Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

461 - 480 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Did you maybe do something that caused the failure here ? My clutch still feels good with the stuffed turbo and it’s had a few track days under its belt on that set up
It's not the clutch, the slave cylinder the plastic thingy on the side
Nothing I could think off, maybe city driving in mixed weather?
It is a plastic rod and some people on the ND have experienced failure too
Where the rod broke in half,
I was lucky and able to lift the pedal back up then drove home

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Another something new to me, fracture-split rods. Did a bit of reading up on it today. It makes sense now in regards to alignment and connection strength. It's quite the epiphany from precision milled mating surfaces to "snap the thing in half, its better that way".

Here's some interesting shots of the other pistons.

A chunk of #2 embedded in #1:

A better look at the destruction that happened to #2:

#3 is interesting. It had the most carbon build up on top and there is build up between the rings also. Maybe it was a bit sloppy in the cylinder and had some oil leakage. I dunno.. It's just completely different from the other 3.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
While I am playing the waiting game on the engine, I have a few other side projects going on of course. Suspension upgrades are arriving now and I plan on completely redoing the trunk layout for the pump and tank. Liner will come out completely. Some sound deadening mat that I never got around to before and probably moving up to a 2.5gal tank for the the juice. Going to figure out a mounting rack/plate to reinforce everything a bit. While I was looking at the bigger tanks, this came up in suggested items:

Mopar 1.4L N2O Injection kit

Snow Performance is expanding/partnering it seems. Not something I plan on, but cool to see there is a complete drop in system ready for this platform. Who knows what the future may bring though....

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
All parts are at the machine shop and work on the blocks (Greg's and mine) is to begin next week. Greg also let me know his head is complete and will be doing the flow testing on it shortly.

Pistons look so nice when they are new but they have work to do!

·
Registered
871 Posts
oooooow
so any idea what kind of pistons and rods do we have from factory?
Is it Hypereutectic cast piston or Forged or just heavy duty cast?
and Rods are not forged too?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Both are cast, not sure of the rod method but was told the pistons are usually silicone mould cast (they are definitely not heavy duty by any means, very thin and light.) and then machine finished. You can easily see how grainy the cast aluminum is in the picture of piston 2 damage.

These OEM rods were the first I ever saw with the fracture split at the crank cap. Interesting, yet simple, concept that is more structurally sound and aligned than 2 perfectly planed mating surfaces that could shift ever so slightly. The Molnar Rods are a 4xxx series Aluminum and few grams heavier than the cast iron/steel but able to withstand everything I am going to throw at them. The Carrillo Rods I was originally wanting to keep the work in house with the pistons use a 7xxx series and Scandium Enhanced Aluminum that can withstand a WHOLE lot more than I would ever need and it costs more for the raw stock, thus why they cost $300+ each vs $108 each for the Molnar.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
I did a little more looking at the rods. They are made by FPT Powertrain Technologies, looks like commercial and marine engine stuff mostly but they are HQ'd in Turin, Italy.

The pistons don't really have a manufacturer name stamp, there is something that might be a logo but I can't make it out very well. It looks like a circle around a shield with 2 vertical lines in the middle of it. Not readily recognizable so I am not sure who makes them.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Just received a $278 quote for a 2500F Extreme Heat coating from Jet Hot in a “Blue Russet” color that’s actually a pretty close match to the satin vampire red wrap. @Phillip33 is powder coating my valve cover, turbo bracket, and turbo compressor housing in red also.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
Ken; when you get that puppy fully assembled, I am driving up from Tucson to see it and watch your first run at Wild Horse Pass.
Will be more than happy to show her off when complete! I really hope I get it all done before the heat moves back in now that "winter" is over, going to be 78 here on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #472

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
Status Update:

My head is almost complete, I think turbo manifold is complete but waiting on confirmation. One time use bolts are enroute to machinist. Block boring and assembly work began today on Greg's and mine starts right after about the time the head is ready.

About time to get myself back out in the garage to upgrade the suspension, trunk layout, seat rails, etc.

Sidenote: Positive thoughts for Greg staying clear of the Corona Virus. His latest trip was to Asia, where exactly I do not know, and he's still there.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
What are you thinking re. suspension Ken?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
What are you thinking re. suspension Ken?
I purchased the Progressive front and rear bars, Feal 441+ coil overs, GWR rear tower brace and Cusco Front brace. I have reconsidered the spring rate for the weight reduction I am eventually going to end up with and currently asking them about dropping down to the 441 springs.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I purchased the Progressive front and rear bars, Feal 441+ coil overs, GWR rear tower brace and Cusco Front brace. I have reconsidered the spring rate for the weight reduction I am eventually going to end up with and currently asking them about dropping down to the 441 springs.
I don’t know how much teeth weigh but you can subtract that weight after you jar them all out with those stiff springs.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
I gave those up along with burning off all my prints when I went into witness protection years ago. I am a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

461 - 480 of 511 Posts