Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that after the "auto" feature on the pump hose cuts off, I can still.... (slowly)..... get three more gallons into the tank. Not a problem, just a comment.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It is not a good idea to "top off" your tank! I just read another article on this Sunday.

The fuel emissions canister is filled with charcoal, which traps and stores fuel vapors to keep them from escaping into the air while your car is parked. When you start the engine, a valve opens to allow those vapors to get sucked into the engine emptying the canister, readying it for the next time.

If you keep pumping gas once the nozzle clicks off, you may be forcing gasoline into the canister, [which can ruin it and result in the inability to fill your tank (blocked vent) in the future, and possibly requiring replacement (around $800-$1,000].

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I really want a larger gas tank, even when filled up to the brim it says range 190 miles :/

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I really want a larger gas tank, even when filled up to the brim it says range 190 miles :/
Yeah it makes that drive to the Dominican Republic a stretch, huh.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yeah it makes that drive to the Dominican Republic a stretch, huh.
It makes any decent (30+ minutes) drive a stretch lol. I hear that the ND doesn’t burn so much fuel though, even while being driven properly and having more power. This engine is a bit old now :p

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Mini fill some Jerry cans and put them in your trunk and hose them to your gas tank, only time you'll stop is to go to the bathroom😫

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Mini fill some Jerry cans and put them in your trunk and hose them to your gas tank, only time you'll stop is to go to the bathroom😫
By that logic I could downsize to a 5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
291 Posts
190 miles seems a little low to me, what are other tork tunes owners miles per tank?

I'm non tuned, so I can't compare apples with apples, but in the city and with sport mode on as soon as the engine is up to temp I get minimum 420km. Highway 550-590km.

I find this car to be super frugal on fuel, my last modified turbo car used around 33l/100km or 7.128 mpg running E85. That's what happens when you modify a turbo car!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
190 miles seems a little low to me, what are other tork tunes owners miles per tank?

I'm non tuned, so I can't compare apples with apples, but in the city and with sport mode on as soon as the engine is up to temp I get minimum 420km. Highway 550-590km.

I find this car to be super frugal on fuel, my last modified turbo car used around 33l/100km or 7.128 mpg running E85. That's what happens when you modify a turbo car!
Mpg works fine (22-30mpg) when not on it.

But I’m always in sport mode and usually on it, and distances aren’t that long and sometimes there’s traffic/lights.

·
Registered
161 Posts

My tork turned abarth is sitting at 30.6 mpg. Mainly backroad 50 - 65 mph 20 mile day drive. Automatic transmission. In sport mode most of the time.

·
Registered
742 Posts

I'm averaging 22-29 mpg (8-10 l/100km) under all city driving and no highway, with normal acceleration (same rate as everybody else on the road).

On highways I can get as low as 36 mpg (6.5 l/100 km) if I drive at the speed limit (100 km/h) but that's almost impossible. Driving at the speed limit I mean. At a more reasonable speed of 130 km/h I get about 29-30 mpg.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
On highways I can get as low as 36 mpg (6.5 l/100 km) if I drive at the speed limit (100 km/h) but that's almost impossible. Driving at the speed limit I mean. At a more reasonable speed of 130 km/h I get about 29-30 mpg.
How is 130 km/h more reasonable than 100 km/h? I'm betting that your speed limit is a typo. Did you mean 160 km/h?

·
Registered
742 Posts
My 2018 Lusso is a stick. I consistently get 30 plus mpg around town. 38-39 on the highway, over 40 if I obey the speed limit.
Is that US gallons or Imperial gallons? And at what speed?

I managed 47 mpg once, and that was by drafting behind a semi truck at 80 km/h through a construction zone.

409270A9-CD5F-4CFC-8F4A-92BDE355F2DC.jpeg

That was way back when my car was stock. I haven’t tried this post-tune but at low loads (daily driving), fuel economy seems to be unchanged. It’s only when you’re actually making more power than stock (e.g. at full throttle) that fuel consumption increases.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fitch fuel catalysts have always worked well for me. I've gotten up to 5 mpg more by installing them. I usually put one on every vehicle I own. A slight bump in power is a bonus. As of right now, they don't offer for FIAT, but I'm waiting on them to get back to me to see if they have a universal that might work or if they are developing one for us.

Now I don't recommend this to anyone unless you research extensively and trust what you're doing, but I added Acetone to my fuel in college and got way better gas mileage. I'm not sure how our modern fuel injection and sensors would react, but there is usually legislation in Congress that tries to make acetone a permanent fuel additive in gasoline. Acetone breaks the surface tension of the fuel (just like soap in water) and allows for it to be burned easier. My testing found that 4 ounces to every 10 gallons were about the upper limit of returns for my 1998 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6 with manual transmission. I'm sure the application would vary. You can buy it by the gallon at paint stores (100% pure acetone), a funnel, and a measuring flask is all you need. And maybe a rag. My Tacoma had a 17.5 gallon tank. So I would keep 7 ounce capped vials of the stuff behind my seat. I would run her empty, add a vial, and fill her up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts