Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
So basically what I'm seeing is that if you're going with the SportCat, get the Roadstersport, and if you're not, go with the System One?

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
So basically what I'm seeing is that if you're going with the SportCat, get the Roadstersport, and if you're not, go with the System One?

Sorta of got it backwards in my view. Both setups fit with Sportcat, but once you get rid of factory converter you may notice more drone. System One was designed after we got SportCat done and we added special helmholtz resonator to System One because we noticed that drone ourselves, Helmholtz resonator deals specifically with drone. Thus, IMHO those intending to get SportCat are best off having Helmholtz, that means System One. If never going to change the converter, doesn't matter that much.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would get System One now if I didn’t already have the RoadsterSport. But the drone is livable for me with the SportCat. I have the resonator.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I would get System One now if I didn’t already have the RoadsterSport. But the drone is livable for me with the SportCat. I have the resonator.
Same here. Unfortunately for me System One came out when I still had the Roadster Sport stuff still sitting in boxes in the garage. The sound deadening tiles are a cheap way of dealing with the drone so it's not so bad now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorta of got it backwards in my view. Both setups fit with Sportcat, but once you get rid of factory converter you may notice more drone. System One was designed after we got SportCat done and we added special helmholtz resonator to System One because we noticed that drone ourselves, Helmholtz resonator deals specifically with drone. Thus, IMHO those intending to get SportCat are best off having Helmholtz, that means System One. If never going to change the converter, doesn't matter that much.
Cool, so the difference between the System One crosspipe being 2.25" and RoadsterSport crosspipe being 2.5" is negligible? The System One just sounds so good, that if the difference is not noticeable, then I'll probably be going with that once my tax return gets in.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
\ once my tax return gets in.
You're getting money back? I got a rude awakening this year. So much for a "tax cut".

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you have a manual, I believe the 2.5 inch Roadster Sport crosspipe will work with the System One... Think it was mentioned on the miata forum

·
Registered
258 Posts
You're getting money back? I got a rude awakening this year. So much for a "tax cut".
Two kids and a deployment really help the situation lol.

If you have a manual, I believe the 2.5 inch Roadster Sport crosspipe will work with the System One... Think it was mentioned on the miata forum
I'll have to look more into that then, I didn't think that the crosspipes would be compatible.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
The difference between 2.25 and 2.5 is indeed very small, I doubt anyone can feel difference between the two. Both 2.25 and 2.5 so MASSIVELY better than much smaller crunch bent stock pipe that worrying about that last quarter inch will be silly for all but the most hardcore track and autocross competitors. We do compete with our Fiat 124, so we do have the 2.5 inch RoadsterSport Crosspipe matched to the System One in our Fiat 124.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I’ve got the RoadsterSport 2.25” crosspipe because I have an auto, and it is awesome. I would not fret about that extra quarter inch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm currently running a muffler delete axel back resonated exhaust. I am planning on ordering the 2.5 over pipe and have a custom mid pipe built to match for my Abarth 124 manual. Does anyone know if I may have any issues with this setup? CEL, Overly loud or droning?

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Posting this pic again after someone asked for this pic again. The FACTORY midpipe is all crunch bends, bad for flow, crunched down well under 2 inches in several places, which delays turbo spool and limits power. That factory midpipe is not as bad as the factory Crosspipe, but far from ideal. Ideal is clean 2.5 inches of flow all the way through Crosspipe and out the tips and only way to do that is proper size flanges all the way. Note that 2.5 inch Crosspipe doesn't fit with automatic, we have 2.25 for automatic owners and those getting our 'System One' Magnaflow setup. That 2.25 inch size is good enough for most folks, the 2.5 has just slight advantage at the top end of rpms so if not getting to redline you won't find the difference between 2.25 and 2.5.

Sorry I missed that question above about drone, I didn't really notice any drone with any of our RoadsterSport highflow setups until we did highflow converter (SportCat), after that I wanted a Helmholtz chamber in there to control drone which is why the System One has that feature added, and everything created prior in the RoadsterSport brand did not get a Helmholtz. For most folks, if doing standard glass packed resonator in the system and staying with stock converter it won't make too much difference. But if you 'might' someday do the Sportcat, do yourself a favor and start with our Helmholtz equipped setup, the System One.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Serves Fiat Right to receive all of those “turbo lag” complaints because of their sub-par engineering...good thing we have you guys :)

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
Serves Fiat Right to receive all of those “turbo lag” complaints because of their sub-par engineering...good thing we have you guys :)
Well, everything is made to a price right? First they got to buy the rest of the car from Mazda and pay Mazda to put it together, that seriously limits Fiat's profit margins on the Fiat 124. And then they had to deal with some limitations on how this car was designed to take the exhaust system down the passenger side of the car. If Fiat had designed this car from the ground up there would be no crosspipe, they would have put the exhaust channel on the driver's side of the car and we would have cleaner straight downpipe instead of the Crosspipe that was required to get Fiat's motor to work with the Miata designed exhaust tunnel location, Fiat has to 'jump' their exhaust path over the trans to the passenger side of the trans and driveshaft. Overall I think Fiat did a good job with the constraints they had to work within, fortunately we can do even better when not as limited on budget.

Overall I certainly love driving this car, particularly with the right mods, our complete exhaust with the stuffed turbo from Bryan at NGEN is how this car should have left the factory, but then it would have cost thousands more from the factory, so that's the tradeoff.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Brian, does the System One fit properly with the RoadsterSport crosspipe? I’ve seen a couple posts from people that have done it that suggested some fitment issues.

·
124 Spider Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
Brian, does the System One fit properly with the RoadsterSport crosspipe? I’ve seen a couple posts from people that have done it that suggested some fitment issues.
I have the 2.5 RoadsterSport Crosspipe on our Fiat 124 with System One, and we have done that same install for customers here without issues. Nonetheless, it is true that the System One was designed with a System One Crosspipe actually made for that setup and there are some design differences in the flange setups such that we expect best and easiest fit is going to come from staying same brand start to finish. Just because we can always make it work here does not mean less experienced shade tree mechanics will get it done at home without some struggle, and frankly a few too many folks insist on doing stuff at home despite lack of correct tools and experience. Every week I get the phone call from somebody having challenge installing some exhaust item on Miata or Fiat, usually we can talk them through it, but sometimes painfully obvious they should have hired a mechanic because the job was just beyond their skills and meager tool collections. In otherwords, paying the best professional mechanic is sometimes the lowest cost choice, for pocket book and your sanity. o_O My experience is that install of the Crosspipe, regardless of brand choice, is just a bit beyond the skill levels of the average customer and most should hire a Professional to install that item.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I have the 2.5 RoadsterSport Crosspipe on our Fiat 124 with System One, and we have done that some install for customers here without issues. Nonetheless, it is true that the System One was designed with a System One Crosspipe actually made for that setup and there are some design differences in the flange setups such that we expect best and easiest fit is going to come from staying same brand start to finish. Just because we can always make it work here does not mean less experienced shade tree mechanics will get it done at home without some struggle, and frankly a few too many folks insist on doing stuff at home despite lack of correct tools and experience. Every week I get the phone call from somebody having challenge installing some exhaust item on Miata or Fiat, usually we can talk them through it, but sometimes painfully obvious they should have hired a mechanic because the job was just beyond their skills and meager tool collections. In otherwords, paying the best professional mechanic is sometimes the lowest cost choice, for pocket book and your sanity. o_O
Thanks for the reply, Brian!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brian / Folks who have roadster sport combo ( cross+mid+exh) - How even you have connection between cross and mid pipe? Few weeks ago I was changing oil, and find out distance between them was different on different bolts.
Car is not complaining ( no errors), but I had few times some issues while it was cold and OBD reader saying car is not ready for emission testing.

201 - 220 of 240 Posts