Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know, a bit off topic but maybe relevant to those re-building engines.

There's an interesting Harry's Garage episode "Lamborghini V12 engine re-build". Fascinating and enjoyable especially the passion these guys have. Interesting to note where the new pistons came from and the attention to detail.

·
Registered
239 Posts
@Calehedron have you looked at or thought about the Walter Motorsport transmission builds? I'm going to hold off for a bit, maybe until I do the clutch, but pricing is more reasonable than I would've expected.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Can't imagine they'd have any issue with it, just couldn't use the core program I suppose?
It is not that they would have an issue, but Walter does lots of things to the internals, so I imagine the different casing might change some of those things. Next I talk to Lee, I will ask him about it. I am a previous customer of his.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Please do the initial research, I am sure it will be something to swap out at some point. Same with the driveshaft, rear axles, and maybe the diff in time. I want bulletproof as much as I can get.

I don't have many updates as of late. Greg is stuck in Asia, not in a hotspot but the time delays and schedules are hampering communication a little. Should be ready to ship back to me soon based on past messages though. I am excited to get back to it and scared to death at the same time. So much time has passed since I pulled it apart and the wiring harness is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Good News! Greg is back home and healthy! His engine rework is complete and mine is in progress. So doing the math it took about 2 weeks start to finish for his but that also included a little delay for some things I believe. Got to get a few more things on order! The 3 RTVs, flywheel bolts, and crank pulley bolt. Just under or at 400BHP is the goal!

He put together a very informative video on the engine, goes into some design explanation, and what has been done and why.

Fiat 1.4 Liter Multiair Turbo Build, plus a battleship

Warning! It is almost 29 minutes long but well worth it if you want a better look and understanding of things.

Stay Tuned!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #489 (Edited)
Mine is taking it a few steps further. That is my goal, did not say expect but it is not out of the realm of possibility with all I plan on doing.

Edit: The turbo is definitely not a limiting factor to get to my target. It is more than capable of supplying enough and more boost than needed. Greg mentioned in the video that he had hit 250 at the wheel back when he was playing around with 36PSI of boost and water injection only, he doesn't use methanol at all until winter and its just enough to keep the tank from freezing up. I run ~49/51, just under the flammable point and I got 240ish at the wheel with 26PSI and my juice.

Rods will give me more RPM room, Camshaft to get rid of the midrange dip, LOTS more heat management this time around, and will find out soon enough if we have to swap to bigger injectors for 9x pump gas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow, cool.
I may have to follow both Greg and yourself with a set of pistons. I've been playing with the boost via the Vaitrix ecu and it's very addictive. I have yet to finalise my water injection install, and I'll move to water/meth mix. So really looking forward to following how your install goes and how far you push the power... I'll be needing those pistons. Great work!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I put in my change order to have the block painted also. Did not know that was an option! There was a little miscommunication on the turbo manifold and its going to be sent over to GPOP to get the same port and polish as the ones EC and NGEN sells, but mine will not be coated with the lower temp ceramic paint. Jet Hot charges more to strip any coatings or paint and adds 3 days to the turn around time.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Paco Motorsports Lowering Rails installed. I really like the way it sits with the rear rake. The center console is now closer to my forearm and supports a more upright position while resting the arm.

One task down!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
WFH Lockdown Day 2:

Progress Technologies Sway Bars and SuperPro Adjustable End Links installed. Steering Rack had to be moved to get in and out. Instructions don't tell you about the other things to remove like the coolant hose bracket and a couple of plastic dividers under frame that have to come off to give room to move. Wasn't terrible and might as well learn to take EVERYTHING off the car at some point!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Lockdown Day 3: Clean nasty ass subframe and engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Lockdown Day 3: Clean nasty ass subframe and engine compartment.
That sounds managerial, you must be in charge. Always worried about how stuff looks not that it actually works!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Enjoy the body roll elimination

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
That sounds managerial, you must be in charge. Always worried about how stuff looks not that it actually works!
It's all about the show, baby!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Even with the engine out, that install looks painful. I'm not doing that. Nope.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
This does bring up another point. What's the 'correct' way to set up adjustable end links? I've got a set waiting to be installed because the OEM's are just about threaded out and I figured replace them while I can still get them off without a Dremel.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
This does bring up another point. What's the 'correct' way to set up adjustable end links? I've got a set waiting to be installed because the OEM's are just about threaded out and I figured replace them while I can still get them off without a Dremel.
I should not have connected one end, technically. I did it for pictures. It should be set on the ground/ramps/blocks under full weight and then align them with no preload after you corner balance if need be.

Even with the engine out, that install looks painful. I'm not doing that. Nope.
Once the steering rack was moved (probably a LOT harder with engine mounted actually) the bar pretty much slid right out and new one went in even easier. The bushings being bonded on sucks, they take up a lot of extra wiggle space at critical spots. You can always go Karcepts and just cut the old one out. I saved the bar at Steve's request and the new one was just as crooked as the old so might as well make it as easy as possible.

481 - 500 of 511 Posts