Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm approaching one year in my house and I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and make my garage really my own (well, my wife's, too). It's a finished space in that it's sheetrocked but the previous owner left me a massive (and craptacularly constructed) plywood shelving on 2x4 posts. It's not a huge space (19'6" D x 19'10" W x 10'10" H), so I'd like to start over with a blank slate and maximize the utility.

I'm a longtime member of Garage Journal which is a fantastic resource, but I'd like to draw inspiration from you all and how you built your space around your small roadster.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Shelves on wheels. The wire baker's racks that you get at lowes/home depot. You can get a set of wheels for them. Plastic show boxes and other plastic storage boxes on the shelves.

You can move them around, stack them together to make more room to work, then roll em out to access the shelves.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photos for reference.

Big enough to comfortably walk around two small cars but not much else.

Shelving unit is enormous for the space, and the clutter is jabbing my OCD. I have the majority of my tools organized in the basement.

More shelving above the garage door that needs to go. Since I have good ceiling height, one day hoping to convert to a sidemount Liftmaster and raising the door guides to just below the beam. Then getting a 4-post rack on the side opposite the beam to store the 124 when it is retired from daily duty.

Reactions: Dgaustin124

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Photos for reference.

Big enough to comfortably walk around two small cars but not much else.
View attachment 76604

Shelving unit is enormous for the space, and the clutter is jabbing my OCD. I have the majority of my tools organized in the basement.
View attachment 76605

More shelving above the garage door that needs to go. Since I have good ceiling height, one day hoping to convert to a sidemount Liftmaster and raising the door guides to just below the beam. Then getting a 4-post rack on the side opposite the beam to store the 124 when it is retired from daily duty.
View attachment 76606
How about 16 x 8 Kain mate...............

IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

Now if you need inspiration.......Sell on the Abarth wheels to a weightlifter, then consider "Workbench" as a priority and focal point allowing size to include "Vice" area, room for lengths of wood / metal awaiting cutting to stretch out, shelving above for easy access to fluids, electronic tools, or / and spanners /sockets nicely lined up (your OCD).
With all that room you have there Brother I would be looking to keep that left side door area clear, so put your Honda Fireblade 954 along there...What, you don't...! Anyway, as I was saying..front wall workbench, shelving and under bench storage, left side ....right side I would looking at hanging tool boards, grills, ladders... along that one, wall shelving to store your filter boxes or what have you and overalls and if you have a push bike, that too.
Whatever you do sneak the cleaner back indoors and DON'T let the wife advise you.......I get sacks of spuds (potatoes), Dog food, pans of stew...appear and you can see what little space I have to work in. You say you study a garage mag, well start drawings and have fun altering them until you find the one........Dustbin in your garage !
Cheers
ron

Reactions: Kain

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, while I don't envy your garage dimensions I do applaud the thoughtful organization. I find it more useful than someone's 5,000 sq. ft. polebarn on their huge farmstead where they store five cars, a tractor, and moonshine distillery.

I hope to carve out at least a little bit of workspace for woodworking. I'll need to hone my Tetris Fu as the cars will never be parked outside.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
See, while I don't envy your garage dimensions I do applaud the thoughtful organization. I find it more useful than someone's 5,000 sq. ft. polebarn on their huge farmstead where they store five cars, a tractor, and moonshine distillery.

I hope to carve out at least a little bit of workspace for woodworking. I'll need to hone my Tetris Fu as the cars will never be parked outside.
Hmmm....I do like Chicken Foo Yung, but then again I think you are talking about different falling shapes that you have to sort out. My workstation is only 12" wide in two sections as you can see, I built it in that way because "I like to play" but knew space would always be at a premium. Just preparing for a "SILA" turbo blanket fit and drive tomorrow followed by a PTP v DIY v SILA thread staring "Apex Oversteer & Arthur" on completion...... Cheers

IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wish you all the best. I shan't be chiming in as I make do with 19x8...lol

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brexit, need more info on that vintage Abarth badge. I put Grande Punto front/rear on mine because I hate the factory My First Abarth plastic badges.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Brexit, need more info on that vintage Abarth badge. I put Grande Punto front/rear on mine because I hate the factory My First Abarth plastic badges.
Page two "Brexit Mods" has a better angle.....I bought it via "TMC Motorsport", Northern Ireland +44 (0) 355119 or
+44 (0) 2890 507999.....its a gel badge, very good quality and sticky made by "someone" to order for them to sell, (on their website at the time). copy the photo and contact them, they should be able to sort you out. I did remove the crappy FIAT bonnet badge (Brexit Mods) fit an Abarth badge with this one stuck on and it looked even worse, so I removed the large Abarth badge and chucked it, slapped this one on the olf Fiat badge and thought, "Ahhh, Got it"!, refitted the round badge and love it. Cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts

Configuration here -
RaceDeck | Garage flooring | RaceDeck Garage floors

Craftsmen Storage to match the red black theme. Wall hanging system by craftsmen too.

Racedeck tiles comes in several different tile styles, Solid, free flow like mine, different colors, etc. and while epoxy's look great, I went with tiles for ease of install and cost. Just my 2 cents here.
Best of luck on your setup.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Configuration here -

Craftsmen Storage to match the red black theme. Wall hanging system by craftsmen too.
View attachment 76615
View attachment 76613

Racedeck tiles comes in several different tile styles, Solid, free flow like mine, different colors, etc. and while epoxy's look great, I went with tiles for ease of install and cost. Just my 2 cents here.
Very nice. Clean and minimal, just what I'm after. What size is your garage?

·
Registered
793 Posts

Configuration here -

View attachment 76615
View attachment 76613

Nice floor and well-organized garage. We've been advised against tiles because ours is an older house, and the uneven garage floor wouldn't accommodate them well. The remnants of what we believe to be a 30-year-old treatment needs to be stripped before anything is done, and we may yet have the floor leveled.

Is your Spider Brillante or Puro?

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts

Configuration here -

View attachment 76615
View attachment 76613

Just like mine ......

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
His sig says Brillante.

I never put too much thought into a flooring solution like Swisstrax or epoxy. The concrete is in good shape with some stains here and there courtesy of the previous owner. Is there a real functional benefit, like anti-slip (I struggle with this when using ramps) or temperature?

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Yes, it does need a clean....... I'm waiting for the lockdown to be lifted.... View attachment 76650
Wow, aren't you posh lad...a "Double Garage" its called here in the Uk...Yes, I know your Granny's have bigger garages Stateside, but here it's something special, and,Arthur has a petrop mower I see whereas I still push the hand rotary blade around...still , keeps me fit ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice floor and well-organized garage. We've been advised against tiles because ours is an older house, and the uneven garage floor wouldn't accommodate them well. The remnants of what we believe to be a 30-year-old treatment needs to be stripped before anything is done, and we may yet have the floor leveled.

I put those over the old grey peeling epoxy. Pretty level floor, but have seen the work well on not so perfet floors, they are only 12x12 inch tiles and fairly flexible.

·
Registered
179 Posts
His sig says Brillante.

I never put too much thought into a flooring solution like Swisstrax or epoxy. The concrete is in good shape with some stains here and there courtesy of the previous owner. Is there a real functional benefit, like anti-slip (I struggle with this when using ramps) or temperature?
Of course the look is the best benefit, but the dirt falls thru the tiles making the floor stay clean, and then I use the blower to blow it regularly. Dirt under tiles can be blown out thru the tiles. Also I have used the pressure washer to clean spills and the way the tiles are made the water runs out the end nicely and dries quickly. Not slippery when wet. One draw back I have is that you would not want to put the Jack stands on these directly, it may crack them them the way they are vented. I use a small metal plate under them to distribute the weight. Until I get my quickjack 5000. 🤩 thanks for everyone's positive comments.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's mine..... A lifelong dream....... FEATURES: 2-car plus lawn tractor, heated, reel-down shop light and electric, two 8 X 10 workrooms in the back, Racedeck floor, fire extinguisher, full toolbox, modern lighting, custom decorated.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts