Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my Abarth (1600 miles), the fuel range would show 300+ miles when I filled the tank. The other day after I filled the tank, it showed only 264 miles, approximately a 40 mile drop. I decided to fill it up again to see what would happen. It showed 240 miles going in and 239 after filling the tank. Obviously, there is some kind of issue.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them?

·
Registered
480 Posts
unless there was a change in driving habits. has someone else been driving your car? have you been driving less interstate and more city? check on your display and see what your average mileage is. all the distance does is multiply the average mileage by the capacity of the tank...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking maybe it was learning my “lead foot” habits and perhaps the fact that I always drive in Sport mode when it went down to 264. But the not increasing when I filled the tank today threw me. I’ll have to keep an eye on it going forward.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's not very accurate. What it says doesn't match what you can really do. I don't know all the calculations the computer is using, but I've seen better.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As a daily driver I can attest to it definitely changing depending on where I have been driving before I fill up. During the week when I am mostly commuting to/from work, going 50 miles with few stops, it will say 320-330 miles. But if I fill up on the weekend when I am driving around town it will be 260-280.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is definitely wonky. I went out today and it stayed at the same mileage for about 10 miles and then it started going up, not down. Don't know what the issue is, but there's definitely something wrong. As long as my gas gauge works correctly, I should be fine until my first oil change when I'll have them look at it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah mine goes up sometimes as well. It's normal part of the process as it's trying to guess based on your driving how far you can go. I've seen that in every car I've had with the range feature.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah mine goes up sometimes as well. It's normal part of the process as it's trying to guess based on your driving how far you can go. I've seen that in every car I've had with the range feature.
Interesting. I’ve had 5 or 6 vehicles with this feature and have never see it go up, but maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you have been driving in the city and then go for a long highway drive it will likely go up as the average mpg increases. Very common on cars with these readouts.

Interesting. I?ve had 5 or 6 vehicles with this feature and have never see it go up, but maybe I wasn?t paying enough attention.

Reactions: Massi_MY69

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuel range back to 300+ after today's fill up. Perhaps all is back to normal?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Take off the negative battery cable and leave it off for 30 minutes so that all charged capacitors can discharge. Then reattach and tighten down. This should reset the ECU learn function and you can drive like you normally do and it should be more accurate. If you don't want to wait the 30 minutes you can take both cables off and touch them carefully to discharge the system. Then reattach both securely and drive as normal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Take off the negative battery cable and leave it off for 30 minutes so that all charged capacitors can discharge. Then reattach and tighten down. This should reset the ECU learn function and you can drive like you normally do and it should be more accurate. If you don't want to wait the 30 minutes you can take both cables off and touch them carefully to discharge the system. Then reattach both securely and drive as normal.
That works on ECUs with capacitors. A lot of the newer solid state ECUs use Keep Alive Memory (KAM).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Has anyone found a significant change in mileage top down/up? Highway obviously.
Yes. Top up has/had better mileage for me. I can't recall how much, but it was the order of 2 or 3 mpg. It was quite a while ago, on a longer journey, so can't recall the specifics.

I drive with the top down always, though, as MPG isn't an important consideration.

Reactions: Chainringtattoo

·
Registered
192 Posts
That works on ECUs with capacitors. A lot of the newer solid state ECUs use Keep Alive Memory (KAM).
You are incorrect. Removing the battery for some time cable resets the 124 ECU learning for lots of functions (i.e. throttle position calibration for example).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts