Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 2018 Lusso with manual transmission. I test drove a 2017 classica with the manual, but didn't take notice of the gear indicator display in the tachometer. Does this display anything with the manual or just the automatic? There are no more Spiders in my area to check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the manual it displays what gear you're in after you let out the clutch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Silly question, I know, but I thought it would be weird for that big display on the tach just to be blank.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For those of us with Abarths, the display also shows whether you are in Sport mode or not.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The manual says it will also tell you when it's a good time to shift with a 1-2, 2-3, etc. Maybe I'm changing too soon, but I've never seen it. I usually go into 2nd around 20, etc, and half the time I forget I've got a 6th gear because my Jetta is only a 5 speed....duh.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you opted for the comfort and convenience package, it shows you if your passenger farted. Seriously, I am so happy that there is no upshift suggestion light. I had a Hyundai Veloster, and that thing drove me crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With a manual gearbox, I find the info quite useful as a reminder not to over rev the engine or that I am using more fuel than necessary. Also, after years of driving cars with five gears, I keep forgetting that this car has six. For example when in fifth gear it sometimes suggests I might move up to sixth. A nice touch which I appreciate.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What and where does it tell you to upshift? Does it also tell you to downshift?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
In the city I bearly use the 6th, only in highway. With the 5th I have plenty of power to overtake other cars.

The upshift is in my ears. LOL I shift by ear and when too noisy, the vibration of the car tells me to shift.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Its utterly pointless. A compass indication, for example, would have been much more useful.
If you are referring to the gear indicator I have to disagree since I have been riding motorcycles for years and only one, a ZX-14, had a gear indicator and I loved it. I don't refer to it that often but if you are autocrossing, racing or just cruising around it is nice to see what gear you are in without looking down at the gear shifter (that one cannot do on a motorcycle).

·
Registered
114 Posts
What and where does it tell you to upshift? Does it also tell you to downshift?
The gear indicator shows the gear number it thinks you should be in, there aren't any flashing lights or beeps. Its not intrusive and I normally ignore it but sometimes it comes in useful when I've pulled onto the motorway in 4/5th amongst a group of HGVs doing 50ish and can't hear the engine & have got distracted with the threat of being crushed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The gear indicator shows the gear number it thinks you should be in
In my experience, it shows the gear number that you are in, not the one it thinks you should be in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts