Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a tad concerned about my gas mileage on my new 124 Spider. My car computer shows 21 mpg, which is a pretty big leap to 30, which is indicated as an average on my sticker. I'm hoping as it gets more broken in the mpg will increase, as I have been pretty gentle with it so far. What kind of mileage are you folks getting?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
It totally depends on driving conditions and weather. I commute daily in stop and go traffic, and I'm getting about 24. I can get about 40 if it's straight highway.

·
Registered
483 Posts
when a car is new the mileage tends to be a bit lower. some of it may be the excitement of the new car and driving habits being a bit more aggressive (who doesn't like the sound of their new car revving up?). also there is the simple fact the engine has not bedded in completely, the newly assembled parts need the time to bed it and seal up. the rings need to conform to the contours of the cylinder walls and seal. so when engines are new they have a bit more blow by, thus reducing efficiency. in most new cars I have owned, it would appear the mileage continued to improve until I hit about the 10k mark....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm getting a tad concerned about my gas mileage on my new 124 Spider. My car computer shows 21 mpg, which is a pretty big leap to 30, which is indicated as an average on my sticker. I'm hoping as it gets more broken in the mpg will increase, as I have been pretty gentle with it so far. What kind of mileage are you folks getting?
Mike, just for comparison, my 124 Lusso had 38 miles on it when I picked it up 3 months ago. I've never seen less than 30 MPG on a tank of gas. 21 sounds a bit low but as others have said it will improve. Now that the car has 1700 miles on it, I'm seeing just a bit over 30 MPG combined city/highway. Hope this helps.

Bill B.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It totally depends on driving conditions and weather. I commute daily in stop and go traffic, and I'm getting about 24. I can get about 40 if it's straight highway.
Same as I do with 75 percent surface road stop and go and 25 percent freeway. This is with a tune and in sport mode.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Need more details on your driving. Where you take it. How long is the drive. How many stops. What types of roads, traffic conditions, weather conditions.....

As for me,

I tend to do a lot of highway driving with mine, mixed in with city/traffic. I'd estimate 80% is free flowing Highway and 20% is slow/go or city. When I drive to work, it is about 70 miles round trip. The 35 miles in are almost all highway, in which I drive between 60 - 65 mph with no slow/go. On the way home, the 35 miles is mostly slow and go with about 5-7 miles of free flowing highway.

I'll average 36 mpg in this type of driving. If I minimize or eliminate the slow/go driving, I'll get 40 mpg.

My Girlfriend drives like she stole it. The highway is a maze of cars not driving fast enough for her. She will routinely drive at 80+ mph and if she is feeling the need, 100 mph (why she feels the need, I sometimes....really sometimes...wonder). She'll get 26-28 mpg driving like that.

To me, 21 mpg is really unexpected. Have you reset the MPG indicator after filling up to see what you are getting on a tank to tank basis?

·
Registered
535 Posts
21 mpg sounds really low even for a new car. I've been averaging a little over 28 mpg since I picked the car up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
not that I worry about gas mileage (I figure it's like riding a bike.. ) but anyway
published numbers:
MPG: Up to 26 city / 35 highway

I figure I get +300 miles on a tank before I have to fill up, so high 20's for sure.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I suspect the first few 'miles' is really dragging the mpg down. As Codyroo says, reset the indicator and then drive like you normally would on a tank or two.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gotta say, I'm with Bob on this one. MPG has never crossed my mind.

I also always put 93 octane in. For a few pennies more per gallaon than 91 the difference is immaterial. To me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I get about 36 cruising the interstate and 24-30 around town depending on how heavy my foot is and the which mode the car is in. I have the EC Phase 1 tune on mine as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks. I'm now experiencing a major increase in mpg. Could it be due to me switching from mid grade octane gas to premium or that I'm paying more attention to how I'm driving? I'm betting it's a little of both. My gauge is now showing around 30mpg, so I'm getting happier every day!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My average mpg is 27.1 but I only have 389 miles on the car so far and live in a retirement community where the speed limit is 15 mph and I’ve done very little highway driving.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
gas mileage

This thread should be split lol. Is you car stock? Then you might be getting great mileage. P1? not so good and to be expected. P2? they are not here, they would have to go to the dictionary to learn what gas mileage is. I have the P1 with the P2 on the way, and planning to dust off my dictionary:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just picked up my Red Abarth. Bought an SD card for Navigation $75 on EBAY. Sellers said or best offer. I offered $75, they took it. IT WORKS. Dealer wanted$400. Re-badged car. Covered Fiat steering wheel badge with ABARTH logo, looks much better. Put a Scorpion Silver Emblem on grill looks fantastic. Rear of car Italian(Italy) badge and Abarth tributo Ferrari badge on sides of License plate. In future I will take pictures and put it on forum site. All these add on were ideas from other members on this forum. Thank you. Joel Lawrence

·
Registered
104 Posts
After 18 months and 5000 miles my stock Spider has averaged 30.5 mpg. That's with mixed driving including in-town, highway, and back roads. I've noticed that conditions and driving style have a huge impact on the fuel economy. If I press it hard and enjoy some fast acceleration, the fuel economy goes way down. When I take it easy and cruise along, the fuel economy improves dramatically. I don't think about fuel economy much, if at all, while driving. I just enjoy the car. So I'm very pleased with the overall fuel economy of 30.5 mpg. I run 91 octane since that is what is recommended by the manufacturer. 91 octane is sold in my area for premium fuel. Based on what I've read, trying to save a few $ with a lower octane fuel is a bad tradeoff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bog standard Abarth 124 Scorpione here, just over 1,000 miles on the clock.

My commute is 13 miles each way, 2 or 3 miles of city traffic then the remainder on 50/60mph A roads. Currently get something like 35-38mpg avg, mainly because the roads are so busy and there is very little chance for overtaking. On a clear road when I get the chance to put my foot down now and again it's something sub-30.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts