Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Spider used (2600 miles) from a Mercedes Dealer last month. Before buying, I noticed that the front edge of the fuel filler door was about 1/4 inch below (recessed in) the fender line. I questioned it at the time, but, being a Mercedes salesman, the sales rep knew nothing about it. We inspected the door area including the attachment bolts and paint and found nothing suspicious except that the tether for the gas cap was missing. The latch works fine. The attachment bolts for the door do not appear to have been touched since it left the factory. On the other hand, the missing tether makes it look like something has gone on here. 1) Any idea what happened? 2) Is the door easily adjustable? Can you just loosen the two visible bolts and re-position it?

·
Registered
676 Posts
This gas door issue was discussed in the forum a while back. Many of us have the same issue. I tried to adjust mine without success. Why your tether is missing, and if it's related to the issue would be speculation.

It took me a while to accept that it is what it is, and I stopped stressing over it, and staring at it every time I approached the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This reminds me of the early Miata's, they had issues with the popup headlights. The cause is the metal used for the mounting bracket is rather thin, and if you lean on the door (or the Miata popup headlight), it bends. I fixed mine in about 30 seconds by putting my finger in-between the hinge and the body of the car and pushed GENTLY on the rear of the fuel door like I was trying to close it. A couple of tries and it is fixed again. The back side also does not line up, but the fix is the same, slightly bend the metal holding it it out a bit with the tips of your fingers.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Speculation: perhaps the door hinge was bent out when the cas cap was pulled out for some reason, breaking the tether. The resessed door is the result of someone bending it back.

I have noticed that the gas filler door is fairly light, and less than rigid. If you walked past it while open and knocked it, towards the front of the car, I can see it getting bent or broken.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much Improved

Thanks for the information. Based on hefbadr's comment that there apparently are no provisions for adjustment, I decided to just bend it back into place as suggested by toooldtocare. Easier said than done. Maybe mine was further out of position, or maybe I was just too afraid of harming the hinge or spring or paint, but I worked on it for about an hour before I got it close to where it should be. At this point, both the front and back edges are just a little low but the top and bottom are perfect. If you play with anything long enough, it will break, so I'm now going to leave it alone. It is not perfect, but much improved and acceptable. If you aren't aware of it, you probably won't notice that it is just slightly low.
It would be interesting to know what the previous owner did to bend it and break the tether, but I guess we can only speculate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts