Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Fitch fuel catalysts have always worked well for me. I've gotten up to 5 mpg more by installing them. I usually put one on every vehicle I own. A slight bump in power is a bonus. As of right now, they don't offer for FIAT, but I'm waiting on them to get back to me to see if they have a universal that might work or if they are developing one for us.

Now I don't recommend this to anyone unless you research extensively and trust what you're doing, but I added Acetone to my fuel in college and got way better gas mileage. I'm not sure how our modern fuel injection and sensors would react, but there is usually legislation in Congress that tries to make acetone a permanent fuel additive in gasoline. Acetone breaks the surface tension of the fuel (just like soap in water) and allows for it to be burned easier. My testing found that 4 ounces to every 10 gallons were about the upper limit of returns for my 1998 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6 with manual transmission. I'm sure the application would vary. You can buy it by the gallon at paint stores (100% pure acetone), a funnel, and a measuring flask is all you need. And maybe a rag. My Tacoma had a 17.5 gallon tank. So I would keep 7 ounce capped vials of the stuff behind my seat. I would run her empty, add a vial, and fill her up.
Adding acetone to fuel to improve mileage has been widely debunked as a myth and potentially harmful to your engine. But good luck with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It worked for me. @Chainringtattoo Ethanol is harmful to our fuel lines and degrades them plus absorbs moisture, but yet 10% is federally mandated (E10) and people put E85 in cars that are flexfuel ready. All I can tell you is I saw a measurable increase in mpg from running just gasoline to running gasoline plus acetone. I'm not condoning nor advising anyone to try it. It will absorb moisture. It is a solvent. It does cost $20-$25 per gallon. Just speaking from personal experience, but I ran it in every tank of fuel for two years with zero issues.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It worked for me. @Chainringtattoo Ethanol is harmful to our fuel lines and degrades them plus absorbs moisture, but yet 10% is federally mandated (E10) and people put E85 in cars that are flexfuel ready. All I can tell you is I saw a measurable increase in mpg from running just gasoline to running gasoline plus acetone. I'm not condoning nor advising anyone to try it. Just speaking from personal experience. I ran it in every tank of fuel for two years with zero issues.
No, nothing that is remotely modern has fuel lines that are harmed or degraded by ethanol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My tork turned abarth is sitting at 30.6 mpg. Mainly backroad 50 - 65 mph 20 mile day drive. Automatic transmission. In sport mode most of the time.
Same 👍😎🚘

·
Registered
150 Posts
@chilicharger665 I respectively disagree. I am a certified motorcycle repair technician who went to school two years for that certificate. And I've been a manager with a dominate quick lube franchise for several years who recieved ASE certified training all the time. And my bachelor's degree is based in science. Water, which is the universal solvent, will dissolve anything given enough time. So ethanol, which is a more chemically reactive solvent, especially in the short term, will degrade what it touches in some form or fashion (i.e. neoprene fuel lines). Granted, neoprene is very chemically inert so it would take a long time. The moisture absorption to me is more of a concern since alcohol is anhydrous and hygroscopic. Not to mention there is less potential energy in a gallon of E85 than there is in a gallon of gasoline without ethanol. You can't imagine how many additives are in your fuel already (just like engine oil).

·
Registered
150 Posts
UPDATE: I am now working with Advanced Power Systems Int’l to develop a Fitch Fuel Catalyst for our 124 Spiders! I will keep the community up to date on the development.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
190 miles seems a little low to me, what are other tork tunes owners miles per tank?

I'm non tuned, so I can't compare apples with apples, but in the city and with sport mode on as soon as the engine is up to temp I get minimum 420km. Highway 550-590km.

I find this car to be super frugal on fuel, my last modified turbo car used around 33l/100km or 7.128 mpg running E85. That's what happens when you modify a turbo car!
Agreed regarding the fuel economy.

With sport mode not engaged, I typically get around 500 to 550+ km (300 to 330 miles) per tank with mixed resdiential/freeway driving. Interestingly enough, if I use octane booster to take my octane up to 95 (from 91 at the pump), I've gotten nearly 760km (450 miles) out of a tank performing purely highway driving at speeds between 90 to 100kph (mountain road trip earlier this summer).

I have to repeat that run using stock 91 octane to see what the difference is. It could have been a purely placebo effect, and though I've worked in the OG&C industry, I'm assuredly neither a process nor chemical engineer. I certainly know I don't get that level of fuel economy when I drive on higher speed freeways or the Interstates in the western US... but then again, the average speed I'd be driving in those conditions would be between 115 to 135kph (67 to 85 mph). That does make a difference, as does engaging the Sport button, as I am running a tune on my vehicle. Both scenarios snort fuel, and combined it can be considerable. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts