Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came on to the forum this morning and was greeted with an invitation to fill out a survey. Working on the market research industry myself, I clicked on it to help.

However, the first three questions were: (1) what is your screen name, (2) what forum do you participate in, and (3) what is your email address. That was enough to disuade me from continuing. There are too many scams out there already for me to volunteer this type of information. Besides, from a research standpoint, this information is unnecessary for true research purposes; they only kill participation rates.

Questions:
  • Has anyone else received this invite?
  • Does anyone know who sponsors the survey?
  • Is it legitimate?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It keeps popping up, too. Even after I dismiss it. Just going back to the "new posts" screen after being in a thread will pop it up. Suuuper annoying.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s good to see I’m not the only one getting invited. I guess that makes it legit.

Still, I’m not giving out my email address or any of that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see it every time I log in - it shows up multiple times as I move from topic to topic. I've simply ignored it and have not clicked on any of the options or closed it. Here's what I'm seeing:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not seen it,however....as we are on an open forum where many of us watch and read for ages before joining....though we have Moderators...we are open to someone joining and attempting to scam us......so, should we be alert to anybody joining from the "Market Research Industry"....... What do you think "Aldo" 😄 Cheers
ron

·
Registered
309 Posts
I see it every time I log in - it shows up multiple times as I move from topic to topic. I've simply ignored it and have not clicked on any of the options or closed it. Here's what I'm seeing:

View attachment 74906
Looks like you have been selected.....maybe contact Moderators and ask if they can Moderate these B*ggers off our Forum Cheers
ron

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

View attachment 74906
Yes. That’s the invitation I get as well.

Again, the whole thing looks fishy. For starters, the invitation doesn’t identify from whom it is. Second, this whole business of asking for our screen names, forum and email address: if it were real, it ought to be able to identify our screen name and forum automatically; our email address is not necessary...unless they plan to send us some sort of incentive, but there’s no mention of any.

My advise to fellow forum members: don’t click on it.

Mods: if this is a legitimate survey, please confirm; and if so, remove the requirement to provide personal information that is unnecessary for the research.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if it were real, it ought to be able to identify our screen name and forum automatically; our email address is not necessary...unless they plan to send us some sort of incentive, but there’s no mention of any.
In this case it makes sense that it doesn't as the survey redirects you to a Google Survey website.

I still think it's ridiculous to ask any more identifying information than "which site" (the company running this board runs several), however, and it's why I didn't complete the survey.

I'm sure that, like the other pop-ups we complained about, the admins will ignore complaints about this.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A buddy of mine is a market research supplier to Google. He tells me Google employs a bunch of smart 20-year-olds that know very little.

The response rate Google is getting out of this has got to be close to zero.

Oh well, this only means job security for those of us who make a living in market research...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I had been seeing it pop up over the past week each and every time I connected to the site, or opened a new tab from an existing page. But today... no sign of it. So hopefully it's gone for good.

One of my biggest issues with this new site is the amount of pop ups.... both on the side and in the conversation thread itself. I know they have to generate revenue to pay the costs of operating the site, but I truly wish the pop-ups were less frequent and far less in quantity.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had been seeing it pop up over the past week each and every time I connected to the site, or opened a new tab from an existing page. But today... no sign of it. So hopefully it's gone for good.

One of my biggest issues with this new site is the amount of pop ups.... both on the side and in the conversation thread itself. I know they have to generate revenue to pay the costs of operating the site, but I truly wish the pop-ups were less frequent and far less in quantity.
I am not getting the pops ups or the survey stuff (so far)....but I did go into my profile area and selected lots of NO to do you want questions.....maybe you guys should just take your own survey of what you can and have (or not) selected..things like Privacy.......Members Only can see your contributions or Public, Take a look maybe.
Cheers
ron

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t mind filling out surveys and helping out, but there’s a proper way to do it. Asking for personal information without identifying from whom it is ain’t one of them.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've seen it, I've had ask the same questions, I've seen no ID of who is running it, and I'm doubting its legitimacy.

Since VerticalScope of Toronto, Ontario, Canada seems to be swallowing up automotive forum sites (3 that I follow), said sites have so many more distractions and annoyances, and are split up and diluted into so many sub-categories, that I think they are really nothing more than data mining sites. I have no evidence of any of this, but it is the only (unsubstantiated) conclusion that I draw.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I am not getting the pops ups or the survey stuff (so far)....but I did go into my profile area and selected lots of NO to do you want questions.....maybe you guys should just take your own survey of what you can and have (or not) selected..things like Privacy.......Members Only can see your contributions or Public, Take a look maybe.
Cheers
ron
Nope. There never was, and still isn't, anything in my settings that would account for seeing the survey pop-ups and the like. What you're describing would not have any impact on pop-up content, as I don't think a private member could instigate a push for a pop-up posting. You must not be getting them because you fail some sort of demographic test for who they get posted to. That's the only logical explanation for you not seeing them while others do. Just be thankful you don't get them. For the rest of us, we just have to ignore them, the same as the side and in-thread pop up crap.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nope. There never was, and still isn't, anything in my settings that would account for seeing the survey pop-ups and the like. What you're describing would not have any impact on pop-up content, as I don't think a private member could instigate a push for a pop-up posting. You must not be getting them because you fail some sort of demographic test for who they get posted to. That's the only logical explanation for you not seeing them while others do. Just be thankful you don't get them. For the rest of us, we just have to ignore them, the same as the side and in-thread pop up crap.
Got my "like" in CD......Yep, I am lucky not to be harassed like you guys are, as for failing the test.........That's the first test ever that I have enjoyed failing.......:) Great photo of you and the "Abarth" cake at the dealership by the way, Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Got my "like" in CD......Yep, I am lucky not to be harassed like you guys are, as for failing the test.........That's the first test ever that I have enjoyed failing.......:) Great photo of you and the "Abarth" cake at the dealership by the way, Cheers
ron
lol Its good to see folks who have a sense of humour and know a dry rib, errr, rub.... when they see it. Yeah, sometimes not being on target for a demographic is a good thing. That's the way I look at being a Spider owner. We're not mainstream, and it feels good. :)

Related humour moment. Regarding the cake.... I do these fairly often. Like for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. A printer that uses food grade ink on a thin sheet of icing. Go figure. Anyway; when I went to the supermarket bakery with my design on a USB stick, the lady said "And remember, we can't print anything that's a logo or a trademarked image." And I go, oh yeah, no problem. This is just something from my local car club. And she smiles, and makes me a cake. Now if that had been a Ford, or even a Mazda logo, what do you think the odds are that I could have gotten away with it? It's good to be different.

....and the cake tasted pretty good too!

·
Registered
309 Posts
lol Its good to see folks who have a sense of humour and know a dry rib, errr, rub.... when they see it. Yeah, sometimes not being on target for a demographic is a good thing. That's the way I look at being a Spider owner. We're not mainstream, and it feels good. :)

Related humour moment. Regarding the cake.... I do these fairly often. Like for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. A printer that uses food grade ink on a thin sheet of icing. Go figure. Anyway; when I went to the supermarket bakery with my design on a USB stick, the lady said "And remember, we can't print anything that's a logo or a trademarked image." And I go, oh yeah, no problem. This is just something from my local car club. And she smiles, and makes me a cake. Now if that had been a Ford, or even a Mazda logo, what do you think the odds are that I could have gotten away with it? It's good to be different.

....and the cake tasted pretty good too!
I was going to ask about the cake jam and cream or fruit,it looked, "The Business" anyway. I also have a story about a cake....We lived opposite an "Electrical Goods and Ariel shop in a previous life so I knew the guys well, a storm took my Ariel so I asked the boys to fit a new one....the shop owner kept saying "we are busy but coming soon and 12 months later "to the day" no Ariel. I bought a big chocolate cake and inserted a cendle then took it over the road to the shops morning meeting of owner and tradesmen, lit the candle and marched in singing Happy Birthday.
The lads were looking, the owner asked me, "Why the cake"? so I told him, and them..........I had a nice new Ariel fitted same day !
Back to the Adverts.... One more suggestion....AD BLOCKER in Google, I use Ad Blocker so can not access some sites, others want me to remove it which I never do but rather than suffer as you guys do I just use sites that Ad Blocker isn't frowned upon and I am Happy to say, so far 124 Spider.org has not tried to stop me.
Best Wishes to all of you who are suffering from "The Ads" ! Cheers
ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts