Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
Wow, that appears to be an original factory rally car. If so, they were about 300,000 USD when new.

Greg

·
Registered
485 Posts
looks awesome totally into one of those if I had the money.

Reactions: anty

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pretty funny how it's just sitting there casually in what looks like a dull dealership next to some equally dull Jeep renegades... lol

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
looks awesome totally into one of those if I had the money.
I would just like to see one in person. They are so rare, and I don't think there are any of them in the US. If I get a chance to look at one I'll go through it and make a video as I did with the factory 500 Abarth rally car. It's always good to look and see what the factory guys did when they built a race version of a car.

Greg

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
That one for 80,000 Euros has a real race history. Thirty years from now it might be worth millions.

Greg

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It’s ashamed that our cars were not built with a retuned 1750. It’s what the car really needed. Mazda may have had a say in nixing the engine. It’s just sad that it didn’t happen.

Dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
It’s ashamed that our cars were not built with a retuned 1750. It’s what the car really needed. Mazda may have had a say in nixing the engine. It’s just sad that it didn’t happen.

Dan
True, but then I assume the price point would've been higher than cars in its class. It would basically be a front engined 4C.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For an old-school rally fan like me, the R-GT 124 looks and sounds glorious fully stickered up and charging round the stages, and so obviously related to road-going Abarth. Well worth hunting down the few snippets of footage on Youtube.

So tempted to go all out on light-pods, skid-plates and mud-flaps on mine !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Snippet -

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
True, but then I assume the price point would've been higher than cars in its class. It would basically be a front engined 4C.
My understanding is that a condition of the deal was that Fiat could not offer options that would put it's power above the MX-5. Apparently that's the reason there were never any official Mopar performance parts that added any real power, unlike the old SRT-4.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts

I have thought about doing that, as I did for the 500 Abarth (we have a legit rally type skid plate and mud flaps for it). However I don't think the market is there for the 124. The cost of doing that first skidplate is really high, and without a decent market for it, the numbers just don't work out well. If I see a sign of serious interest, meaning I could sell ten pretty quickly I'll probably make a skid plate.

Greg

·
Registered
246 Posts
For an old-school rally fan like me, the R-GT 124 looks and sounds glorious fully stickered up and charging round the stages, and so obviously related to road-going Abarth. Well worth hunting down the few snippets of footage on Youtube.

You can find all the rules for prepping an A124 via Fiat's UK Press release area!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have thought about doing that, as I did for the 500 Abarth (we have a legit rally type skid plate and mud flaps for it). However I don't think the market is there for the 124. The cost of doing that first skidplate is really high, and without a decent market for it, the numbers just don't work out well. If I see a sign of serious interest, meaning I could sell ten pretty quickly I'll probably make a skid plate.

Greg
A functional/real (not cosmetic) plate? I’m interested...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts