Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a Calif. resident I need to have front plates. Is there a detailed thread on how to install the holder per Fiat instructions. The instructions on the holder are not very specific. I'm not about to drill a hole on the car until I"m positive I have it right. I've searched the archives and see several alternatives but I want to install as it was intended. Thanks in advance.

Bill B

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was in the same quandry, and I didn't have a rivet gun, which is necessary. So I took it to my local Fiat dealer, which is not where I bought the car, and they were happy to put it on for free. The only problem was finding a technician who knew how to do it. Claudio knew how.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the holes that mount the holder to the front.The holes line up with the car fine but I'm worried the rivets aren't long enough on the 2 outside positions to grab the plastic on the car and securely hold the license frame to the car. Am I missing something? Sorry I'm not more detailed but hopefully the pics will explain. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
There are several of us on the forum in California who are running without front license plates. I never noticed how many cars don't have them, but there are actually quite a few.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm in CA, got a ticket on my S2000 for no front plate. So I'm using the Platypus tow hook mount and like how it looks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
From Memory...

There are 3 recessed dimples on the front bumper cover. Drill them with a 3/16" drill. These holes will line up with the 3 holes that are riveted.

There are two tiny circular markings on the front bumper cover. (not as easy to see as the recessed dimples) Drill them with a 5/16" Drill. These holes line up with the two Prongs on the back of the license plate bracket.

Insert the 2 prongs into the 2 larger holes in the bumper and the bracket will clip into place. Install the rivets in the 3 remaining holes.

Holding the bracket up to the front bumper will help you locate and verify the locations of the holes you need to drill.

·
Registered
490 Posts
@steve6225

I would've thought in the "Live Free or Die" state you wouldn't let the man tell you "had" to ruin the front of your car. Frankly, I'm disappointed ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From Memory...

There are 3 recessed dimples on the front bumper cover. Drill them with a 3/16" drill. These holes will line up with the 3 holes that are riveted.

There are two tiny circular markings on the front bumper cover. (not as easy to see as the recessed dimples) Drill them with a 5/16" Drill. These holes line up with the two Prongs on the back of the license plate bracket.

Insert the 2 prongs into the 2 larger holes in the bumper and the bracket will clip into place. Install the rivets in the 3 remaining holes.

Holding the bracket up to the front bumper will help you locate and verify the locations of the holes you need to drill.
Thanks Steve. That is what I needed to know. Your help is appreciated.

I'm not sure I want to risk a ticket for no front plate. Here in Ca. I'm sure it would be a hefty fine although I know several friends who are doing it and no problems yet. This state is taxing us to death and the politicians are looking for any source of revenue. I never thought I'd say it but Nevada is starting to look like an option.

Bill B.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
I'm wondering if you'd be a bigger target in Grass Valley then those of us in the Bay Area, So. Cal, or even in Sacramento. I know your population is growing tho...would local police look the other way?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm wondering if you'd be a bigger target in Grass Valley then those of us in the Bay Area, So. Cal, or even in Sacramento. I know your population is growing tho...would local police look the other way?
I think I would be less likely here in Grass Valley. I have a friend who is a retired GV officer and he told me not to worry unless I get pulled over for another reason. I have a 65 Corvette and 68 Chevelle SS with no front plates but I think LE tends to leave vintage restored cars alone, at least that's my theory.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
455 Posts
Nice! I'd leave it off for now, but that's me. Was at a hospital recently visiting a friend, and on the row of "physicians only" cars, almost no one had a front plate...just a nice car.

·
Registered
683 Posts
@steve6225

I would've thought in the "Live Free or Die" state you wouldn't let the man tell you "had" to ruin the front of your car. Frankly, I'm disappointed
The "Live Free Or Die" is mostly bs! We have an annual state "Safety" Inspection, and you won't pass without a front plate. If you don't pass, you don't get a sticker, then the cops pull you over and give you a ticket for driving a uninspected vehicle. Nothing makes a car safer than a front plate!

Reactions: billbonn80

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Live Free Or Die" is mostly bs! We have an annual state "Safety" Inspection, and you won't pass without a front plate. If you don't pass, you don't get a sticker, then the cops pull you over and give you a ticket for driving a uninspected vehicle. Nothing makes a car safer than a front plate!
Not to mention hearing protection and a reflective belt.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Being a Calif. resident I need to have front plates. Is there a detailed thread on how to install the holder per Fiat instructions. The instructions on the holder are not very specific. I'm not about to drill a hole on the car until I"m positive I have it right. I've searched the archives and see several alternatives but I want to install as it was intended. Thanks in advance.

Bill B
I wrote a blog article on this when I installed mine. It may help if you haven't already installed ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wrote a blog article on this when I installed mine. It may help if you haven't already installed ;)
Thanks Ameridan. I managed to figure it out thanks to Steve6225 post. I haven't installed the holder yet but I may today. Not sure yet if I'll install it or drive awhile without it. I really appreciate this board and all the help everyone is so willing to give.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts