Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pulled into my work lot today to find MX5 HT
Was cool looking at differences. It was outside Italian restaurant, so most liked the "European" look of 124.
Gotta say the power HT was very cool. Down had a targa look.
Rethought my decision to get Abarth, but 124 seemed more unique, not to mention Turbo.
Seemed like 124 wheel base was a bit larger, interior identical, also looked like Miata was wider, but kno its not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I do like the hard top version.. @GregtheBike That reminded me of this...SMH.... Sir Alec Guinness In A Majority of One (1961)

Attachments

Reactions: GregtheBike

·
Registered
480 Posts
calamari or catfish? i'll stick with the calamari......just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....yeah hard to believe its mostly the same car.
More i look at them together more i like the 124!
The Miata looks like...well a Miata.
The 124 looks more unique. I see so many different past designs in our car...
Front lights like past 240Z, Rear end a bit like Viper, Grill and hood, of course like past spider, side and rear view a bit like boxter.
Friends who dont know have responded mostly thinking its a Porsche, but have heard Maserati, and the beautiful “F” comparison...
Buddy of mine thought i must being doing pretty well to afford a Ferrari.
:D

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Well....got both in the garage here :)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both terrific cars but with surprisingly different characters. Fiat were definitely successful in differentiating the 124 from its MX5 donor. And good on them for doing that too. The 124 and MX5 twins aren’t “badge engineered clones” like the 86 & BRZ!

I do a sort of comparison in this thread...

http://www.124spider.org/forum/54-2...-big-test-drive-reviews-abarth-124-v-mx5.html
Great tread and review!
Hard to believe u prefer the mx over the 124 when all said and done.
Sorta wishing (only for a short second) test drove mx.
:cool:
I like the finger pointing. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Great tread and review!
Hard to believe u prefer the mx over the 124 when all said and done.
Sorta wishing (only for a short second) test drove mx.
:cool:
I like the finger pointing. ;)
I didn’t “get” the MX5 at first. I (like many) thought “sports cars” had to be stiff and flat and buttoned down”. The ND MX5 has almost comedic levels of pitch and roll.....and if you are an Auto-Xer or regular track day person, the MX5 is probably too soft. As a road car however, the balanced chassis combined with light weight, sharp steering and soft suspension gives you a car that responds quickly and dramatically to every control input. You can adjust its line with steering, throttle and brake. It literally dives into corners. It manages to make a drive to the shops “fun” in a way the Abarth can’t quite match. It still has good levels of grip when you get serious, although you need to be a bit smoother with your inputs (than the Abarth) when you are really on it. They are very close, but I find the MX5 the slightly more rewarding car to drive, But I admit it took me a few drives before I started to “get” it.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn’t “get” the MX5 at first. I (like many) thought “sports cars” had to be stiff and flat and buttoned down”. The ND MX5 has almost comedic levels of pitch and roll.....and if you are an Auto-Xer or regular track day person, the MX5 is probably too soft. As a road car however, the balanced chassis combined with light weight, sharp steering and soft suspension gives you a car that responds quickly and dramatically to every control input. You can adjust its line with steering, throttle and brake. It literally dives into corners. It manages to make a drive to the shops “fun” in a way the Abarth can’t quite match. It still has good levels of grip when you get serious, although you need to be a bit smoother with your inputs (than the Abarth) when you are really on it. They are very close, but I find the MX5 the slightly more rewarding car to drive, But I admit it took me a few drives before I started to “get” it.
Not a track dude (yet), but we all know how there is more torchinal stability with a HT over a convert.
Wonder if the HT sorta help as mentioned “balanced”.
As a past bimmer owner (1,3,and X) i guess im used to a bit more, and like the stiff suspension. Also, i drove the 1 series HT on the autobahn @ 125mph, dont know if i would wanna do that in the 124.
Tnx for the comparison!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts