Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the better front license plate holder? Given a choice between the Craven Speed Platypus OR the "Sho n Go", that is?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I forget what mine is called but it uses clamps to adhere to the egg crate grill. No drill, but places the plate where it would normally be. it was 90 bucks online.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I had the Platypus before. It's sturdy but does not allow you to adjust the position of the plate. To me this is a disadvantage because in my opinion the position of the Platypus is slightly too centered and too high. I ended up going with the iJDMTOY mount, which gives you 8 positions to choose from, great for those who are OCD about aesthetics. One of its positions is exactly where I wanted the plate. It's slightly less sturdy than the Platypus but sturdy enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
85 Posts
I have the Sto and Sho and like the ease to remove it. I also like that it is low on the car.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
481 Posts
My Spider already had the front plate mounted when I first looked at it so that's what's there. However I have the Platypus on my every day sedan and I like it. Sturdy enough to survive the fully automatic car wash brushes (no place to take a Spider mind you) but speaks to the quality of the product.

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
I got the Sho ‘n Go. Craven speed is overpriced and just plain ugly.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
481 Posts
I got the Sho ‘n Go. Craven speed is overpriced and just plain ugly.
Best regards
Pete
Pete, as the title of the old Twilight Zone episode said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" 😁 LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the better front license plate holder? Given a choice between the Craven Speed Platypus OR the "Sho n Go", that is?
Hi, this is my 1st posting since purchasing a 2020 Lusso this summer. Am really happy to discover this site! I took the original MOPAR plate that came with the car, couldn't fathom drilling holes into the front, drilled two holes instead through the plate holder at the top to align with the plate holes, ran two machine screws with wide toggle wing nuts through the pair, positioned the plate centrally, popped them through the grill, tightened snugly, there it sits. It took 6 minutes and $2. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
Pete, as the title of the old Twilight Zone episode said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" 😁 LOL.
That’s true. And I’ll confess to being a cheap bastard. Except with wine. I prefer a bargain.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally decided to go with the Sto-n-Sho which I'll mount in front of the lower half of the Spider grille. I want to mount some Italian themed grille badges on the upper half (provided I can think of a way to attach them). So, I'll go w/ the Sto and Sho, down low, you know? Thanks for all your replies! Jeff

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
85 Posts
One comment, when I installed the Sto N Sho, I removed the splash guard under the vehicle and I drilled holes in the underside of the grill so I could fasten using machine bolts and large washers with a nut. This method provides even more strength. Just how I did it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK Ill make it easy, I have a 2017124 Abarth, I purchased a license plate holder from Pep Boys for about 4 bucks, zip tied it on to the center of the lower grill then installed the plate, looks great , no interference with air flow, and its been on since March 2017.

·
Registered
481 Posts
OK Ill make it easy, I have a 2017124 Abarth, I purchased a license plate holder from Pep Boys for about 4 bucks, zip tied it on to the center of the lower grill then installed the plate, looks great , no interference with air flow, and its been on since March 2017.
I had the front plate on my everyday sedan attached that way (zip tied) until someone decided they needed my plate more than I. Promptly went out and bought the Cravenspeed mount. No problems since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found a front license plate holder while just searching for spider accessories that screws into the eyehook hole were you screw in the eye hook for a pull. So no modifications needed other than removing the hole cover. Just a thought for any one else needing front plate. Sorry don't have link or even name of the mount but something you can search up.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Craven speed Platypus mount.

Reactions: firstshadow
1 - 15 of 15 Posts