Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that traffic or at least postings are way down judging by how long it takes for posts to be bumped. Kinda a bummer. As I posted before I love my morning latte and seeing what’s new on the forum. Just nothing much to see lately. Makes me wonder why....

Lack of new products. Even sponsors of this forum like GWR, EC (though a Greg is great about giving his wisdom) or Madness have started a new post in a long time.

Us early adopters have made our mods or know what they will be

The newness has worn off

Sales low for new owners

Winter is coming (but instead of frozen undead we have SUVs)

Not enough of us to form local clubs

User demographics don’t align with a forum community, mods or otherwise

???

Just throwing it out there. Love this car!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
....driving before we run out of weather.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yup. For all the reasons you sight but mostly the novelty wears off and the population is rather small.

I'd add, like many forums, they often go through "groundhog day syndrome". Frankly, it gets boring discussing the same topics over and over.

Finally, we're generally an older (and wiser) group who mostly chose not to to engage in silly bantor. Those threads tend to have longer shelf lives and are more entertaining. Until they're not.
i.e. the Classica, Why'd you buy it thread.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
I'd be posting but my 3rd kid was born 3 weeks ago and I've been busy getting things ready for winter. Garage needs to be cleaned to park the 124 Spider, boat needs to be prepped for storage, etc. Just not much time. Besides, people don't really buy cars like this late in the year right before winter comes in many parts of the US. Traffic will come and go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
With such a small population of owners and sales dwindling we see the drop off in activity here. Seems the shine has worn off the Fiat Spider. Shame really. There are some fantastic deals out there on 2017's. My local dealer has 6 on the lot and none have moved in the past several months, in Florida this is the time vert sales are rising but not Spider sales.

Paul

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
To be honest, many people are finding it difficult to find one on the lot at all. The production numbers weren't exceptionally high in the first place. I was talking to a guy the other day who couldn't find an Abarth within a 200 mile radius of him. As soon as the 2018 models start hitting dealers, I think you'll see more membership. We've gained a good 400 members this year already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Key Fob

Lost key fob, should I order one from the dealership or online from a keyless fob website. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I have no key or fob.:(

·
Registered
559 Posts
From the dealer it's about $300 including programming but I've had one on order for weeks. In my case, the interior backup key evidently broke off where it mounts to the cap, leaving just the cap attached to my key ring. I never take it off of the ring so I know I didn't leave it somewhere. But, all I had left was the nub. Fiat is replacing the fob under warranty as the key mount should never have broken.

Lost key fob, should I order one from the dealership or online from a keyless fob website. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I have no key or fob.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I believe the below to be true. I already know what I want for my car and don't feel the need to talk about it. I'm also old enough to not engage in the banter and am a bit busy with life. I love the car though and have been enjoying putting the miles on it. Not tired of the car at all.

Yup. For all the reasons you sight but mostly the novelty wears off and the population is rather small.

I'd add, like many forums, they often go through "groundhog day syndrome". Frankly, it gets boring discussing the same topics over and over.

Finally, we're generally an older (and wiser) group who mostly chose not to to engage in silly bantor. Those threads tend to have longer shelf lives and are more entertaining. Until they're not.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Funny, it's finally getting nice here in Florida to take the top down and let the wind blow through my hair. These days, I'm out driving!! We'll have a month or so of cool weather and then it'll warm up all over again...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I totally agree. There are several sitting on the lot here in Melbourne, Fl but they're loaded and all but one is automatic. People are trying to find one they like but it's verrrry difficult. I had to drive down to Fort Pierce, which is about 75 miles. But they actually had the car in West Palm Beach-another hour south. I told them if the'd drive it up here for me to see and drive, I'd buy it. They did and I did!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Funny, it's finally getting nice here in Florida to take the top down and let the wind blow through my hair. These days, I'm out driving!! We'll have a month or so of cool weather and then it'll warm up all over again...
I lived in West Melbourne for 5 years and I can relate. I'd love to have my Lusso there and be enjoying the weather. N. Ca is getting it's first rain and snow of the year this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Still check in every day or two :)

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
430 Posts

Mature adults, maybe, mabye not. :eek:

It is not mandatory to participate in any thread, especially those you find silly. However anyone that takes the time to open a tread deserves a pat on the back for keeping things fresh and stoking the fire here. Same goes for those that are active participants.

Waiting for 2018, why would anyone do that especially with the graet deals available now on 2017 models??? Nut'n changes on the 2018 but a few colors and perhaps the instrument cluster.

Ya want spiders come, to south Florida we have an infestation.......... on the dealer lots. They including the prized 6 sp. manual Elaborazione Abarth. Give Tony a call and plan a fly/drive, it's a great time to be in south Florida. Here's an example from just one of the many dealer down here: https://www.fiatusaofsarasota.com/ne...anchor-model-0

Paul

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lost key fob, should I order one from the dealership or online from a keyless fob website. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I have no key or fob.:(
I have a brand new mazda key fob lying around I'm sure it would work $65
if you're interested.

P.s it is the fob alone no key

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
You're right, I was thinking the same thing about the traffic on the forum. But, folks have mentioned the causes and they make sense.
As far as car availability, I think it's another example of FCA incompetence.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Love the forum! A morning ritual with my coffee, and several times a day as a nice break since I bought my bella in April. Where else could I have learned so much? Used this forum and my manual to put together a nice service program that I stick with religiously, put together a winterizing routine (which I have posted), and also put together a plan for personalizing our car. Soon to be started: lightweight flywheel, steering wheel spacer (possibly), tuning program, intake, & exhaust. The information posted by participants, and very importantly some great vendors has been priceless.

·
Registered
350 Posts
For me, I'm away from mine until just before Thanksgiving, hopefully the snow won't be on the streets when I get home for the holidays. As soon as my lease is up on my XF, 4/20, I may get another one for down here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've noticed this trend with a few forums, usually where there's a Facebook group attached.

Coincidence maybe?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am on a few car forums and this is a common trend

Some of the smaller forums are almost dead

And yes I do believe that Facebook is a factor - especially in these days of instant gratification .....**** kids !!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts