Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago, I switch the GWR midpipe to Orginal midpipe because I think power lost because of back pressure. Today, I discover when I full throttle app. 3000RPM at 4th or 5th gear there is power lost. Power is coming and going, it is momentary. You can see at video which I add to link. My phone is shaking and RPM indicator hesitating to go up. At this moments there is also some sound like a whistle or turbo blow of sound. What do you think? Is there some exhaust leak during full throttle momentary because of pressure Or something other problem?
Again it starts after change the midpipe to stock.

My car 3000KM and My mods are
EC V4 intake
EC phase 1
GFB DV+
PTP blanket
GWR quad exhaust

Thanks for the advice and help

https://youtu.be/iyVX8iIwOLI

https://youtu.be/QQKLl_-uKo0

·
Registered
731 Posts
Have you checked your intake connections and hoses? It certainly sounds like something to do with the turbo.

Only 3rd & 4th gear?

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
479 Posts
perhaps it is the car learning the newer setup and adjusting the fuel trims? with the reduction of back pressure, you may be getting a different reading on your O2 sensor which is making the ecu say wtf.. also while changing the crossover pipe you may have damaged the downstream O2 sensor....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is more noticeable at 4th and 5th I checked V4 connectors all looks okey. There is no sensor on midpipe sensor is before than mipe. I don't think ECU try to learn because there is sound during power lost moments. " pssshhh" or something like this sound. That's why I am thinking air induction or turbo pressure or exhaust pressure problem. Maybe I am wrong. BTW when I have old connectors on EC V4 air intake, one of the hose out during driving and there is continuous whistle during acceleration. But there was no power lost.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Couple of things. First, going from Goodwin midpipe back to stock will increase bachpressure (nominally).

To eliminate a variable of a confused ecu, you could reset it via obd or by disconnecting battery. The timing could be a coincidence if you are hearing a pressure release from the engine bay. The first thing that came to mind in your description was the diverter valve or pressure leak of some sort. Your video confused me a bit as the power seems to be pulsing more than hesitating, so am not sure if I'm seeing a bumpy road or a pulsing engine. Either way, The exhaust doesn't seem directly related to me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couple of things. First, going from Goodwin midpipe back to stock will increase bachpressure (nominally).

To eliminate a variable of a confused ecu, you could reset it via obd or by disconnecting battery. The timing could be a coincidence if you are hearing a pressure release from the engine bay. The first thing that came to mind in your description was the diverter valve or pressure leak of some sort. Your video confused me a bit as the power seems to be pulsing more than hesitating, so am not sure if I'm seeing a bumpy road or a pulsing engine. Either way, The exhaust doesn't seem directly related to me.
Road is flat not bumpy. When it happens momentarily there is sound. That's why I started to think about exhaust or some type of pressure leak. I didn't touch anything except midpipe.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm suspecting something associated with the intake installation, related to the turbo. I believe I've heard that sound before: a fft-fft-fft sound when theres a leak at the intercooler pipe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
SJWhiteley is on target here. I think it has to do with a leak somewhere, DV+ installation, or the ECU. The reason for my suspicion of the DV+ is that they give an option of using the stock spring. Here's how it all works, in case anyone is interested...

If you used the GFB spring, it "shouldn't" be the problem.

If you have the EuroCompulsion tune, drop back to stock and check to see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SJWhiteley is on target here. I think it has to do with a leak somewhere, DV+ installation, or the ECU. The reason for my suspicion of the DV+ is that they give an option of using the stock spring. Here's how it all works, in case anyone is interested...

If you used the GFB spring, it "shouldn't" be the problem.

If you have the EuroCompulsion tune, drop back to stock and check to see if the problem persists.
I use GFB spring. I will check exhaust leak and again V4 air induction connectors and then DV+ Lastly Eurocompulsion phase 1 ECU to stock file

If there is any advices, I appreciate.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Spider
44 Posts
I have a similar problem starting about 3k rpm to 4 k rpm. I have the EDL and when replaced with the bypass plug the bucking is gone. Due to higher turbo pressures produced by the EDL some other component may be failing and not the EDL. The simplest next step for me would be to replace the EDL as a trouble shooting method. This problem has persisted for months but, is now worsening. It also seems to be heat related. No CEL always use 93 octane.
Love this Roadster and the boosted power. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a similar problem starting about 3k rpm to 4 k rpm. I have the EDL and when replaced with the bypass plug the bucking is gone. Due to higher turbo pressures produced by the EDL some other component may be failing and not the EDL. The simplest next step for me would be to replace the EDL as a trouble shooting method. This problem has persisted for months but, is now worsening. It also seems to be heat related. No CEL always use 93 octane.
Love this Roadster and the boosted power. Your thoughts please.
Maybe it is correct. with tune and V4 intake there is more Power or pressure. some of the companents can't handle that much power. It means with tune or EDL has more capable but we need to find and upgrade that part. Before than that I have to solve problem asap. I am ready upset about this issue

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hmmm... I'm using the Max Power ECM on mine and haven't seen this issue.

I don't think that it's a problem with the components, unless I got off quite lucky. I track this Lusso regularly.

My engine set up:

MaxFire ignition coils
MaxPower ECM
GWM RoadsterSport Quad full kit
GFB DV+
Sila turbo blanket

Note: I am not using an aftermarket intake... yet...

Maybe that's a direction to look for the issue?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would double check the line that comes off the inter-cooler pipe that you replaced back on with the updated hose kit. I sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere in the system. That would cause the noise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would double check the line that comes off the inter-cooler pipe that you replaced back on with the updated hose kit. I sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere in the system. That would cause the noise.
Chris, thank you for advice. I will double check. Which one you mentioned 1,2,3?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
"
Chris, thank you for advice. I will double check. Which one you mentioned 1,2,3?
1, all the way down at the other end where the purple clip connects to the intercooler pipe.

Reactions: sdlynx

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"
1, all the way down at the other end where the purple clip connects to the intercooler pipe.
Thank you Chris and Sharkcohen

I uninstalled that purple clip hose and than re install again. Drive 40km test it 5-6 times it is gone. I think that purple and green hose was to much bending force because of location and other hoses, from the top Green side. I relocate it. That's why when is high boast there is pressure leak.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Thank you Chris and Sharkcohen

I uninstalled that purple clip hose and than re install again. Drive 40km test it 5-6 times it is gone. I think that purple and green hose was to much bending force because of location and other hoses, from the top Green side. I relocate it. That's why when is high boast there is pressure leak.
Great, I'm glad you were able to figure out the issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts