Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Autocross win yesterday, in a field of BMW M this and that and six figure Porsche models and Corvettes and S2000s the fastest thing with doors was a wee little 1.4 liter turbo Fiata!

Get a lot of questions about sound levels on our exhaust choices. This is system one with resonator installed (takes just 5 minutes for the quick change feature resonator vs straight pipe swap). Also this car has our SportCat and that raises the sound some....and our RoadsterSport 2.5 inch Crosspipe that further raises the sound. Nonetheless, with camera mounted next to my ear the video shows how reasonable a complete 2.5 inch highflow system can be. We have strict sound limits at this venue for SCCA and this car is nowhere near the 93db limit. Also notice that in the moments I am trailing off throttle for turning into a corner you don't get any booming drone like many highflow setups, instead it gets near silent thanks to the unique Helmholtz resonator always in this setup. Thus, TWO resonators in this setup included, one Helmholtz that is always in, one high density Magnaflow fiber resonator that can be swapped for the quick change straight pipe.

More details click here: SYSTEM ONE

RoadsterSport Fiat 124 HighFlow Crosspipe

RoadsterSport Fiat 124 SportCat Ultra High Performance Downpipe

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Brian i am struggling to not replace my RoadsterSport with System One. This sounds better than my RoadsterSport with SportCat.

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I hear you on that. The RoadsterSport setup you have is the highest quality 304 stainless complete Fiat 124 system and folks love it...at least until they add that Sportcat. The Sportcat really changes the game.

The System One started much later than the RoadsterSport Systems as a budget alternative, and development came AFTER we did that Sportcat and discovered how much drone gets added with that last element. That added drone that comes with adding a highflow downpipe prompted me to include the Helmholtz chamber in the System One. So, the tradeoff you face is that you will notice the materials and finish are not near the standard of what you have now in the RoadsterSport pieces, we don't bother to polish any of 400 series sections of System One (through we do use a bit of 300 for the polished tips you can see out the back and the can for the removeable rockwool resonator). In contrast your Roadstersport system is all polished 300 series stainless. But driving with the Sportcat I certainly appreciate the drone control added with that unique helmholtz chamber.

Thus, for those reading along, if never going to do a downpipe I usually suggest the RoadsterSport setup for best materials and most choice in terms of quad tip or twin, bigger fiber resonator than used in System One, etc. And you can start with just the muffler delete section with RoadsterSport and work forward to get the midpipe later as you like, and the RoadsterSport Crosspipe, etc. But if going to do the Sportcat I now suggest starting with the SystemOne.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Brian, can you comment on fitment of the System One between manual and automatic transmissions? The RoadsterSport midpipe is different for each. How were you able to get one solution to fit both with System One? Thanks.

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed for System One we make just one optional crosspipe, in the 2.25 inch size that fits manual and automatic. In the more bespoke RoadsterSport pieces we make both 2.25 for auto and 2.5 inch for manual trans.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just to note, I've been to some track days with 95 dB limits, and my System One with the straight pipe installed didn't bust the limit. YMMV though.

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our limit here is 93db at stadium and even with 2.5 RoadsterSport Crosspipe in front of SystemOne, and SportCat highflow downpipe we still don't get even close to the limits.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Our limit here is 93db at stadium and even with 2.5 RoadsterSport Crosspipe in front of SystemOne, and SportCat highflow downpipe we still don't get even close to the limits.
Yea, I got your whole system too, including the SportCat, the 2.5" crosspipe, and it's just been amazing. I haven't needed to put the resonator back in yet, and the sound it great with the straight pipe. Everyone at the track days who've heard the exhaust were gushing over it lol.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yea, I got your whole system too, including the SportCat, the 2.5" crosspipe, and it's just been amazing. I haven't needed to put the resonator back in yet, and the sound it great with the straight pipe. Everyone at the track days who've heard the exhaust were gushing over it lol.
I am considering this approach as well....

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
2.5 vs 2.25!
The real benefit of system one is cost and being able to be more quiet.

it’s a good solution for a daily but if its a toy or track car, just get the roadster-everything because 2.5 is better I guess.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Brian, since you mention dB. What do you think the noise level of the complete non resonated roadster sport system is? Stock cat. Think I’d pass a 95db limit or better I install a resonator with what I already have?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
To be clear, System One is 2.5 inch. Only the optional Crosspipe for System One is 2.25 so it fits both Auto and Manual. Customers with System One can install the RoadsterSport 2.5 inch Crosspipe.
oh...! Ok good to confirm. Ill get THAT crosspipe LOL

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brian, since you mention dB. What do you think the noise level of the complete non resonated roadster sport system is? Stock cat. Think I’d pass a 95db limit or better I install a resonator with what I already have?

We have a local customer running with our SYSTEM ONE and I believe he is stock converter....and he runs without the quick change resonator in the midpipe, so that will be same sound level and sound as RoadsterSport without resonator. He is making it under our 93 db sound limit, sounds amazing every time he leaves the line.

You didn't mention if you have RoadsterSport Quad or Twin. The RoadsterSport Twin has lots of adjustment potential, could add baffles, or use Laguna Turn Outs on Autocross day to point sound away from the sound meter.

Even the baffles on Twin Tip make a big difference:

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another Fiat 124 Customer here at Good-Win Racing today for RoadsterSport exhaust bolt on fun! On startup I am reminded how very mild a delete is on Classica and Lusso because these models have a factory midpipe resonator (unlike the Abarth). Final sound as shown here is still well under a stock Abarth, just a nice deep note compared to almost no exhaust sound when it was stock a few minutes before. Who is next for some easy bolt on fun?

Start shopping right here: Fiat 124 2017-2020 Exhaust - Fiat-124 Performance Parts

·
124 Spider Vendor
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Had a customer ask me today if they can skip the midpipe and do just Crosspipe change with one of our deletes. Not much point, either buy one of our complete setups or work from the back to the front of the car as budget permits, silly to leave a bottleneck halfway down the system like the stock midpipe. That means start with delete, then do midpipe, then do crosspipe, then perhaps Sportcat. Note that our SystemOne for $999 is a midpipe and rear delete plus a quick change resoantor for the midpipe PLUS a Helmholtz resonator for the muffler delete that prevents drone. With the SystemOne Crosspipe total is $1298 for complete system delivered, and RoadsterSport all 304 stainless complete systems with muffler delete axle back, plus midpipe, plus Crosspipe....start at just $1349 delivered in all polished stainless and a lifetime guarantee.

Stock midpipe is really not much better than stock crap crosspipe. Here is a reminder picture of what the stock midpipe actually looks like, all crunch bends and crunched down well under 2 inches diameter in several places, which delays turbo spool and limits power.

STOCK MIDPIPE:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts