Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The one thing in our notes after first track weekend with our Fiat vs Miata test was both drivers found the Fiat was at a disadvantage to the Miata on brakes. The Fiat had our four piston upgrade on stock size two-piece rotors and our Miata was on our Premium Good-Win Racing 12.88 inch Big Brakes. The 'Streets' of Willow Springs Raceway is not a seriously big or fast track, only hitting a bit over 100 on the two straights, but the downhill braking zone put enough heat stress on the brakes that it was enough to separate the performance of our Fiat with four piston upgrade on stock size two-piece rotors from our Miata using our 12.88 big brakes and SIX piston caliper. The Miata braking was consistent and smooth and driver could be late on the brakes with confidence they were going to brake and make the turn-in. The Fiat several times faded enough to go deeper than planned into the brake zone and that meant the line into the next turn lacked consistency for both our drivers.

Thus....on with our big 12.88 kit and our six piston setup!

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Back from the Battle...great day of fun and driving!

We ran our own transponders so we could keep the results under wraps until the Magazine hits newstands.

So, I cannot say which car won...but I can say both cars about a full second faster than prior event thanks to super fresh April date coded Rivals....and that was despite fact it was hotter day.

These are my quick pics on phone, they got some amazing pics that we will see when the magazine arrives. Thanks to all involved for the great day.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
We had the Miata limited slip in our Classica, it worked okay, now testing the OSGIKEN Competition 24 Disc Limited Slip. We have used these in our higher powered Miatas for many years, this has always been our choice when putting down over 200 hp, a great choice to support our continuing development of the car. I raced the car today at BMW Autocross. Did it on street tires in STR trim, fastest street tire time of the day (got beat for overall Top Time of Day only but a few friends on Hoosiers...by about one second). Will test it again next time on set of Hoosiers. My jump in time from Rivals on the car today to Hoosiers is usually about 2 seconds, so I expect the mighty Fiat will be Top Time of Day at next BMW Club event....will see. The feel of this unit is more aggressive than stock, takes a little time to understand that you mash the throttle and need to trust that when the rear steps out at corner exit it will then lay power very effectively, reaction is a bit faster than with the conservative lockup rate of the stock unit.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

I forgot this thread, for many pages of updates see our home forum thread HERE on what we have done to date, also our section in this forum for a lot of updates including stuffed turbo details thread HERE. Working this week on adding our lexan spoiler with goal of getting on the car in time for autocross competition this weekend. Lexan spoiler shown here on one of our NC projects, very effective at autocross speeds and also very helpful for fast track day use (picture below on our 300hp NC at Laguna Seca Raceway 2 weeks ago). We had hoped to take the Fiat project to that Laguna event and that didn't work out, it got banned from the 'Miata' event, so decided we would come home and take it for a romp in our next local autocross event with goal of Top Time of Day in field beyond 100 competitors....again. The project has finished fastest a few times since the last update, but recently our competition has stepped up with some new cars (BMW M2 Competitions), time for our Fiata to reclaim the crown again.

Factory seat is now LOWER thanks to new lowering brackets for stock seats by our buddy Moti at AuroraAutoDesign.com

Driver and Passenger seat in same positions and as far back as they go. It may be hard to see from side view but Ryan on stock height passenger seat has my helmet hitting, and actually lifting the yard stick as it lays from top of windshield across the roll bar, but on lowered Driver's seat he is now under the classic 'broomstick' test. This bar is a lot higher than stock hoops, this is a Blackbird bar and and that bar is as high as we can get without removing the top.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is that seat slider SCCA Street legal under comfort and convenience if a 0.5lbs ballast is added to the part? It says no changing the seat, but nothing about the seat slider, which IMO (and it may be wrong) is a definite comfort and convenience mod...since my helmet doesn't clear the top at rain events and I'm leaned over to the side as I drive (or I just pack it in and go home).

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Is that seat slider SCCA Street legal under comfort and convenience if a 0.5lbs ballast is added to the part? It says no changing the seat, but nothing about the seat slider, which IMO (and it may be wrong) is a definite comfort and convenience mod...since my helmet doesn't clear the top at rain events and I'm leaned over to the side as I drive (or I just pack it in and go home).
Decent argument. I talked with Moti and no SCCA ruling at this time, to our knowledge it has not been contested yet. We can see someone arguing that it falls under comfort and convenience, but at the pointy end of things people get really sticky as we all know, and one could possibly argue that this is a competitive advantage due to lowering the Cg. We doubt this will ever be challenged at local level, national level is another matter, if it can fit under comfort and convenience then everyone would do it for the lower CG?

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Our Fiat 124 and Budget NC Racer project out for playtime at BMW Club Autocross yesterday. The Fiat is faster in a straight line, but autocross is a grip game much more than a power game and this NC has our new 17x10 NC Race wheel package we developed for that generation of Miata, so it beat everything with doors yesterday, holding Top Time of Day for most of the event until slipping clutch crippled it late in the day and we got nipped for top time by two open wheel cars half our weight. Also didn't get the Lexan rear spoiler completed in time for the Fiat and that alone gave the NC a significant advantage. More soon...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Our Fiat 124 and Budget NC Racer project out for playtime at BMW Club Autocross yesterday. The Fiat is faster in a straight line, but autocross is a grip game much more than a power game and this NC has our new 17x10 NC Race wheel package we developed for that generation of Miata, so it beat everything with doors yesterday, holding Top Time of Day for most of the event until slipping clutch crippled it late in the day and we got nipped for top time by two open wheel cars half our weight. Also didn't get the Lexan rear spoiler completed in time for the Fiat and that alone gave the NC a significant advantage. More soon...

Which car do you think gets around a more open racetrack faster? And I know racing isn't about looks, but man, that 124 looks great compared to that NC.

Have you had any more opportunities to work on things like oil cooler, transmission cooler, and future clutch options for the 124?

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Fiat 124 has a finned oil pan, so we started with simple approach of putting more air on that oil pan for better cooling and to date the oil temps are now staying in check. So, likely go production with that item at some point, it's a wonderfully simple solution to the hot oil temps we had previously.

The race track head to head is a fun question, too many variables to say. The Fiat is currently faster in a straight line and tracks have a lot more open opportunity for the Fiat's power advantage to play. And the NC is a pig aerodynamically, the frontal area of the Fiat is a lot less. But the Mechanical grip of the NC in current setup is massively dominate once the road turns, expect at least 5 mph faster in all the turns, that adds up. The Fiat really needs 10 inch wide wheels to compete on that mechanical grip but smalller Fiat would need chopped fenders to fit the 10 inch wide, not willing at this time to do that.

We are renting out a track soon for testing XIDAS coilovers we are developing for NC chassis with our friends from 949 Racing, will have the track entire day with nobody else on it. Most of the day will be test and tune and major number crunching the details with the new prototype coilovers, if time permits will take along the Fiat for some fun head to head.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Fiat 124 has a finned oil pan, so we started with simple approach of putting more air on that oil pan for better cooling and to date the oil temps are now staying in check. So, likely go production with that item at some point, it's a wonderfully simple solution to the hot oil temps we had previously.

The race track head to head is a fun question, too many variables to say. The Fiat is currently faster in a straight line and tracks have a lot more open opportunity for the Fiat's power advantage to play. And the NC is a pig aerodynamically, the frontal area of the Fiat is a lot less. But the Mechanical grip of the NC in current setup is massively dominate once the road turns, expect at least 5 mph faster in all the turns, that adds up. The Fiat really needs 10 inch wide wheels to compete on that mechanical grip but smalller Fiat would need chopped fenders to fit the 10 inch wide, not willing at this time to do that.

We are renting out a track soon for testing XIDAS coilovers we are developing for NC chassis with our friends from 949 Racing, will have the track entire day with nobody else on it. Most of the day will be test and tune and major number crunching the details with the new prototype coilovers, if time permits will take along the Fiat for some fun head to head.
Thanks Brian. I like simple solutions so looking forward to what you might bring to market re: oil temps. And I don't blame you about not wanting to cut fenders.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
@Good-Win Racing

I look forward to the wide body kits you will sell in the future :)

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Fun Autocross in the Fiat yesterday! Fastest thing with doors at the Kickoff 2020 Season event, beat every Porsche, Corvette, Lotus, Miata, etc....despite 3 year old tires on the car which were the only tires I had handy at the last moment to toss on after the Miata I was going to run at the event had mechanical issue at the event. I was not too bummed because I was itching to try the Fiat with new rear spoiler, which helped a lot. I have not updated the threads for this car in a while, here is what is on the car now, click the links for more details:

One of our Complete Exhaust Systems for Fiat 124 (Crosspipe, Resonated Midpipe, Muffler Delete).
Ohlins Coilovers
Karcepts front and Karcepts rear Sways
Wilwood Dynalite Front 12.19" Big Brake Brake Kit
OSGiken Superlock LSD for Fiat 124
Blackbird Rear Adjustable Spoiler (Prototype, cranked up to max AOA here for autocross)
APR front Splitter
LIGHT 17x9 Flow Formed Wheels with 245/40
Tork Tune (E85)
Stuffed Turbo from NGEN
Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve
RoadsterSport Ultra Light Battery MOUNTING KIT
Blackbird Fabworx ND RZ Roll Bar
RoadsterSport 4 Piece Complete Fiat 124 Underbody Ultralight Aluminum Brace Kit

That's mostly complete, a few other prototype bits on the car including cooling scoop for fins of the engine oil pan, big shift knob we are having fun with, and more. Full build thread in our home forum CLICK HERE. I am going to work on getting 17x10 under the stock fenders, custom offset with no more tire than we are doing now. We make a 17x10 for NC Miata racing which is 5x114, got the factory making me an undrilled set we can custom machine for offset and 4x100. Same 245/45 tire that is pretty fast on 17x9 as you see here will be at least another second faster spread on 17x10.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Fun with our project cars, team member Andrea Mathers driving the turns in our Good-Win Racing Project Fiat 124 today before the clouds arrived promising more rain. Ohlins coilovers and lots of other goodies in this build, it sticks the turns!

We have major part shortages coming folks, manufacturing and distribution is slowing to a crawl. Down to our last two of the OHLINS COILOVER kits as used on this car and likely weeks before we get more. Also down to last three of System One Fiat 124 Adjustable Sound Exhaust Setups that is on this project. So if you want to install some fun on your Fiat during this crisis, don't wait.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
For those considering install of any of our complete Fiat 124 exhausts, our friends at NGEN did an amazingly good install video. Though this video is about our 'SystemOne' in particular, still very useful for our RoadsterSport installs as the procedure is very similar.

It's not a difficult install (other than the 2 nuts for the crosspipe), but it did take me several tries to get the tips where I wanted them. Ultimately, I won. I love this exhaust.

858E7ED5-0AE9-43E0-9857-0062B30E72A5.jpeg

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought my System One from Goodwin when they first became available for my 2018 Abarth. I didn't get the cross-pipe at that time, because I had installed the GWR 2.5" cross-pipe on my previous Classica and those downpipe nuts were a nightmare. They rounded and were extremely hard to get off. I suggest anyone to just buy some new nuts and have them ready, if you plan on doing the cross-pipe. That being said, the System One is the best exhaust out there. It has a helmholtz chamber AND a swappable resonator. It is the most flexible of any exhaust choice for sound and has that exclusive helmholtz chamber to kill drone. I absolutely love mine.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts