Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

front license plate install

31K views 60 replies 32 participants last post by  Prosecco 
The front plate holder you should have gotten with your car, attaches to the bumper with three pop rivets. You are supposed to drill three 1/8th inch holes where the dimples are in the bumper and pop rivet the holder in place. The plate than attaches with bolts to the holder.
I didn't want to drill holes so I bought one of the neoprene rubber plate holders like dealers use for hanging a temp plate on for test drives.
The tabs at the top that the dealer would stick under the trunk lid, I stuck into the grill and then tie wrapped them around to the holes in the bottom of the plate. Very secure and it means only neoprene rubber is coming in contact with the car and the edges of the plate are surrounded by neoprene so if I want to keep using the same plate and just buy stickers, it should still look OK for a couple of years.
I just don't like the plate off center which is what happens when you use the tow hook mount. Plus, they are pricey. The neoprene plate holder can be had for $10 bucks.

Reactions: wedgewa
Maybe it's just because I'm getting "too old to sweat small stuff" but I only spent about 30 seconds disliking the idea of a front plate. Then - on went the Fiat-supplied front bracket. I've lived lived in states that require front plates my entire life so it's not a new concept. And, in my state, if I keep the car for 30 years (when I'll be in my late 90s) then the front plate will no longer be required for an historic vehicle and I can just put a picture of Sophia Loren (or someone like her) on the front bracket.
I understand completely. My dad got the same way when he got older. All his life he had taken the extra effort to make and keep his things nice but later when I would come over and say "You want me to help trim off some of those dead limbs" or something similar, he would just respond "The **** with it." He subscribed to Playboy after my mom passed.

Reactions: Mike34 and SteveWy
I looked at the Platypus but I like the look of the plate off centered even less than the intended location. Plus it sticks out beyond the bumper making it look hideous from the side. I bought a dealer neoprene plate holder with the ears, put the plate in it upside down, brought the ears through the lower grill, and tie wrapped the ears to the holes in the top of the plate.
Still an ugly plate on the front of the car but no holes in the bumper and nothing but neoprene rubber touching the car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.