Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed there's no lock on this door. Today I think all fuel doors have a latch to open, why didn't fiat put one. When I had the fiat 128 3p, I had to insert the door key in the fuel cap to unlock it.

In Europe where gas is expensive, anyone can steal gas with a hose.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The fuel door locks (not the cap) when you lock the car. At least on the US models. But hard to imagine this would not be universal.

Thx, S.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel door locks (not the cap) when you lock the car. At least on the US models. But hard to imagine this would not be universal.

Thx, S.
The Canadian Lusso, just press on the door and it opens, I noticed no latch on the door. Did not check the Abarth

·
Registered
76 Posts
My US based Classica has a locking fuel door as well. This is on a zero optioned 6 spd manual car.

Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have a Canadian Lusso as well. Mine locks together with the doors.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Australian Abarth fuel door also locks (and unlocks) with doors. Frank try locking the car and then pressing on the fuel door; it ought not to open.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your answers sounds encouraging, 2 cars in the show room I was able to click on the door and it opened. Mind you there seemed to be some power on to the car so that's why. I'll check it again when I go back to the dealer to finalize the financial papers

·
Registered
351 Posts
Try it with the car unlocked, then lock it and try again - but make sure you don't have your keys in your pocket when you try it. There's a sensor near the fuel cap that will unlock it if the fob is near.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine locks, small plunger activates with door locks.
I passed by the dealer today, and checked some in the lots, and the lid did not pop up. good

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is supposed to lock; if you check the manual it has the manual unlock procedure to use if the battery is dead. Requires accessing the lock through a trunk panel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Silly, But Possible

Could it be that some folks are popping the fuel door open while they are standing there with the key in their pocket? Just like the trunk lid, no matter how tight the doors are locked, a key in your pocket is sufficient to unlock the fuel door. But no, 124 owners couldn't possibly be that dumb. I must be hallucinating and that isn't the case at all. Sorry.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts