Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a problem with their fuel door not popping open when at the filling station. I ran into this this morning, and I really feared that I was not going to be able to fill. Fortunately it popped as I was about to get back into the car and hobble home. I tried again in the garage and it will not pop open. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Has anyone experienced a problem with their fuel door not popping open when at the filling station. I ran into this this morning, and I really feared that I was not going to be able to fill. Fortunately it popped as I was about to get back into the car and hobble home. I tried again in the garage and it will not pop open. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.
Interesting. I may have the same issue. Before if the fob was in my pocket I could press on the door and it would open. Now I have to hit unlock for it to open. It has been going on the past couple months

·
Registered
40 Posts
This just happened to me and it was quite frustrating as there was someone behind me, waiting to get gas. After about six failed attempts, I went to the driver's side door and opened it and shut it (key was in my pocket), tried the gas tank door, and it popped open. I believe that I had walked far enough from the car that it automatically locked and when I touched the button on the driver's side door, it unlocked. I wonder if disabling the automatic locking feature will solve the problem?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all ....I went to the garage with the fob ...locked and unlocked the car with it ....tried the gas fuel door and it popped right open ...YEAH!!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The lock for the fuel door is tied to the lock for the passenger doors.

Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
101 Posts
The lock for the fuel door is tied to the lock for the passenger doors.

My dealer told me if you lock the doors the fuel door will lock also
One scenario could be
you get out with the fob in your pocket,touch the black lock button when you close the door and she’s all locked up.
Don’t touch that black button on your door handle at the gas station if the fob is on you
Just leave the fob in the car unless of course you have to go in and want to lock it

Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
191 Posts
This should be made into a sticky. Very good information that all owners should know about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Fiat's is the first Owner's Manual that I've actually read through (though it does make for a good sleeping aid, I must say). This little fuel door tid-bit is actually in there.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I feel the walk away lock to be too sensitive. Had this issue, before. Step away from the car to the pump, and the car locks - including the filler door. I’ve disabled that.

Reactions: SteveWy

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get this problem all of the time, by the time I've walked around from the drivers door to the filler flap the car has locked. I just push the button on the passenger door seeing as I'm now stood next to it and the problem is solved.
I want to leave it like that as there are far too many opportunistic thieves about for my liking. The fob stays in my pocket at all times & at home I put it in a shielded wallet to foil those using signal boosters to steal my car.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am guessing that I must have bumped the lock on my door when exiting. Sure had be freaking. I tuck this one away for future reference.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I ran into this problem a few months ago, it was because when the doors lock, the fuel door locks too.

Why?

Probably to prevent people from syphoning gas/petrol from your locked car while you are parked.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I ran into this problem a few months ago, it was because when the doors lock, the fuel door locks too.

Why?

Probably to prevent people from syphoning gas/petrol from your locked car while you are parked.
Some folks may be used to having a separate fuel door release button in the car, whereas this car instead ties releasing the door to the door locks. So for some it may be non intuitive.

My Challenger doesn't have a fuel door lock or release at all, you just pull it open! Crazy.

Reactions: hefbadr and Mike34

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am guessing that I must have bumped the lock on my door when exiting. Sure had be freaking. I tuck this one away for future reference.
Perhaps your door lock settings are causing the doors to lock when you exit and walk away for the car????

Paul

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Paul, I did have it set for auto lock but did not like it, so I had switched back several weeks ago. Probably just a unlucky hit on the black button when I exited the car.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Some folks may be used to having a separate fuel door release button in the car, whereas this car instead ties releasing the door to the door locks. So for some it may be non intuitive.

My Challenger doesn't have a fuel door lock or release at all, you just pull it open! Crazy.
I anticipated a fuel door issue when I got the car. I solved any potential problems by bending back the metal tab that engages the "lock pin"for want of a better term. Just push the fuel door...click open every time....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts