Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And unfortunately......good luck with possible resale and future value...kinda sucks with such a nice vehicle...
It would be unfortunate for them to leave the U.S. market again. When I initially heard Fiat was reviving a classic two-seater, I was excited about the possibility of it being the mid-engine rear-wheel-drive X1/9, but I wasn't disappointed with the 124 Spider.

·
Registered
351 Posts
While quality & reliability of Mini isn't great, I believe the reason is because it doesn't have Fiat's negative reputation.
Precisely. Mocking FIAT is trendy, mocking Mini for the same problems isn't.

"Reputation" becomes a self-reinforcing meme. I'm not defending FIAT's quality, as they certainly have issues, but the difference isn't as big as lazy journalists make it out to be.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
They certainly had hoped that the release of the 124 would boost their overall sales numbers and help bring buyers back to the brand...from these numbers this is not happening...in fact the downward spiral is continuing...there are several dealerships out here that are just Fiat/Alfa dealers...I spoke with the manager of the dealership that sold me my car while he was offering me a job selling Alfa Romeos ...I asked him what their monthly sales numbers were...not sure how they were paying their overhead with their sales numbers...I don't think they will make it unless their sales pick up considerably...the Mopar dealers that are cross selling the brand may keep them around longer...such a shame...hopefully spring will pull them up some...I guess we will see...:(

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Oh, come on... Why? Why? I'm in love, this can't be happening! My car should have just rolled off the production line in recent days, destined to be here later this spring. Deposit was given but no purchase agreement yet signed. This pains my heart. How do I buy a car when the future of my needed support system could be in question?

Steve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Been trolling on here since I bought my Abarth in January. But this post got me motivated. If you search this "journalist," Mr. McIntyre, you'll discover that he publishes vitriol directed at Fiat--and Fiat exclusively--every 30 days or so. Like clockwork. He has an agenda, though I haven't figured it out. I tried calling him out in a private email but no response. He does not post this kind of commentary on any other car company. I don't know what got this dude's panties in a bunch but you should not take his so-called "columns" very seriously. Every body knows Fiat Chrysler has challenges, but imminent collapse is not one of them. Marchionne is looking for a partner to scale up production and reduce expenses. Eventually he will find one. As for McIntyre, he has no objectivity whatsoever. Look to stock analysts for objective commentary.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I agree with the comment that this "journalist" has no love for the Fiat brand but unfortunately all of his numbers are correct...I am not overly concerned that Fiat as a company will close...my concern is that the dealerships like out here in the Phoenix area that are solely Fiat/Alfa dealers will not have enough sales to keep their doors open...I assume they would be honored through the Mopar dealerships if this were to happen and we do have plenty of them out here...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been trolling on here since I bought my Abarth in January. But this post got me motivated. If you search this "journalist," Mr. McIntyre, you'll discover that he publishes vitriol directed at Fiat--and Fiat exclusively--every 30 days or so. Like clockwork. He has an agenda, though I haven't figured it out. I tried calling him out in a private email but no response. He does not post this kind of commentary on any other car company. I don't know what got this dude's panties in a bunch but you should not take his so-called "columns" very seriously. Every body knows Fiat Chrysler has challenges, but imminent collapse is not one of them. Marchionne is looking for a partner to scale up production and reduce expenses. Eventually he will find one. As for McIntyre, he has no objectivity whatsoever. Look to stock analysts for objective commentary.
Regardless of the journalist's agenda, the numbers can't be disputed. Marchionne has been bleeding Jeep & Ram to keep Fiat & Alfa Romeo alive. He claimed the sales of the 500 & 4C would be vast, but it didn't materialize. Dodge is running on an aged platform due to lack of research & development funding. Instead of introducing the Giorgio platform on a new Charger & Challenger, which would've made fiscal sense, he introduced it on the Giulia, to appease his ego. The Chrysler brand is down to 2 vehicles. He's been searching for a partner for about 2 years & in that time no one will even entertain a conversation about it with him.
Don't get me wrong, I love that Fiat has returned & I don't want Chrysler/Dodge to fail, but I'm also a realist & believe Marchionne has served his purpose & it's time for him to go. :mad:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Heck, this is a big part of why I've purchased two Fiats in the last three years. I used to say I'd never buy a new vehicle, but my '14 500C Abarth sold for ~$10k off and my '17 124 Classica was ~$3500 off... a motivated dealer married to a struggling brand ultimately just wants to move units and is more than willing to deal. And, when you buy low to begin with, the depreciation hit isn't so bad. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
We have 2 dealers here in the inner Mpls/St. Paul area. One opened as part of a long-standing VW dealership, the other stands alone but should be part of a multi-brand chain across our area.

And I suppose the engine is used in other Chrysler products so someone should be able to wrench it. But my intention is long term ownership, really long term, and peace of mind knowing there is factory/authorized service is very important to me. This car will be my toy, I should be having fun, not worrying. Food for thought.

Steve.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Yup the 1.4 has been used in several Dodge/Jeep platforms... they should have plenty of experience with it....it would just be like when Oldsmobile and then Pontiac dealerships closed...the other GM dealers honored the warranties and did the work...hopefully it won't come to that and these individual Fiat dealers will survive and actually flourish...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Is Fiat even advertising the 124 to broad markets? Maybe it is in car magazines (which I don't read), but is it shown in non-auto magazines? Get it shown in The New Yorker and similar. Put it in Sports Illistrated and People, Time and Cosmo. Come on, Fiat, tell the people it's here! There are no No. America tv commercials that I've seen. Our local dealers aren't advertising other than random Google ad hits.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Maybe dealers should contract with 2017 owners to be brand ambassadors. Pay me to hang out at popular beaches and parks, etc.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I only discovered the 124 Spider a couple months ago on a motorcycle site.

Our Mpls. Auto Show is coming up in a couple weeks, and the website shows only 500s on display from Fiat, along with the statement, "Not all cars will be on display..." Dumb, they won't even have a 124 shown for tens of thousands of people to see.

Steve.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts