Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got it installed. I lost my 5mm hex bit and needed to replace it. The removal and replacement took all of, maybe 15 minutes.
It was bought as an upgrade, with the expectation of avoiding a common issue with the stock DV.

I can't say I had an issue to deal with at only 800 miles on the car, but hope I am avoiding one down the road.

Pete

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I finally got it installed. I lost my 5mm hex bit and needed to replace it. The removal and replacement took all of, maybe 15 minutes.
It was bought as an upgrade, with the expectation of avoiding a common issue with the stock DV.

I can't say I had an issue to deal with at only 800 miles on the car, but hope I am avoiding one down the road.

Pete
I also dropped the L 5mm key. :eek::eek:>:)

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not exactly . . .

I also dropped the L 5mm key. :eek::eek:>:)
Actually I lost mine somewhere among my tools! I was fortunate not to lose it into the underpan! That would be a real PITA!:eek:

Pete

·
Registered
560 Posts
Actually I lost mine somewhere among my tools! I was fortunate not to lose it into the underpan! That would be a real PITA!:eek:

Pete
And....I dropped my hex key as well! Plus the yellow part of the clip of the electrical connection. Both down to the underpan. I had no way to drop the pan so went to the dealer, had a good laugh and the tech had a moment to retrieve the tool. The yellow clip I found back in my garage after a search but the cable is now zip-tied in place. Can't figure out how to reassemble the connector properly. (And, by the way, the clip itself isn't available as a part yet.)

Otherwise, the install of the DV+ took just a few minutes and the end result was noticeable from the moment I drove it down the street. I'd always noticed - not a hesitation getting underway, per se - but under acceleration there would be a bit of a hiccup. That is now gone - the acceleration is immediate and smooth. Great upgrade.

So - can anyone tell me how to properly reassemble the clip? :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
You guys are giving me confidence I can do it myself, except for the dropping things part since I always drop stuff when working on a car.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You guys are giving me confidence I can do it myself, except for the dropping things part since I always drop stuff when working on a car.
after dropping them I got smart and stuffed a couple small towels under the turbo area to catch anything else. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
805 Posts
And....I dropped my hex key as well! Plus the yellow part of the clip of the electrical connection. Both down to the underpan. I had no way to drop the pan so went to the dealer, had a good laugh and the tech had a moment to retrieve the tool. The yellow clip I found back in my garage after a search but the cable is now zip-tied in place. Can't figure out how to reassemble the connector properly. (And, by the way, the clip itself isn't available as a part yet.)

Otherwise, the install of the DV+ took just a few minutes and the end result was noticeable from the moment I drove it down the street. I'd always noticed - not a hesitation getting underway, per se - but under acceleration there would be a bit of a hiccup. That is now gone - the acceleration is immediate and smooth. Great upgrade.

As far as assembling the clip, best you can do is "cheat" and look at another connector...the large evap hose to the air cleaner box is a good choice: Major hint: do not fully remove the clip from the fitting, pull it up just enough to release the hose keeping the clip in place...now you can look at it and understand it's proper orientation. There are four "barbs" that need to be located properly in the connector as you look at it head on, and that may be a challenge...you need to see four little barbs intruding into the connector as you look at the connector head on. Once you struggle to get them in place (dental picks may help), the clip should be sticking pround of the connector, then you can reassemble the connector to the fitting and push the clip home. Keep in mind that the clip must be oriented properly, in other words there is a front and back, if memory serves the plain front goes to the front of the connector. Hoping this helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
805 Posts
As an aside, I think some may think that the clip has to be removed completely from the connector. IT DOES NOT. It merely has to be raised enough to unlock the connector and needs to remain be in place in a raised position for ease of reassembly. Hoping this is useful info.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
As an aside, I think some may think that the clip has to be removed completely from the connector. IT DOES NOT. It merely has to be raised enough to unlock the connector and needs to remain be in place in a raised position for ease of reassembly. Hoping this is useful info.
This, the yellow clip is just a locking tab.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
958 Posts

I had no trouble putting the locking tab (yellow part) back in place. Maybe I just got lucky. I would suggest you remove the connector and fiddle with it a bit. Try holding the catch down, or up, while putting the yellow locking tab back in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had no trouble putting the locking tab (yellow part) back in place. Maybe I just got lucky. I would suggest you remove the connector and fiddle with it a bit. Try holding the catch down, or up, while putting the yellow locking tab back in.
I got lucky too. I had it off three different times (on the blue connector that had the reversed fitting), and it went back on pretty smoothly, with the barbs in the correct slot.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I have been working on new cars and older cars for years so these type of connectors are old hat to me...plus I have worked in the electronic engineering field for 40 years...if your are not familiar with these new connectors or anything else on your car...before you disassemble it take some pictures before and along the process...its always good to have a visual reference to fall back on...it has saved my behind several times...;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have been working on new cars and older cars for years so these type of connectors are old hat to me...plus I have worked in the electronic engineering field for 40 years...if your are not familiar with these new connectors or anything else on your car...before you disassemble it take some pictures before and along the process...its always good to have a visual reference to fall back on...it has saved my behind several times...;)
Which is what I do when working with complex electronics at our transmitter sites or studios. I just never expected the connector to fly apart and drop below so didn't bother taking a pic. I've got the two pieces (I hope that's all there is) - the yellow part and a black open rectangle and I know where they go on the plug, just not the actual fitment. Probably I'll have the tech at the dealer reassemble it but I'd feel better if I sorted it out.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Which is what I do when working with complex electronics at our transmitter sites or studios. I just never expected the connector to fly apart and drop below so didn't bother taking a pic. I've got the two pieces (I hope that's all there is) - the yellow part and a black open rectangle and I know where they go on the plug, just not the actual fitment. Probably I'll have the tech at the dealer reassemble it but I'd feel better if I sorted it out.
Here are some pics for you...this should help you assemble it...

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Registered
51 Posts
After reading this post and how it seemed to be a common issue with dropping the tool. I tied a very long thin string to it before I ever started. You will never guess what happedend next , yep I dropped it, not once but a few times. Glad I read this before I started, that string saved me, just grabbed it and pulled it right back up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How do you guys like the dv? I have done Forge DV on my 2.0T FSI passat after i chipped it and tore the OEM Dv. I am doing my best to destroy the OEM DV so i can get one of these. A must have if you ever chip/flash/tune your car.

·
Registered
719 Posts
When I installed mine, I stuffed a full-size towel in the working area to catch anything that may have dropped. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello, I am going to buy the DV+ too. One question : at the moment of purchase at Eurocompulsion e-shop there s an optional " extended bolts" to choose . what bs that? do I need them?

I wrote eurocomp but had no answer yet . Thanx for helping

c

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hello, I am going to buy the DV+ too. One question : at the moment of purchase at Eurocompulsion e-shop there s an optional " extended bolts" to choose . what bs that? do I need them?

I wrote eurocomp but had no answer yet . Thanx for helping

c
I think they would be for if you were adding a blow off plate to stack along with the DV+.

@[email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts