Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We now offer FIAT 124 Spider Turbocharger Thermal Blankets By SILA Concepts in Titanium!

Installing a thermal blanket like this on your turbo charged vehicle is one of the most cost-effective power increasing modifications you can make. Remember, decreased temperatures under the hood mean better radiator performance, cooler intake charges, and extended life for things like wire harnesses, fittings and vacuum lines. You can also expect power and torque increases in addition to decreases in spool time of your turbo.

For additional details and images please visit:
http://shop.500madness.com/fiat-124-cid528/performance-products-cid537/fiat-124-spider-thermal-blanket-titanium-pid4418

·
Registered
575 Posts
For my limited knowledge on turbos, I didn't realize these aided in gaining more power. Whenever I see those big turbo builds, I rarely ever see anyone use them... any reason or differences in situations?? Just because I'm curious!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Isn't this supposed to keep the turbo hot? :laugh:

I really want to get this, need to save up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For my limited knowledge on turbos, I didn't realize these aided in gaining more power. Whenever I see those big turbo builds, I rarely ever see anyone use them... any reason or differences in situations?? Just because I'm curious!
I bought one from them. It does lower temperatures under the hood. It really does make a difference if you made performance modifications, like an ECU upgrade or anything that can generate more heat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Isn't this supposed to keep the turbo hot? :laugh:

I really want to get this, need to save up.
Yes... and the rest of engine bay cooler. After my initial stock testing at Thunderhill, it became very apparent that a track-day regular will really want this.

I did notice that (at least on the titanium one), the blanket discolors after a couple of good track days. Not horrible, and it still functions as designed.

Thanks to Jon at Madness for getting this to me when they got them in stock. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Yes... and the rest of engine bay cooler. After my initial stock testing at Thunderhill, it became very apparent that a track-day regular will really want this.

I did notice that (at least on the titanium one), the blanket discolors after a couple of good track days. Not horrible, and it still functions as designed.

Thanks to Jon at Madness for getting this to me when they got them in stock. Good stuff.
Yup. Had the PTP turbo blanket on my Dart. I'm looking forward to getting this one for my 124.

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The purpose of a Thermal Blanket is to decrease the temperatures under the hood. The way a Thermal Blanket aids in increasing power and torque is the more heat you can keep inside the turbine it allows for more pressure to be directed through a turbine wheel which will improve the performance and increase the overall boost pressure while at the same time decrease the time it takes to build pressure. It does not quite increase power but it aids in doing so. A Thermal Blanket is designed to keep heat within the hot side of the turbo and away from other engine components. Keeping the heat within the hot side will keep the exhaust gases hot which will expel them faster, helping to spool up faster. In a big turbo set up they don't always use Thermal Blankets but many times they do use Thermal Wrap Tape for different components for similar reasons.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It does not quite increase power but it aids in doing so.
Can you explain that statement more fully. It seems confusing to me. Also, if you are keeping the exhaust side hotter, doesn't that migrate to the intake side an keep it hotter as well?

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you explain that statement more fully. It seems confusing to me. Also, if you are keeping the exhaust side hotter, doesn't that migrate to the intake side an keep it hotter as well?
JFernald,

Like stated before, the SILA Thermal Blanket keeps the heat within the turbine to produce more pressure that is directed into the turbine wheel of the turbocharger which helps the turbo boost quicker and increases the amount of boost preasure inside the turbocharger. When lowering the amount of heat under the hood it lowers the intake temperatures which helps add power. The purpose of the SILA Thermal Blanket is to surpress the heat from where it originates from heat soaking engine components around the turbocharger to increase the lifespan of other engine components.

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those who would like to see this thermal blanket installed here are some for the community to see how it fits:

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We just wanted to update this thread with some images of the other colors we offer these in as well as how they look installed.

Help your Turbocharger keep the heat inside and help it spool faster!

Here is how the thermal blanket looks in red when installed:

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We currently have these in stock and ready to ship!

Here are some additional images of the quality and material used on these Thermal Blankets:

If you have any additonal questions on this product please reach out to us directly over the phone. We would be glad to assist you with any questions you may have. :)

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any July 4 specials. >:)

What is the difference between Red Silicon and Black silicon blanket. tia
Hey Frankmar,

Unfortunately we do not have any specials at this time, but if you're looking at a couple products shoot me a PM and Ill see what I can do!

Other than the color, there is not a difference between the two blankets!

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reduce the heat in the engine bay and boost the performance of your vehicle with this Thermal Turbo Blanket from SILA Concepts.

Installing a thermal blanket like this on your turbo charged vehicle is one of the most cost-effective power increasing modifications you can make. Remember, decreased temperatures under the hood mean better radiator performance, cooler intake charges, and extended life for things like wire harnesses, fittings and vacuum lines. You can also expect power and torque increases in addition to decreases in spool time of your turbo.

These themal blankets come in a titanium, red, and black

More information and pricing can be found on our website
https://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=thermal&category_id=528

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not buying it. Are there any tests that show that the turbo spools faster, any improvements 0-60 or 1/4 mile? Seems like a cheap enough add on, why don't all of the manufacturers add these on to their turbo engines if performance is improved so much?

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
the commercial operators all blanket their turbos

I'm not buying it. Are there any tests that show that the turbo spools faster, any improvements 0-60 or 1/4 mile? Seems like a cheap enough add on, why don't all of the manufacturers add these on to their turbo engines if performance is improved so much?
This is one of those little improvements that contributes to the efficiency of your engine. There is a University of Texas study out there somewhere about it.
FWIW, the diesel trucks clogging up our roads are all equipped with some sort of turbo blanket. These are guys who invest in 1% improvements. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
best regards
Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts