Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I snapped one of those studs when I installed my cross pipe. I believe it's actually possible to drill out the stud and put a new one in while the downpipe is still attached. I think someone else on the forum was able to do it that way. If the downpipe does need to come out, I found it easier to drop the downpipe out the bottom after removing all the heat shields from it first. It's a tight fit, but it'll drop down there. It's such a hassle to work with the downpipe, I'd recommend just upgrading it while it's out, if that's a mod you were ever planning on doing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well that was a fun morning.. got it all on there properly now. Just need to clear the code as their scanner wouldn't clear it as well. They was a [email protected] for them to get out. Other shop cross threaded the one stud I didnt break, they assume the one I broke was also cross threaded and they said the one good stud was so bad they had to drill that out as well. They also said that it wasnt even on tight to the flange, just so badly cross threaded (enough with the word already haha) that it was all messed up. Hope that is the end of this saga.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well that was a fun morning.. got it all on there properly now. Just need to clear the code as their scanner wouldn't clear it as well. They was a [email protected] for them to get out. Other shop cross threaded the one stud I didnt break, they assume the one I broke was also cross threaded and they said the one good stud was so bad they had to drill that out as well. They also said that it wasnt even on tight to the flange, just so badly cross threaded (enough with the word already haha) that it was all messed up. Hope that is the end of this saga.
I take it they were able to drill out the studs without removing the downpipe?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'll be installing the tiles, too. A lot of the drone is just the trunk pan resonating.
I ordered 10 tiles. Only took 5 FYI. I just just kept tapping around and sticking a piece of tile where I heard the gong sound. When that was gone I stopped. Very happy with the results. So much so that the loudness of the exhaust is growing on me. Mrs. Chainring still hates it though.

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Two different sources of drone you Gents are talking about. For generations of Miata the relatively big metal trunk base without much coating will too easily pickup and radiate noise like a big metal gong (road noise and exhaust noise and driveline, etc). Indeed some dynamat or similar is very useful to knock that down. The Helmholtz chamber cuts more than 40 DB from the 120 to 130 hertz of what is actually coming out the tailpipe as measured from the passenger area of the car. During development of the helmholtz setups for Miata and Fiata we actually equip the cars with spectrum analyzer and numerous mics taped to the seat headrests and dash area so we can tune the helmholtz valve to the car. Peak reduction of the new 'System One' was 46/48 db in that range most of us typically perceive as 'drone', which is that 120 to 130 hertz range. So, that's not 'eliminate' but a massive reduction, nothing near as open flow will control better. Changing back and forth between the same highflow system with and without (and our RoadsterSport brand bits) made it really obvious how much it helps. I have all our options at home, and a sample of pretty much EVERY other bit of Fiat 124 exhaust bit that currently exists, and System One has become my top choice by far and that's what's in my Fiata 124 every day now. Particularly for those who plan to run a highflow cat like our SportCat, the System One is my top suggestion.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Two different sources of drone you Gents are talking about. For generations of Miata the relatively big metal trunk base without much coating will too easily pickup and radiate noise like a big metal gong (road noise and exhaust noise and driveline, etc). Indeed some dynamat or similar is very useful to knock that down. The Helmholtz chamber cuts more than 40 DB from the 120 to 130 hertz of what is actually coming out the tailpipe as measured from the passenger area of the car. During development of the helmholtz setups for Miata and Fiata we actually equip the cars with spectrum analyzer and numerous mics taped to the seat headrests and dash area so we can tune the helmholtz valve to the car. Peak reduction of the new 'System One' was 46/48 db in that range most of us typically perceive as 'drone', which is that 120 to 130 hertz range. So, that's not 'eliminate' but a massive reduction, nothing near as open flow will control better. Changing back and forth between the same highflow system with and without (and our RoadsterSport brand bits) made it really obvious how much it helps. I have all our options at home, and a sample of pretty much EVERY other bit of Fiat 124 exhaust bit that currently exists, and System One has become my top choice by far and that's what's in my Fiata 124 every day now. Particularly for those who plan to run a highflow cat like our SportCat, the System One is my top suggestion.
This is the system I would have gone with but unfortunately I ordered the RoadsterSport system just a couple weeks too early. Not unhappy. It has grown on me.

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I should note that the new System One does have some compromises too. It is not all polished like RoadsterSport, and System One is 'one' size fits all on the exhaust tips. So, the Magnaflow tips look wonderfully stuffed on Classica, but are a bit smaller than our 'Abarth' version tips in the RoadsterSport brand shown below. Thus, those not planning the SportCat may prefer the higher finish details and customized by trim package RoadsterSport choices.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My guess is 3 hours. Time me
Might be about right.. Im sure you have but just make sure you read through the posts of issues installing. Make sure to get a new gasket if you got the new down pipe and be careful of those **** bolts... if you didnt get the down pipe I assume it would be very easy. I opted to pay someone to install it, big mistake, and ran into huge issues but ended up perfect in the end.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Might be about right.. Im sure you have but just make sure you read through the posts of issues installing. Make sure to get a new gasket if you got the new down pipe and be careful of those **** bolts... if you didnt get the down pipe I assume it would be very easy. I opted to pay someone to install it, big mistake, and ran into huge issues but ended up perfect in the end.
I didn't touch the downpipe yet. Just downpipe back.

Trick is to heat areas when you remove studs. Gotta break that bond

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
181 - 200 of 240 Posts