Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
the performance overall seems to be the same, but where this thing is great is when you are tooling around moving slow in stop and go traffic. it seems like you are on boost at considerably lower rpm's.

I have stalled my car a few times before the replacement in traffic. it seemed like the engine was not generating any power below 1500 rpm, causing a stall. if not stalling it was a bit jerky in transition from idle to low rpm crawling. the installation of the d/v seems to have cured this condition, also when shifting the transition is also much smoother.

I know learning a new clutch is sometimes getting to know the feel of a new car, but having driven manuals for 33 years now I have a decent level of mastery of a manual cog swapper.

this d/v based on ease of installation and noted improvement in operation is a must have.....

·
Registered
668 Posts
the performance overall seems to be the same, but where this thing is great is when you are tooling around moving slow in stop and go traffic. it seems like you are on boost at considerably lower rpm's.

I have stalled my car a few times before the replacement in traffic. it seemed like the engine was not generating any power below 1500 rpm, causing a stall. if not stalling it was a bit jerky in transition from idle to low rpm crawling. the installation of the d/v seems to have cured this condition, also when shifting the transition is also much smoother.

I know learning a new clutch is sometimes getting to know the feel of a new car, but having driven manuals for 33 years now I have a decent level of mastery of a manual cog swapper.

this d/v based on ease of installation and noted improvement in operation is a must have.....
Exactly my experience too. Installed my DV+ 2 weeks ago so the difference feeling is fresh in my memory.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So much more to this product, you should read through the threads on it.

Stiffer spring holds onto boost longer during shifts

Tighter, holds pressure better without leaking. The stock one is all plastic and thus cannot hold as tight of tolerances. Worse yet, the plastic will wear making matters worse. Reading through 500 forums, the stock one is a high percentage warranty item.

Adding a tune and higher boost only adds to these issues of the stock one. Being an ME, I was a little horrified by the stock one when I removed and equally impressed by the GFB.

As others have said, if you only do one mod, this is it. So easy (as long as you don't drop anything into the pan) and fast to replace as well. Great bang for the buck!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
This is the one mod everyone should do.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I did a before and after dyno with the 124 and on a 500. The result was 0. It's still good though as it helps the garbage DV that comes with the car to do the job better.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
Absolutely!!

This is the one mod everyone should do.
+99!
GFB makes no claims about performance, but everyone who's installed it is happy with the results. The OEM part is cheap carp.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
479 Posts
good win racing also sells these under the engine category. all of the dealers have the same price, so I guess it really does not matter who you get them from. the only difference might be shipping

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I bought mine directly from GFB.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
will it affect the automatic just as much as the manual? or are the comments on smoother shifting and holding boost during shift mostly for the manual?

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
will it affect the automatic just as much as the manual? or are the comments on smoother shifting and holding boost during shift mostly for the manual?
The GFB valve does help the automatic cars, but the benefits are reduced. It will leak a little less which allows the engine to build boost slightly earlier as with the manual, but the automatic masks that a little. The changes during shifts are negligible in most situations with this product and the automatic.

Overall, I do think it's worth it with an automatic simply because the stock part is low quality. It's worth noting that these GFB valves are very popular on turbo cars of all makes, including automatics. The issue of low quality diverter valves isn't a Fiat specific issue.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
all of the dealers have the same price, so I guess it really does not matter who you get them from. the only difference might be shipping
And, who you might want providing tech support if needed. Although with this particular product, and all the knowledge of it on this forum, I don't see that being a big factor.

Greg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Where is the best place to buy one ?
They're pretty common across the Dart, Fiat 500, and 124 suppliers, and the prices are all pretty close with S&H, because of the MAP (minimum advertised price). I'd suggest shopping from a vendor that has an enthusiast-centered base rather than a random Amazon / eBay source. The part is the same for all the FCA 1.4 turbo applications (Dart, 500, Renegade, 500X, etc.).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts