Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

501 - 511 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This does bring up another point. What's the 'correct' way to set up adjustable end links? I've got a set waiting to be installed because the OEM's are just about threaded out and I figured replace them while I can still get them off without a Dremel.
Use the Karcepts guide to set the proper end link length. Section 4.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
WFH Lockdown Day 4:

I didn't do anything on Day 3 other than recover from the prior 2 days. Neck and fingers are still a bit sore. But... I went with something "easy" today, the Tork MultiAir Spring upgrade. Yep, I'm the guy that is really gonna put these things to the test. These are from the batches after the others had been culled so lets hope they don't repeat!

Very straight forward job. Push the spring down, rotate the rocker out of the way, wiggle pin and spring out. Swap the spring, wiggle it back into the hole, depress it, rotate rocker back into place. Definitely a little noticeable difference in spring rate in your hand but you can really tell it when you are trying to put the rocker back in place. Blood blister on my thumb now as a reminder.

So here we have the MA Brick on the bench with the new springs.

A shot of the OEM above and Tork below.

All new in place, rockers down.

All done and ready!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
WFH Lockdown Day 4:

I didn't do anything on Day 3 other than recover from the prior 2 days. Neck and fingers are still a bit sore. But... I went with something "easy" today, the Tork MultiAir Spring upgrade. Yep, I'm the guy that is really gonna put these things to the test. These are from the batches after the others had been culled so lets hope they don't repeat!

Very straight forward job. Push the spring down, rotate the rocker out of the way, wiggle pin and spring out. Swap the spring, wiggle it back into the hole, depress it, rotate rocker back into place. Definitely a little noticeable difference in spring rate in your hand but you can really tell it when you are trying to put the rocker back in place. Blood blister on my thumb now as a reminder.

So here we have the MA Brick on the bench with the new springs.

View attachment 75414

A shot of the OEM above and Tork below.

View attachment 75415

All new in place, rockers down.

View attachment 75416

All done and ready!

View attachment 75417
I was chatting with @Brett67 the other day and he is still going strong on the new springs. Mine are still in a drawer somewhere. The problem you're going to have is that you're not going to have a clue if these made any difference for you or not with all the upgrades you have going on.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
I'm not going to have any idea about anything really, I am starting over completely. They aren't hard to swap, I could do it at the end of a day of dyno and compare the next day. Would be interesting to see at the increased redline whatever that ends up being. I hope they really show something, its a fairly cheap and medium-low skill job and hard data would be nice.

This past weekend I watched Ford vs Ferrari and I was really blown away by Christian Bale, AGAIN. That and who Ken Miles was. He was that all or nothing guy who always pushed for the perfect lap, felt the car and gave her all she had. I understand that feeling and his overall attitude all too well.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm not going to have any idea about anything really, I am starting over completely. They aren't hard to swap, I could do it at the end of a day of dyno and compare the next day. Would be interesting to see at the increased redline whatever that ends up being. I hope they really show something, its a fairly cheap and medium-low skill job and hard data would be nice.

This past weekend I watched Ford vs Ferrari and I was really blown away by Christian Bale, AGAIN. That and who Ken Miles was. He was that all or nothing guy who always pushed for the perfect lap, felt the car and gave her all she had. I understand that feeling and his overall attitude all too well.
If I was a spring seller without hard dyno data I would pay you to do the testing. At the very least refund the spring cost.

I imagine most people would be skeptical like me and NOT purchase things without clear before and after dyno pulls.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
I will do my best to get some data for the upgraded springs and OEM installed. I decided to give them a try because I was already torn all the way down, it was a 10 minute swap job, and they aren't very expensive when you buy them a la carte.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The testing would be pointless for most people as you have changed everything. The gains, if any, from the springs for your full build would not be the same for a stock motor. The value might not even be the same either. For example, what are you planning for redline? That impacts the results.

I say just put it all together and don't worry about post-build testing. The results are in everything working and laying down fast time slips. 😀

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
I agree the overall results would be different because of the other work but it could show if there are any gains at all or just within the realm of noise. Will see how it goes when I get to that point, it's all ifs, maybes, and hopefullys right now.

Learning more and feeling dumber at the same time right now. Had second thoughts on the coilover springs and worked the deal to swap them to lower rates. I was gonna send the entire kit back but dragged it out due to plenty of reasons lately. I mentioned to the Feal Tech that maybe I would borrow a spring compressor set and remove them myself and as I clicked send, I felt like a dork. He was quite polite in letting me know and confirming what hit me after all that time thinking about swapping them. Just loosen the PRELOAD COLLARS!

Thirty minutes.... I've wasted months over 30 minutes.

501 - 511 of 511 Posts