Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big thing but just wanted to check if anyone else is having the same thing.

Handbook says that the tank holds 45 litres but when I run the car to empty (zero miles left on the trip) I can only get 38 litres maximum in it? So I guess there's another 7 litres sloshing around in there that's completely unusable unless I run the car for another 50 miles after it says it's empty!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not a big thing but just wanted to check if anyone else is having the same thing.

Handbook says that the tank holds 45 litres but when I run the car to empty (zero miles left on the trip) I can only get 38 litres maximum in it? So I guess there's another 7 litres sloshing around in there that's completely unusable unless I run the car for another 50 miles after it says it's empty!
Yes. We use gallons over here of course, but the guage and remaining drive distance is off by about 2 gallons, making it sadly easy to ignore. Someone said that's the "reserve" but on just about every other car that reserve is already taken into consideration by the computer and the empty tank light.

·
Registered
255 Posts
many modern cars have the fuel pump in the tank. so you need that extra fuel to keep the pump cool.
My Ram truck is the same way. There is about a 6 gallon reserve in my 32 gallon tank. (ie. when my light shows empty I still have at least 6 gallons left).

I think IVe put close to 10 gallons in the fiat 124 one time.

I usually drive both vehicles until the estimated miles left remaining says 0... Knowing ive still got a bit reserved when I hit zero..

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes. We use gallons over here of course, but the guage and remaining drive distance is off by about 2 gallons, making it sadly easy to ignore. Someone said that's the "reserve" but on just about every other car that reserve is already taken into consideration by the computer and the empty tank light.
Same here, when empty is indicated, a fill up is always about 2 gallons shy of advertised tank capacity. Not a huge issue, but that was the first thing I noticed as I was nervously looking for the nearest gas station with the needle on E and the fuel light on!!! Call it reserve if you like, but I wouldn't push my luck too far....

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I fill up at quarter tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good glad it's not just me! the only real niggle in an otherwise fantastic car. I do about 500 miles a week, even at 43mpg average the range is about 360 miles so I'm filling it up a lot more often than my Fiat Punto, I used to get 530 miles out of a tank in that.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have filled up twice since the purchase of my 124 abarth, both times the gauge read empty. the amount of fuel required to fill up was just below 10 us gallons. I guess if I were on a road trip, I would push it a little past the empty level, but it would appear the gauge is calibrated with a two gallon reserve.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smart..Shark..A little FYI guys...

I fill up at quarter tank.
As mentioned above, today's cars have fuel pumps located in the gas tank, and they use the fuel as a cooling agent to keep the fuel pump cool and lubricated .

Running a car fuel tank below 1/4 is not recommended because of two caveats:

It heats up the fuel pump, thus reducing longevity.

Any crap that is slouching at the bottom of your tank will be injested into the pump, fuel filter, and maybe your engine, i.e. water, dirt, and other contaminants.

So, do like the Shark, and fill up when you hit that 1/4 tank line.

Not Sure :x:x

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'll also add: Filling up 'early' means it doesn't cost as much :)

(Used to have a Suburban with a 42 gallon tank...when gas was well over $3 a gallon, it was a time consuming and expensive act to fill up if driven to empty).

·
Registered
560 Posts
As mentioned above, today's cars have fuel pumps located in the gas tank, and they use the fuel as a cooling agent to keep the fuel pump cool and lubricated .

Running a car fuel tank below 1/4 is not recommended because of two caveats:

It heats up the fuel pump, thus reducing longevity.

Any crap that is slouching at the bottom of your tank will be injested into the pump, fuel filter, and maybe your engine, i.e. water, dirt, and other contaminants.

So, do like the Shark, and fill up when you hit that 1/4 tank line.

Not Sure :x:x
Some of this quarter tank stuff dates from when cars had metal gas tanks that were prone to rust in a few years. Not so anymore and while a modern fuel pump is cooled by gas, even a gallon or two in a tank is more than plenty for that as the cooling is internal. Don't let them suck air, though, which is the main concern. In addition, the fuel pumps already pull from the bottom of the tank so anything sitting there is already getting sucked up. (They have their own protective screens/filters also.) So - don't panic if you get down to E - there are already 2 more gallons in there because of the calibration. The warning light gives plenty of warning in any case.
If you really want to be obsessive, then keep levels about half tank or higher to cut down on evaporation and always fill in the morning when its cooler as the cooler the temperature the more dense the fuel.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Some of this quarter tank stuff dates from when cars had metal gas tanks that were prone to rust in a few years. Not so anymore and while a modern fuel pump is cooled by gas, even a gallon or two in a tank is more than plenty for that as the cooling is internal. Don't let them suck air, though, which is the main concern. In addition, the fuel pumps already pull from the bottom of the tank so anything sitting there is already getting sucked up. (They have their own protective screens/filters also.) So - don't panic if you get down to E - there are already 2 more gallons in there because of the calibration. The warning light gives plenty of warning in any case.
If you really want to be obsessive, then keep levels about half tank or higher to cut down on evaporation and always fill in the morning when its cooler as the cooler the temperature the more dense the fuel.
I fill up at a 1/4 tank, but not for any of those reasons. 1/4 tank just means it's time to start looking for a cheap station and make a special trip to get to one when it's on the way somewhere. If I run it down to E I've got to fill up immediately, even if it's inconvenient - and usually at a higher price.

I might run it down to E if there was a consistently cheap station near my house, but there isn't - so I have to do some planning.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've Lost the Gas Tank Game

Having lost the gas tank game on three occasions in a Saturn L-series wagon (and burning out the fuel pump in the process), I'm now in the hunt for a service station, once I'm down to a quarter tank on a road trip.

There's nothing worse than driving down a lonely stretch I-94 in North Dakota, and seeing nothing but "No Services" signs be each exit. :(

I have filled up twice since the purchase of my 124 abarth, both times the gauge read empty. the amount of fuel required to fill up was just below 10 us gallons. I guess if I were on a road trip, I would push it a little past the empty level, but it would appear the gauge is calibrated with a two gallon reserve.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok, let's have some Friday fun (at my expense).

1) How does one change the MPG Ave display to remaining miles? I looked briefly in the Infotainment Center but lost patience and couldn't find it.

2) Gas gauge is on the first line above "E", car is in the commuter lot. Am I going to make it 2 miles to the nearest gas station (without walking)?

Your help is appreciated. Your ridicule is anticipated ;) Flame away, I can take it!

Happy Friday. Happier if I don't walk to the gas station. D'oh!

·
Registered
535 Posts
1) How does one change the MPG Ave display to remaining miles? I looked briefly in the Infotainment Center but lost patience and couldn't find it.
You need to push the Trip Computer button on the dash above the temperature gauge. This changes the display on the dash.

2) Gas gauge is on the first line above "E", car is in the commuter lot. Am I going to make it 2 miles to the nearest gas station (without walking)?
From the previous posts, it sounds like there's a 2 gallon reserve once you hit empty so you should be ok.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No you won't...

Ok, let's have some Friday fun (at my expense).

Your help is appreciated. Your ridicule is anticipated ;) Flame away, I can take it!

Happy Friday. Happier if I don't walk to the gas station. D'oh!
Start walking...LOL. Have a safe weekend...:x:x

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm t-15 minutes, so me time of reckoning approaches.
If you do happen to run out of gas on the way, at least you'll have that much less to walk. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Made it :)

Btw it was simply the Info button. The other just resets the trip.

I see what the others are saying though: range was 6 miles but it only took 9.5 gallons.

In theory there are 2.4 more gallons and another 50 odd miles in there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts