Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Front Mount Intercooler Anyone?

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  fuak 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there are any vendors working on a FMIC for the Spider.

#3 ·
Nice. I'm curious to see how hard it will be to attach the hot and cold side pipes up to their respective places. That hotside pipe looks like it will be a pita to do and I haven't dropped the shroud to see how it will be for the cold side. Have a feeling that this intercooler will look great in the front!

#4 ·
Installation is actually pretty easy. The most difficult part is dealing with the connection at the throttle body. I don't know why Fiat decided to put that underneath the intake manifold, but they did. We will have good instructions with pictures, and I have done it myself a few times so I have some tips I can share.

Greg,

P.S. The 124 intercooler is not the same unit we use in the 500 Abarth, but it's similar, and it does look great behind the grill.

#12 ·
How much do these engines benefit from an aftermarket intercooler?

#14 ·
On a stock engine, a bigger intercooler won't do a lot. The stock intercooler is already pretty big, and can easily handle the amount of heat from stock levels of turbo output.

On a modded car, a bigger intercooler along with less restrictive piping can be a big help, especially on really hot days or during times of severe use. I'll have a lot more details on this when the time comes.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.