Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
I have never run a front plate but within 6 months of getting my 124 I have been pulled over twice. The first time I literally had the plates in my possession for 6 days because CarMax never bothered to tell me they were in. It's 100% a profiling thing and it pisses me off. I have a very short commute to work and watch people blow through red lights so stale that they're closer to green, yet I never see patrol cars anywhere around here - but in predatory spots where they can write easy tickets for cars speeding after going down a huge hill and no front tag?

I don't plan on staying in my state for very long but here it's a flat fine with no points and non-increasing fine amount so I consider it a "I won't ruin the look of my car and permanently modify the bumper" tax.

Police have been announcing that they're stepping up patrols for distracted driving. $83 fine for using your phone while driving. $75 for no front tag. I like that texting while driving is an $8 higher risk than not running a front tag. I can honestly say I never realized no front tag was so dangerous.

What a joke.

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth, fully loaded from the factory, with just a wee bit of aftermarket mods.
3,539 Posts
I have never run a front plate but within 6 months of getting my 124 I have been pulled over twice. The first time I literally had the plates in my possession for 6 days because CarMax never bothered to tell me they were in. It's 100% a profiling thing and it pisses me off. I have a very short commute to work and watch people blow through red lights so stale that they're closer to green, yet I never see patrol cars anywhere around here - but in predatory spots where they can write easy tickets for cars speeding after going down a huge hill and no front tag?

I don't plan on staying in my state for very long but here it's a flat fine with no points and non-increasing fine amount so I consider it a "I won't ruin the look of my car and permanently modify the bumper" tax.

Police have been announcing that they're stepping up patrols for distracted driving. $83 fine for using your phone while driving. $75 for no front tag. I like that texting while driving is an $8 higher risk than not running a front tag. I can honestly say I never realized no front tag was so dangerous.

What a joke.
In Alberta, we ditched the requirements for front plates several decades ago, but many of our provinces still require them. I personally don't understand the point behind it, and this is why. I see so many vehicles on the road that have put plates from other provinces or states on the front of their vehicle as some sort of vanity play, and IMHO, those are the ones that should get pulled over and fined.

If you want to put a front plate on that isn't a real license plate, and just the same sized and printed with the logo of your university or college, armed forces affiliations, etc.; I have no concern about that, as they don't create any confusion. But if the vehicle has a used plate from another jurisdiction and there's an incident with that vehicle, you can't rely on using the front plate info as it likely isn't registered to the vehicle.

Reactions: Clutch_22

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

· Registered
3,580 Posts
Anything come of this proposal?
I understand why Ontario still has the front plate, cause the plastic coating on the plate peels off.
That's why they need 2 license plates. We in Quebec we ditch the front plate several decades ago, but at least the coating stays there doesn't peel off.

Reactions: Winding Road Fan

· Registered
396 Posts
I understand why Ontario still has the front plate, cause the plastic coating on the plate peels off.
That's why they need 2 license plates. We in Quebec we ditch the front plate several decades ago, but at least the coating stays there doesn't peel off.
The coating comes off because we went cheap by changing manufacturers.
Also, for a short period, we had blue plates but they stopped those because you could not read them at night.
Welcome to bureaucratic idioticy! Lol.
And yet, we are still stuck with 2 plates.
I think our government just loves to ruin people's front grille design.
Maybe I'll write to the office asking where we stand on this decision.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.