Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 517 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new season for Run what you Brung Friday Nights are back on Sep 7th!

I will be there from now on! Had to order a new helmet since my Motorcycle helmet is a 2006 model and by the new rules it has to be a 2010 or newer Snell approved bucket for any convertible or any other car running under 14.0. Can't wait to see how AngelVixen runs on the strip.>:)

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I had planned on going here last night but couldn’t make it. Next date is also September 7 for us and then following day is track day. I’m looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had planned on going here last night but couldn’t make it. Next date is also September 7 for us and then following day is track day. I’m looking forward to it.

Hope you do well. Here its Drift and Drag the next day, may go and check that out also.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
I want to say that you should really have a helmet for this regardless. I hate to be an old fuddy duddy here, but even though our cars are not high powered relative to others at the drags, things do go wrong. It's not just your car, it's the driver next to you, and even though he/she might be highly skilled stuff goes wrong with those super high powered cars, and when it does, they can swerve into your lane very quickly.

Of course our cars have roll hoops, but that's not a substitute for a helmet.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to say that you should really have a helmet for this regardless. I hate to be an old fuddy duddy here, but even though our cars are not high powered relative to others at the drags, things do go wrong. It's not just your car, it's the driver next to you, and even though he/she might be highly skilled stuff goes wrong with those super high powered cars, and when it does, they can swerve into your lane very quickly.

Of course our cars have roll hoops, but that's not a substitute for a helmet.

Greg

I agree completely and it is a requirement for ANY convertible, regardless of run time. New HJC in digital camo arrived yesterday along with your E+D tuner. Can't wait to get the mapping downloaded and programmed after the holiday.

I haven't run a 1/4 on a strip in forever and I am looking forward to it. I want to see if I can even break 14 with all the mods done so far and your mapping. The FMIC upgrade should be here end of next week or just after the weekend and I will book time with my mechanic to help me get it installed and then move up to the Phase 2 mapping. Looking forward to the Phase 3 stuff when I get the stuffed Turbo upgrade in the winter.

Being in Phoenix and it being incredibly hot during the summer monsoon season, what is your opinion on adding a water injection system? I had a 500 Abarth before the 124 w/o intercooler and it was a dog in the afternoons due to the 116-120 temps.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Hope you do well. Here its Drift and Drag the next day, may go and check that out also.
Thanks. I have a feeling I'll do better than last time. This Saturday is track day at Grand Junction Motor Speedway. I'd like to see some other 124s there to counter the 20 Miatas that will show up.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can't wait to see 1/4 mile results from another Phase 2 user! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done some "practice" launching from a stop and with the car getting going so quick, I am always hitting the rev limiter in 1st before I shift. Got to work on shifting sooner!

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
I've done some "practice" launching from a stop and with the car getting going so quick, I am always hitting the rev limiter in 1st before I shift. Got to work on shifting sooner!

I think at this point, the fastest gasoline powered 124 time is 14.5. I am pretty confident that someone will beat that this winter.

My own car has the fastest automatic time of 14.6 (14.4 corrected), which I think is pretty good.

Greg

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hmm, has someone else with Phase 2 and manual transmission posted 1/4 mile results here before? I haven't been keeping up.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
Hmm, has someone else with Phase 2 and manual transmission posted 1/4 mile results here before? I haven't been keeping up.

Yes, someone here posted a 14.5 some time ago. I think it was in Florida. I don't remember where that post is, but it's on this forum somewhere. As far as I know, that's still the fastest time on pump gas, regardless of all the big talk out there.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I will be running with the Madness MaxPower piggyback tonight. Have not received the EC Phase 1 map from Toby as of yet. Not a big deal because I will be able to test them against each other, Madness tonight and pull it when I get the EC map for flash and then run that next week. Then I should have the intercooler installed by the 3rd week and can test out the Phase2 map.

The biggest drawback will be not having the launch control with the Madness Pack, but I will give it a good try!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Looks like I will be running with the Madness MaxPower piggyback tonight. Have not received the EC Phase 1 map from Toby as of yet. Not a big deal because I will be able to test them against each other, Madness tonight and pull it when I get the EC map for flash and then run that next week. Then I should have the intercooler installed by the 3rd week and can test out the Phase2 map.

The biggest drawback will be not having the launch control with the Madness Pack, but I will give it a good try!
If I were you I'd run a completely stock car first just to get baseline numbers. That way you know what mods work later on.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First run was interesting. Way too nervous for one, been a long time since I’ve been on a track. Then there is the fact that I’m 6’2” and my helmet hits the top and had to scrunch down in my seat too much. Slow .674 launch and spun the tires a lot more than I expected compared to plain street. 17.2 overall at 88 mph. Gonna try another run here in a bit to try and get a bit better.

On a side note, I got the phase 1 tune just before leaving home and got it loaded. On the drive here I could really tell that the Madness Sport+ mode I have been using had more get up and go than the EC phase 1. So I flashed back to stock when I got here and dropped the MaxPower back in.

If I have time, I may flash back to phase 1 and give it a shot also.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shaved off a full second on pass 2. Went around the water and no burnout this time. Didn’t spin as much this time around. Still a bad RT though. Got to work on it but I’m having a blast!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So if you take off my horrible RTs, the car ran 16.629 and 15.575 on the 2 runs. I have a lot to work on reaction time and not spinning so much. First run was with traction control off, and on for the second to help a bit more but the track was HOT and slick. Temp gauge was pegged at 118 the whole time I was there but dropped to 94 when I left, I actually thought something was wrong the way it was maxed out all the time.

Didn't stay to run a third time because some guy in what I think was a Chrysler 300, or something close to it, demolished something in the drivetrain. Engine was still going but the horrific metal crunching sounds coming from it about 1/3 of the way down said something went bad. Instead of stopping, he kept trying to go and it was just getting worse. Ended up spewing parts and or fluids for the next 1/3rd until he finally gave up trying to limp along. Recovery pulled him off and they spent the next 45 minutes cleaning the track and re-gluing it.

Lots to learn and need lots more practice, but it was a fun night regardless. Will be back next week for sure!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, forgot to post this. Here's my guesstimated run time that the inspector put on my back window just based on his SWAG. I laughed my ass off and told him I WISH!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Assuming 2600 pounds, you were making about 150 whp in brutal weather. What mods did you have? Just the MaxPower?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have the V4 intake, Brisk Silver plugs, 4C coils, DV+, a BOA, PTP Turbo Blanket, GWR full exhaust, and GoPedal. Intercooler is in the garage on the bench to be installed so I can move up to Phase 2+. I have the GWR Sport Cat on order and a Snow Perf Stage 1 water injection kit on the way to help with the temps. May end up replacing the DV+ and BOA with a Forge unit to play around with the spring tensions also.

I know that I absolutely need a better set of rubber. The all season Bridgestone OEM tires are not for the track.

1 - 20 of 517 Posts