Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Free drive events

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  morrisg 
#1 ·
#6 · (Edited)
The event in Chandler, AZ was dead! I was expecting a long wait. There was no line at all, so I was in the new MX-5 in minutes. The event is divided into three tests -- braking, slalom, and track time.

Braking (2 runs)

You take the car up to about 80mph and then stomp on the brakes to bring the car to a full ABS stop. I was SO impressed by the strength of the MX-5's brakes. I'm sure much of their efficacy stems from the fact that the car is lightweight. The 124's brakes should be far above average if the MX-5 is any indication. However, most of us do not do full panic stops on the street, so I was not able to get much of an idea of the brake pedal feel under normal driving conditions.

Slalom (1 run, 2 runs if you don't hit any cones)

Accelerate as fast as you want so long as you don't knock down any cones through a short slalom course. It was fun to wring the MX-5 left and right and feel how nimble the chassis is. Here again you really appreciate the car's light weight.

Track (2 laps)

First, you choose your transmission. The previous events were automatic only. For the track event, you could choose a manual transmission car (the white MX-5) if you desired. I chose the manual.

This was the highlight of my day. With an instructor sitting beside you, you are unleashed around the track to go as fast as you want and get a feel for the car. Cones at each corner mark suggested braking points. Tearing up the track was a blast!

There is plenty of power, strong brakes, and the sensation of speed while the wind is rushing through your hair is fantastic.

The new MX-5 is a bundle of fun but the body roll is concerning. You can really feel the body tilt and wallow around bends. Mazda claims the body roll was intentional and connects the driver to the experience, but for me it robs confidence. I prefer my cars to feel flat, full of grip, begging me to push harder and test my limits. If the 124 feels like this, I will be looking toward the aftermarket for a stiffer suspension.

The electric steering rack is a good one, but the steering feel is not excellent. Frankly I felt the Audi A3 I drove the other day had more connected feeling steering. A Scion FR-S or Subaru BRZ is FAR SUPERIOR here. Just about the only area I prefer the FR-S/BRZ.

The clutch had decent weight to it, and I found the biting point immediately. Zero learning curve for me, which was welcome. The gear change is not as refined as an Audi's though. Selecting gear is just not as smooth, and the whole gearknob area vibrates upon startup. The car clearly needs that extra level of refinement. It may not be as refined simply because refinement adds weight or cost. This makes me want to drive the 124 even more -- will Fiat's team use their extra development time to refine the car a bit more over the earlier-launched MX-5? Will the 124 have less body roll? A touch more steering feel?

Leaving the track, I was highly surprised to see a clean R34 GT-R driving around! I've heard they're somewhat common in Canada, but you NEVER see these in the US. Truly a unicorn moment for me.

The pics in this thread show that it will be:
http://www.124spider.org/forum/13-2016-fiat-124-spider-photos/1570-here.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.