Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at the Abarth124 (the only model available in Oz) for a couple of years now and must have watched every Youtube video available. Finally sold my old classic in late June (1968 Alfa GTV 1750) and bought one over the phone a week later. All the time I was looking there were plenty available online, however during June when our Covid restrictions began to ease, and the announcement that production had stopped, they suddenly started to disappear. When I bought mine (2nd hand) there were only 3 manuals on the market and all black. So naturally I bought a black one. I flew from Sydney to Melbourne on a Sunday morning and drove it home - about 880 kms.
Mine is a 2016 Launch Edition (1 of 100) so it has all the fruit except the Recaro seat option, however I really like the Abarth seats in red & black. I paid $AUD27k for it with 37000kms on the clock.
Since buying it I've replaced the heavy original wheels with some lightweight Enkei's fitted with Hankook Ventus RS4 semi-slicks. This has transformed the handling to a new level. I also had the ECU remapped by Tunehouse Racing in Marrickville Sydney. My instructions were to make it as safe as possible for track use with any power increase secondary. It's now producing 112 kw/ 252nm at the wheels. You can really feel that extra 50nm's of torque available from lower in the rev range. Only other upgrades were GFB diverter, BMC air filter, oil catch can (not really required), black side mirror covers, and an upgrade to the entertainment system that I discovered on this forum.
I've now done about 7500 kms including 3 track days and I am absolutely loving this car. It handles like a dream and goes like no 1.4l should. All of my friends who have driven it have all been very impressed. One of them went and bought one a week after driving mine. I did a couple of drives with a friend of mine who has a manual Porsche 911 on the old Pacific Highway north of Sydney (a favourite haunt of motorbikes and Highway Patrol) and he could not get away from me on the twisty bits. Very embarrassing. On the track it has also shown up a lot of bigger capacity machines. Last time out at Luddenham in western Sydney it was 11th fastest time out of 35 cars - many Evo's, WRX's and Honda Vtecs behind me. As a side note the last 23 laps were done in torrential rain and I couldn't believe how well the RS4's hung on in the wet.
Looking forward to picking up some useful tips on the forum.
Cheers,
Wazza

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
406 Posts
Very nice find! Welcome to this site from the other side of the globe. Sounds like you're all set for a real fun "ownership experience".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been looking at the Abarth124 (the only model available in Oz) for a couple of years now and must have watched every Youtube video available. Finally sold my old classic in late June (1968 Alfa GTV 1750) and bought one over the phone a week later. All the time I was looking there were plenty available online, however during June when our Covid restrictions began to ease, and the announcement that production had stopped, they suddenly started to disappear. When I bought mine (2nd hand) there were only 3 manuals on the market and all black. So naturally I bought a black one. I flew from Sydney to Melbourne on a Sunday morning and drove it home - about 880 kms.
Mine is a 2016 Launch Edition (1 of 100) so it has all the fruit except the Recaro seat option, however I really like the Abarth seats in red & black. I paid $AUD27k for it with 37000kms on the clock.
Since buying it I've replaced the heavy original wheels with some lightweight Enkei's fitted with Hankook Ventus RS4 semi-slicks. This has transformed the handling to a new level. I also had the ECU remapped by Tunehouse Racing in Marrickville Sydney. My instructions were to make it as safe as possible for track use with any power increase secondary. It's now producing 112 kw/ 252nm at the wheels. You can really feel that extra 50nm's of torque available from lower in the rev range. Only other upgrades were GFB diverter, BMC air filter, oil catch can (not really required), black side mirror covers, and an upgrade to the entertainment system that I discovered on this forum.
I've now done about 7500 kms including 3 track days and I am absolutely loving this car. It handles like a dream and goes like no 1.4l should. All of my friends who have driven it have all been very impressed. One of them went and bought one a week after driving mine. I did a couple of drives with a friend of mine who has a manual Porsche 911 on the old Pacific Highway north of Sydney (a favourite haunt of motorbikes and Highway Patrol) and he could not get away from me on the twisty bits. Very embarrassing. On the track it has also shown up a lot of bigger capacity machines. Last time out at Luddenham in western Sydney it was 11th fastest time out of 35 cars - many Evo's, WRX's and Honda Vtecs behind me. As a side note the last 23 laps were done in torrential rain and I couldn't believe how well the RS4's hung on in the wet.
Cheers,
Wazza View attachment 80248
Looks Great!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Cheers,
Wazza View attachment 80248
Welcome from Scotland. Nice to see silver wheels on another Abarth!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great write up Wazza really enjoyed reading it. Interested to hear you prop Tunehouse, I'll keep them in mind - I'm in the ACT so not that far away. Very interested in reading the work you've had done and how well it performs. This is one seriously underrated car and that suits me fine. I have a few power mods planned, but so far running modded suspension & wheels. Oh, mine too is black

Attachments

Reactions: azzura

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great write up Wazza really enjoyed reading it. Interested to hear you prop Tunehouse, I'll keep them in mind - I'm in the ACT so not that far away. Very interested in reading the work you've had done and how well it performs. This is one seriously underrated car and that suits me fine. I have a few power mods planned, but so far running modded suspension & wheels. Oh, mine too is black
Gday Mate. Your car looks great. I'd be interested in your feedback re the ride comfort after installing the springs. I've got some H&R springs on order but worried that the already firm ride might be too hard.
Cheers,

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's all a trade off, depends what you're after. Car rides & handles well, not too stiff, but I plan on adding coilovers. That'll make it stiffer but will handle better. Few bumps in the back lane roads round here, so coils will help with that and improve cornering.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome Wazza

I suggest you join the local 124 Abarth FB page - it you have not already done so. A nice group of ppl with meet ups, cruises

Tunehouse - interesting, some debate on how they tune Abarths (albeit the 500's). Have you the before and afters ?? My mechanic is just up the road from there

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy the car as much as we do over here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts