to do a better job with product information. If you type in FIAT 124 you'll see two different product codes for a waste gate actuator. I, and I assume everyone else here, has product code FMACFPEVO. Neither of the descriptions for the WGAs lists the 124 as a compatible vehicle. Even their crack pressure ratings for their springs are inaccurate. Forge, you have a following here. You need to do a better job with this community.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Double checked my box for the WGA (still haven’t installed it yet) grrrr
It’s the piston type as @depotdan showed above. The bottom box (black)

Aloha mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just looked at the Forge website again and honestly, they need to do a better job with product information. If you type in FIAT 124 you'll see two different product codes for a waste gate actuator. I, and I assume everyone else here, has product code FMACFPEVO. Neither of the descriptions for the WGAs lists the 124 as a compatible vehicle. Even their crack pressure ratings for their springs are inaccurate. Forge, you have a following here. You need to do a better job with this community.
Ok Fine - PISTON type.
Now I'm confused about the model.. My understanding (and what the forge representative said) is that the FMACFEVO is the BIGGER model which uses 048 type springs whereas the one we should get is FMACF14 which the is one compatible with garret 1446 and which employs type 049 (smaller) springs (a MUST from the beginning of this thread)..

Any thought?

FMACF14 (gives you the option to select turbo / piston or diaphragm / spring including the infamous purple)

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Turbo_Actuator_for_Fiat_500595--product--72.html

FMACFEVO (does only give you the option to select spring type NO PURPLE)

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Turbo_Actuator_for_the_14_Multiair--product--74.html

Now question is.. are we sure that all the debating was done related to crack pressure wasn't related to the fact that ppl in this thread was using different models? (I.E. yellow in the FMACFEVO is 10-12,5 PSI whereas in the FMACF14 is 15 PSI....)

For references I'll post the replies I got from the UK forge representative:

FMACFPEVO uses a 048 body, Forge don't do a purple spring for that 048 only 049.
FMACF14 has the same length rod and fitting. Just in 049 body. Looks like you need FMACF14 then.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I’m so confused.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I think Forge USA is putting FMACF14 in the FMACFPEVO box!

FMACFPEVO from the UK site:

FMACFPEVO from the US site:

FMACF14 from the UK site:

FMACF14 from the US site:

Now, stay with me folks. Here's a pic from the Eurocompulsion site for the Forge WGA:

Here is what we are receiving from EC when we buy it. Also note that EC used to ship spring kit 048 when ordered, until we all starting receiving these actuators and spring kits from them recently and noted that 048 did not fit. EC also has said that the Yellow spring is supposed to be about 10-12 psi, but we are now receiving WGA with yellow spring with minimum 13 psi.

Note that I'm not blaming EC for anything here. Instead, I think Forge USA has messed up and started sending EC the wrong parts recently, resulting in the confusion over springs. As @pattbone noted, FMACFPEVO is supposed to use spring kit 048 and there is no Purple spring. FMACF14 uses 049, and there is a Purple spring.

@Greg @[email protected] @[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think Forge USA is putting FMACF14 in the FMACFPEVO box!

FMACFPEVO from the UK site:

FMACFPEVO from the US site:

FMACF14 from the UK site:

FMACF14 from the US site:

Now, stay with me folks. Here's a pic from the Eurocompulsion site for the Forge WGA:

Here is what we are receiving from EC when we buy it. Also note that EC used to ship spring kit 048 when ordered, until we all starting receiving these actuators and spring kits from them recently and noted that 048 did not fit. EC also has said that the Yellow spring is supposed to be about 10-12 psi, but we are now receiving WGA with yellow spring with minimum 13 psi.

Note that I'm not blaming EC for anything here. Instead, I think Forge USA has messed up and started sending EC the wrong parts recently, resulting in the confusion over springs. As @pattbone noted, FMACFPEVO is supposed to use spring kit 048 and there is no Purple spring. FMACF14 uses 049, and there is a Purple spring.

@Greg @[email protected] @[email protected]
Note the position of the boost connection hose .. in the middle (for the 048 type) by the side (for the 049 type)..
Regardless of the name in the 124 che connection is on the side...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
Ok Fine - PISTON type.
Now I'm confused about the model.. My understanding (and what the forge representative said) is that the FMACFEVO is the BIGGER model which uses 048 type springs whereas the one we should get is FMACF14 which the is one compatible with garret 1446 and which employs type 049 (smaller) springs (a MUST from the beginning of this thread)..

Any thought?

FMACF14 (gives you the option to select turbo / piston or diaphragm / spring including the infamous purple)

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Turbo_Actuator_for_Fiat_500595--product--72.html

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Turbo_Actuator_for_the_14_Multiair--product--74.html

Now question is.. are we sure that all the debating was done related to crack pressure wasn't related to the fact that ppl in this thread was using different models? (I.E. yellow in the FMACFEVO is 10-12,5 PSI whereas in the FMACF14 is 15 PSI....)

FMACFPEVO uses a 048 body, Forge don't do a purple spring for that 048 only 049.
FMACF14 has the same length rod and fitting. Just in 049 body. Looks like you need FMACF14 then.
The springs were discussed earlier in this thread.
The 048 are very large and won’t fit into the FMACFPEVO-US that everyone is running on this platform.
It was also noted that the 049 springs were updated recently by forge with no announcement on why they did it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
Note the position of the boost connection hose .. in the middle (for the 048 type) by the side (for the 049 type)..
Regardless of the name in the 124 che connection is on the side...
Those are both the same housing just different setups for the 1442 vs the IHI turbo in EU.
Also the ports can be clocked because the bolt layout is symmetrical.
The picture on Forges website is of an old model and not the current one.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Ok Fine - PISTON type.

Any thought?

Another example of how Forge themselves are screwed up. And @sharkcohen may be right. I ordered my WGA directly from forgemotorsport.com and the box says FMACFPEVO-US on it. I know the WGA I received does not accept the larger 048 spring, only the 049 spring. When I contacted them directly about the inability to set crack pressure below 13 PSI with the yellow spring they argued with me why I would possibly want to do that if I'm running 25 PSI boost. They insisted I should have a crack pressure of 25 PSI! The guy finally gave up and said he was putting the green spring in the mail to me. Maybe Turbosmart knows what the **** they are doing?

141 - 160 of 192 Posts