Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 124 Spider is getting prepped for spring tomorrow! Fired it up yesterday to warm up the oil so I could extract it, got the annual oil analysis sample pulled, and will be filling it back up tomorrow.

If anyone isn't yet ready and wants to get a head start, here are a few products that can help you get started for the year.

- Engine Oil. AMSOIL 5W-40 Classic ESP European Formula has been proving to be a fantastic option in oil analysis while also being affordable (especially by the 12-quart case). For convenience, AMSOIL also carries the Wix oil filter for these engines. AMSOIL 5W-40 is backed by a comprehensive warranty against any lubrication-related engine failure while the oil is being used.

- Brake fluid. Especially those of you that drive in a spirited fashion, brake fluid should be flushed out every 2-3 years as water contamination reduces its boiling point and can, over time, contribute to brake fade and a spongy brake pedal feel. 3 bottles should cover the brake system and clutch. AMSOIL's DOT3/4 brake fluid has a particularly high 520F boiling point, and AMSOIL's Dominator Racing brake fluid increases that further to 580F.

- Top End Cleaner. AMSOIL Performance Improver is a concentrated, highly potent PEA (polyether-amine) based top end cleaner that effectively cleans injectors, valves, combustion chamber, and pistons. I've personally verified its performance on another 1.4L Turbo using a borescope down the spark plug holes. Of particular importance is injector cleanliness, as this reduces fuel dilution (which our engines are susceptible to according to oil analysis).

- Gear/Differential Oil. AMSOIL 75W-90 Severe Gear in the Easy Pack packaging is the easiest differential fluid change you'll probably ever do. I've been using this for over a year and it has been working flawlessly in my car, with no LSD chatter. Note: This product isn't officially recommended by AMSOIL Inc as FCA has not released the spec of the OEM fluid, but AMSOIL does recommend it for the ND Miata, which uses the same differential and LSD, with different gearing. 1 quart is enough to service our differentials.

If anyone is interested in getting a "spring prep package," I can get it shipped to you anywhere in the USA or Canada. We also have a Preferred Customer account option, which provides a 25% discount and free shipping on orders over $100. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I can get you set up with either the account or a quote for a custom order.

·
Registered
550 Posts
- Top End Cleaner. AMSOIL Performance Improver is a concentrated, highly potent PEA (polyether-amine) based top end cleaner that effectively cleans injectors, valves, combustion chamber, and pistons. I've personally verified its performance on another 1.4L Turbo using a borescope down the spark plug holes. Of particular importance is injector cleanliness, as this reduces fuel dilution (which our engines are susceptible to according to oil analysis).

View attachment 75138
Andrei, what is the recommended frequency usage of the Top End Cleaner? I'm interested on this product for both my Spider and daily driver (Mitsubishi RVR / Outlander Sport, 2.0L). Once a year? Every oil change?

Thanks

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrei, what is the recommended frequency usage of the Top End Cleaner? I'm interested on this product for both my Spider and daily driver (Mitsubishi RVR / Outlander Sport, 2.0L). Once a year? Every oil change?

Thanks
AMSOIL's recommendation is every 4,000 miles. However, if you're using top tier fuel, I'd say once every 5,000-10,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
This reminds me I need to buy some oil!

The Preferred Customer option is sooo worth it folks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts