Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, getting cold in the northeast. Putting the 124 away until spring. What's your storage routine? Any tips? In particular, any thoughts on fuel stabilizer? Any downsides like possibly voiding a warranty?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have access to non ethanol fuel? If so, do you have time to run a couple tankfuls through? I am not a big fan of storing any equipment with ethanol, then add a fuel stabilizer and run the car enough to run the stabilizer through the entire system. In addition, I run a trickle charger (that has a charge/maintain mode), air up the tires, clean and cover.
Hey guys, getting cold in the northeast. Putting the 124 away until spring. What's your storage routine? Any tips? In particular, any thoughts on fuel stabilizer? Any downsides like possibly voiding a warranty? View attachment 73952

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
SEAFOAM well recomended it does more than gas stablelier. Ask guys who own motorcycles.
I have used it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey guys, getting cold in the northeast. Putting the 124 away until spring. What's your storage routine? Any tips? In particular, any thoughts on fuel stabilizer? Any downsides like possibly voiding a warranty? View attachment 73952
I wash and vacuum the car a couple of days before I put it in storage so it has time to dry. Change the oil, fill the tank and add sta-bil, running the engine long enough to get the sta-bil distributed through the fuel system. I inflate the tires to 40 psi.

I don't think sta-bil will void the warranty if you use it following the instructions on the bottle. I have used it for the last two winters and have never had a problem with it. The engine runs well and seems to have full power in the spring.

I also remove the battery and put the car in a car bag with desiccant canisters in the trunk, the interior, and in the bag itself to keep everything dry.

A mouse got into the bag and the trunk a couple of years ago, so I spread Bounce dryer sheets all over in the inside of the trunk, the interior, behind and under the seats, the area behind the seats that the top folds into, under the hood, and in the bag. I use an entire box of them, 120 count. The Bounce dryer sheets worked well last year, a mouse chewed into the bag, but he didn't go in. You will be able to smell the Bounce dryer sheets for a couple of weeks after you take the car out of storage though. This year, I put a bunch of mousetraps all around the car.

So there you go... My storage routine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have never tried dryer sheet, i put an opened box of mothballs under the car. Seems to work for me (y)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Star Tron additive has been my go to for several seasons for all my winter stored gas powered equipment...cars,mowers,weed wackers, and all...negates any negative long term storage effects of ethanol laced fuels. Was recommended by a municipal worker friend who used it on all his town's equipment for years. Available at most automotive retailers. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Assuming it is an inline device, I'm curious how it stabilizes the fuel IN the tank? Will I be able to see extra power if I use it with my Turbulator intake enhancer?

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are correct. It is an inline device, so the fuel in the tank will still deteriorate, but it conditions fuel as it passes through the canister to make it better than it came out at the refinery so that is a nonissue. I'm not sure to which product you are referring (Turbulator?), but you will see an increase in power. Now I run a drop-in one (and have for years) in my motorcycle and never add fuel stabilizer. I go 6-8 months (especially through winter) without even starting it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My comment about the Turbulator was strictly tongue in cheek. I was referring to your comment about not needing to add stabilizer to the tank. You made a misleading statement, and I was calling you on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@hefbadr Not misleading at all, and I didn't mean for it to come across as such. As long as you're not letting your car sit for years with fuel in the tank until it becomes a varnish or powder then you will be fine. If you just want to store over the winter, and not drive the car, you're gonna be okay. Just fill up with a Top Tier gasoline (I use Shell V-power personally) after you've installed the Fitch and set her up for winter storage (tires, cover, etc.). The canister will recondition the fuel as it enters the fuel rail anyway. I've worked in the motorcycle industry for years and you'd be surprised how old of fuel you can run. I've also cleaned and tuned many a carburetor with unusable fuel in the float bowl (but after years of sitting).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts