Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on a month with the car and have enjoyed every mile with the car. One thing that has amused me is the reaction of people as they try to figure out what it is. I've seen people walking around it and even taking pictures. (Hopefully not car thieves!)
This last weekend I was at Home Depot and a guy in a BRZ pulled up and wanted to talk about it, and their were some country people who were wanting to know what is was. They were amused that it would fit in the bed of their truck, and very confused at the notion of an "Italian" car built in Japan.
I've given enthusiastic reviews of the car - maybe sold a couple for the local dealer.
Sadly - nobody knows who Carlo Abarth was, except us and maybe some old-timers.

Pete

·
Registered
575 Posts
LOL they were amused it would fit in the bed of their truck ! This car definitely turns heads and stirs inquiries. I love that feeling and being able to have those conversations with people who genuinely want to know more about it. There's no better feeling.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Or GMC trucks made in Mexico...

What's really fun is to say "nice Fiat" to someone in a Miata.

Greg

·
Registered
349 Posts
Or GMC trucks made in Mexico...

What's really fun is to say "nice Fiat" to someone in a Miata.

Greg
It hurts them even more if it happens to be a heavily modified Miata, that's the demographic that will make sure you hear it from them :D

Maybe someone should go around with a video camera saying that to Miata owners ;)

Who's up for the challenge?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been getting plenty of looks and such as well, especially when parked. Nobody knows what it is, and especially considering how rare they are and difficult to get, I'm not surprised. It's the first model year of this car entirely (in the past 50 years at least), I imagine I will be getting looks and such for another year at least.

I still get people crowd around it for a bit at the local car meets.

I just love this car so much

·
Registered
727 Posts
Today there was a Chevy truck trailing me for awhile on Pacific Coast Highway. He pulled up to me at a red light and said, "Where in the world did you get those great custom body panels?" Then he looked at my Abarth badging and said, "Oh My God, it's a Fiat!"

I'm finding that young men, especially teens, are particularly bedazzled while traversing crosswalks in front of my car. There's a never-ending sea of thumbs when I drive by the local high school.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm more amused by the truck driver's surprise than the sea of thumbs. They don't expect to see a Fiat with such a nice body.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Today there was a Chevy truck trailing me for awhile on Pacific Coast Highway. He pulled up to me at a red light and said, "Where in the world did you get those great custom body panels?" Then he looked at my Abarth badging and said, "Oh My God, it's a Fiat!"

I'm finding that young men, especially teens, are particularly bedazzled while traversing crosswalks in front of my car. There's a never-ending sea of thumbs when I drive by the local high school.
I too find that young men and teen age boys are the most awestruck by my Lusso.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Our's seems to most attract the attention of twenty-something Asian males who'd normally be driving "slammed" Hondas, Supras and VWs with "wicked stretch". (Okay...I'm stereo-typing).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I seem to get looks everywhere I go, everyone wants to know more about it. I receive thumbs up from people no matter where I am at.

Has anyone noticed the number of guys in so-called musclecar wanting to race you? It's fun to let them get the jump, them wind this baby up and show them what the reall deal is. A quick shot of see ya later then back it back down to normal speeds.

This car is so much fun to drive. It makes my Lexus IS feel like a 77 Lincoln town car (just saying not hating).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Our's seems to most attract the attention of twenty-something Asian males who'd normally be driving "slammed" Hondas, Supras and VWs with "wicked stretch". (Okay...I'm stereo-typing).
Ah the stereo type is pretty on point so I wouldn't worry about it.. I visualized the exact people you were directing this towards lol. The "I vape bros" too ? ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Ah the stereo type is pretty on point so I wouldn't worry about it.. I visualized the exact people you were directing this towards lol. The "I vape bros" too ? ;)
AKA The Fast and Furious crowd

·
Registered
165 Posts
Reactions include a thumbs up from the driver of a Jag XK coming toward me in a turn on CA1 along the Sonoma coast and from Marines at a Toys for Tots collection point in Port Townsend; a 20-something in a back seat who rubbernecked 180° as I passed his car in a parking lot; another 20-something who took iPhone photos from four or five angles while I was parked in the observation lot at the Golden Gate Bridge; and several walk up inquiries from mature adults asking, "what IS that car?." I had a late model Corvette driver get his adrenaline up and jump the line in Fort Bragg where the limit was 25; and every sort of driver in the commute traffic on mountainous Hwy 17 between Santa Cruz and Los Gatos (it's a race through that pass!) ride my ass to see me go. And I took up the challenge, like a young fool.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
End of November, I went to fill it up at COSTCO, and while gazing, the workers (3 of them) left their post and start looking at the car, (this must be a 250HP car), so one asked me what make, I told him ABARTH, the guy was scratching his head what in the world is an Abarth. LOL

At the same time some clients, needed assistance and came over to see the workers, and that brought more people starring at the car, in all by the time I finished gazing, there were a total of 6 people around the car, including the workers. At the end I was blushing. LOL maybe the RED of the car.

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's another worth sharing.
I am at work and someone mentions I just got a new car.
"So what did you get?" asks the non-car guy.
"It's an Abarth 124" I reply.
"A barf?" (puzzled look)
"No. Uh-barth, emphasizing the th."
Puzzlement still evident. Has no idea who/what Abarth is.
"OK, it's sort of a clone of the latest Miata, but it's a Fiat 124"
"But Fiat is Italian - you bought an _Italian_ car?" (eye rolls - head shaking - thinks this is really dumb)
"Yes, but it was built in Hiroshima with Japanese parts. Only the engine is Italian".
"So Fiat has a factory in Japan now?"
"No, it was built in the Mazda assembly plant. Haven't you ever heard of globalization?" He was clearly beyond hearing the tale of how this came about.

At this point he shook his head, mumbled something about needing to get to his meeting and dashed off.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
The head of the Fiat North America, said pronunciation varies even among Chrysler execs but that Europeans, especially Italians, tend to say "eh-BART" while others pronounce the name "AH'-bart" accenting the first syllable. Either way, the "...barth" bit is pronounced "bart".

·
Registered
727 Posts
The head of the Fiat North America, said pronunciation varies even among Chrysler execs but that Europeans, especially Italians, tend to say "eh-BART" while others pronounce the name "AH'-bart" accenting the first syllable. Either way, the "...barth" bit is pronounced "bart".
I pronounce it "ah-bart", mainly because I watched so many European YouTube reviews before I purchased the car. My partner struggles with it, still. Strangers are dumbfounded. Maybe I'll just start calling it a Fiat.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts