Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where you at and how much? Im In northwest Indiana and filled up tonight. 93 octane at $4.02 a gallon. Last year at this time was $2.40 Regular was $1.79 The gas station I use is in a price war with one up the street. Other stations within 5 minutes from them are charging $4.39. Shes now resting in her cocoon for the winter. No more premium to purchase till next April or so. Kinda afraid to think what it will be next spring. Kurt

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Premium is right around $4.00 here in the PNW. But I don’t really care given that I get 30 MPG without even trying.

·
Registered
334 Posts
$7.14 (equivalent) for standard unleaded in the UK, about 70% of which is tax. I do always chuckle when I see/ hear Americans ‘complaining’ about gas prices. @Dancap I’m not sure you can blame your government for this one, the global market price for oil has nearly doubled due to high post pandemic demand, once supply catches up things will settle down I am sure.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
$7.14 (equivalent) for standard unleaded in the UK, about 70% of which is tax. I do always chuckle when I see/ hear Americans ‘complaining’ about gas prices. @Dancap I’m not sure you can blame your government for this one, the global market price for oil has nearly doubled due to high post pandemic demand, once supply catches up things will settle down I am sure.
Gas prices here look expensive if you have to pay $500-$1,000 every month for the most basic healthcare insurance that doesn’t cover much the day you need a doctor.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We need to stop comparing everything to last year. Nobody drove last year, and everything throttled back. Exploration, pumping, refining, storing....and takes a while to bring things back. Pretty sure crude prices are dropping already. We'll be fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gas prices here look expensive if you have to pay $500-$1,000 every month for the most basic healthcare insurance that doesn’t cover much the day you need a doctor.
Fair point, though the health service here isn’t free, we pay a national insurance of 6% or so which contributes to that and also, I think generally we have higher taxation, for instance our sales tax is 20%, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ironically, I was driving more last year than this.

Thanks to COVID, our mountain roads were clear of traffic...and idiots in general.
I too find since restrictions started to be lifted that there are a lot more angry drivers on the road this year. Hasn't stopped me from putting on the miles, but I'm definitely more aware driving an open, tiny vehicle now than ever before.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
459 Posts
NJ @ ~$4.00/gallon for 93.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,485 Posts
$3.60ish for 87 and around $4 for 91 in AZ. SoCal is nuts running almost $5 for regular. I filled the rental truck in Quartzite on the way to CA and then put just enough in San Bernadino to get me back to AZ to fill again.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
661 Posts
$3.79/gal for Valero 93 Top Tier in central Texas. I could get it about 40-50 cents cheaper per gallon if I go to Sam's Club...but for the ten gallons the car takes per fill up, I'd rather just stick with the Top Tier brands. Sam's is not listed in the Top Tier brands.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
825 Posts
$3.95.9/gallon for Top Tier 93 Octane at the Mobil station in Yarmouth, Maine USA today. Best,

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
For what it's worth, as of today (and converted from CAD per litre to US dollars per US gallon), in Calgary we're paying what equates to $4.95 USD per US gallon for 91 octane ($1.649 CAD per litre). Our prices are always about 20 ~ 25% higher than what's paid south of our border, but it's still a drop in the bucket compared to gas prices in Europe. But to get the cheapest dinosaur juice (yes, I know technically that's an inaccurate comment, but I like the sound of it)... the mid-east is where fuel is extremely cheap. Egyptians and Saudis pay about a third of what we do in Canada, and those lucky Kuwaitis pay about 20% of what we do.

Every time I want to whine about the high cost of fuel, I have to remember that it's our government that's taking 30% in taxes at the pump, and that in other parts of the world, the prices can easily be double what I'm shelling out at the pump. It also goes a long way in explaining why huge SUVs and pick-ups are so popular in North America.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
We need to stop comparing everything to last year. Nobody drove last year, and everything throttled back. Exploration, pumping, refining, storing....and takes a while to bring things back. Pretty sure crud prices are dropping already. We'll be fine.
As long as any price increases keep pace with last years inflation, though.

·
Registered
850 Posts
In the past it used to be 10 cents more for mid grade, and another 10 cents for premium. Now it’s more like 50 and 50. One explanation was that there are now more cars that recommend/require higher octane. Thus more people willing to pay up.

My former brother in law loved to complain about gas prices, yet somehow always managed to buy a new truck every two years and 50 dollar bottles of whiskey. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts