Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks a lot. Stupid question: the oem brackets i need are already on the car are they not? And basically the megan beackets fit on top of them...?
Yes, the OEM brackets are on the car. They are holding your coolant tank and wiring in place. Cusco brackets have all all that built in, the Megan bars do not.
Ok that makes sense. What does not make sense in my mind is doubling them up... any idea if the megan bar attaches to the oem brackets or the megan brackets attach to oem brackets and then the bar on to megan brackets?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ok that makes sense. What does not make sense in my mind is doubling them up... any idea if the megan bar attaches to the oem brackets or the megan brackets attach to oem brackets and then the bar on to megan brackets?
If you look at Juan's pic of the Megan bar installed you can see the OEM bracket underneath the Megan bar. It looks like you just double them up and top off with the OEM nuts to hold everything snug. The one thing I don't like about this is that it leaves the OEM bracket threads exposed and unused unless you put the nuts back on them. Even then, I don't think it looks good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey all. Finally got around to installing the megan bar. No matter what i tried, the bar would sit flush on 3 of the 4 mounting points, not all 4. Specifically it would float a few mm over the driver side cowl mount bolt. In the end i had to fit 2 washers under the bar only on the driver's side to get it to sit flush on all 4 attachment points and torqued everything down to spec (see pics).

Seems to me the megan bar is not exactly "true" and looks as though one side of those joints was welded higher than the other.
It has been months since i purchased it and have paid hefty customs so returning it is not an option.

I am worried that under stress the bolt from the cowl mount may snap due to this because the forces are not going to the very bottom of that bolt but a few mm higher. Also worried this could cause alignment issues.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Seems to me that the company (seeing a couple more close-up pics) owes you a free replacement (made correctly), letting you scrap the first (useless) one. As you stated, you may be better off with no bar, than this one. Until you remove it, you may want to simply remove the cowl mount bolts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wanted to thank the OP for the detailed procedure. I found some puddled dirt below the cowl, I took the time to wax and protect the paint under it for the future. I have to go back and readjust the wiper blades a bit too, the swipe is a little short on the driver's side.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts