Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a GFB DV+ and I am preparing to install. If anyone has good instructions or video that would be helpful. My real question is the directions say:

"During assembly, you can choose to install the main piston spring (indicated below by the arrow) or not. Using the spring is recommended because it results in the best possible throttle response and minimum lag on gearshift, particularly on manual cars. This can sometimes result in a slightly different sound from the intake at low RPM, which is no cause for alarm – it’s simply the different way in which the valve works. "

So, what do most of you do? Install the main spring or use OEM spring?

Thanks
Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
I think most of us used the provided spring. be sure to lubricate the also provided piston. Very easy to do. Also you might want to put a towel or something similar under the work area just in case you drop a tool or screw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
When I installed mine, I didn't reuse ANY of the OEM parts, used the spring supplied with the kit. Also, good idea to lube the parts before you put it all together, like the brass piston, O-rings, spring, etc. Another good suggestion to put something under the work area, to catch any parts that might drop, which is highly likely during installation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you that installed the heavier main spring that came with GFB DV+ did you get a fault code? The instructions say if I use the heavier spring the ECU "may" produce a fault code P2261. Just wondering what "may" means 20% chance or 80% chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
I used everything that came in the package, no issues
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
No faults

For those of you that installed the heavier main spring that came with GFB DV+ did you get a fault code? The instructions say if I use the heavier spring the ECU "may" produce a fault code P2261. Just wondering what "may" means 20% chance or 80% chance?
Piece of cake. Used the new parts. 15 minutes.
best regards
Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
For those of you that installed the heavier main spring that came with GFB DV+ did you get a fault code? The instructions say if I use the heavier spring the ECU "may" produce a fault code P2261. Just wondering what "may" means 20% chance or 80% chance?
I don’t recall anyone having an issue with the main spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
Main issues we have doing mods to this car, is dropping tools in the engine bay, and since we don't know where they landed, we always fear that they may have landed on belt or something like that.

Changed oil a week or so ago, mechanic gave in an L key, which I dropped when I installed the DV + 2 years ago.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pikeman and jetlag

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
I think the only problem I've heard about installing the GFB DV+ (other than dropping a bolt in the belly pan) was the electrical DV connector was loose after installation and the owner was unable to use the Cruise Control. He replugged the connector again and problem was solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I did install Sunday, used all the parts in the package. All went well. No codes and I do notice a difference: don't lose all the boost in between shifts and I don't get that big spurt when the turbo lag kicks in, feels smoother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
I can remember having bought the part before I had even bought the car ....I knew I was that sure a Spider Abarth was coming home. ...ah memories!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
For those of you that installed the heavier main spring that came with GFB DV+ did you get a fault code? The instructions say if I use the heavier spring the ECU "may" produce a fault code P2261. Just wondering what "may" means 20% chance or 80% chance?
My CEL light turned on today after driving for 10 minutes and I just installed it yesterday as well as drove almost 30 miles w no issues.
It barely popped up today , did you have the same issue ?
I also used the big spring they provided
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
My CEL light turned on today after driving for 10 minutes and I just installed it yesterday as well as drove almost 30 miles w no issues.
It barely popped up today , did you have the same issue ?
I also used the big spring they provided
Installed mine about 3 months ago and must admit I did wonder about installing the new main spring or sticking with the OEM as I was concerned about the possibility of a fault code. In the end I went with the new main spring and haven't seen any problems. I know nothing about auto electrics but might be worth cleaning the electrical connector?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
Installed mine about 3 months ago and must admit I did wonder about installing the new main spring or sticking with the OEM as I was concerned about the possibility of a fault code. In the end I went with the new main spring and haven't seen any problems. I know nothing about auto electrics but might be worth cleaning the electrical connector?
Might even have not connected it properly to start with, so could be a good idea to disconnect, clean and refit. Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Yup... before you blame the spring, make sure you have the connector seated correctly and the lock reset. That seems to be the issue most often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Also, when you initially installed, did you disconnect the negative battery cable and depress the brake, before disconnecting the connection to the diverter. That can also throw a code.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top