Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 124 is 10 days old. Love that new car smell right?

Well at least I did until I spilled a cup of coffee and it got into every crack and crevice imaginable. Now the car smells like old coffee. I'd have to take out the whole center console to clean it out.

Dumbass.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Ugh!!!!

I had restored my interior in my 71 Duster. Had it cherry. Dad and I went for a cruise...he had his thermal coffee mug with him. Set it on the floor board. We stop at a pre-meet to cruise to the actual cruise site. Talking story with the other car owners...climb back in..dad kick the coffee mug over and spills the entire contents on my new carpet...it wasn't coffee..but BEER.

So it could be worse!

No officer. I haven't been drinking!!! I smell alcohol..sir please step out of the vehicle.

Ugh!

Aloha.

Reactions: Seagas and depotdan

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry to hear that, @phenomjones. Nothing but water is allowed in my Abarth, because I've spilled far too much coffee in my days.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I drink (non sugared) liquids and sometimes eat in my 124. The drink stays in the front cup holder. I would hate to dump liquids on my perforated leather. ugh. Better to spill nonsugar drinks...or no drinks.
Sorry about the OP's accident. At the very least he will know how to remove the center console!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a couple of 64oz growlers that I put in the trunk when I have them filled. I got home with them one day and found that one of the lids hadn't been tightened and around 16oz of Dragon's Milk had spilled all over the trunk. Dragon's Milk is a dark stout that dries to a sticky mess. To get the smell out of the car I eventually had to take all the trim out of the trunk to clean it thoroughly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Reminds me of years ago when I went to "Summer Camp" with the Army Reserves. Put a 5th of Jack Daniels in my duffle bag in the back of the duce-and-a-half (truck) with all my clothes. The top somehow came unscrewed on the way to Ft. Bragg. What a friggin mess! Looking back after all the years it's pretty funny...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I once knew this guy ...... he to was a dumdbass. On the way to a dinner party he stopped at a wine store to get a couple of bottles of wine to take to the event. Each bottle was bagged separately and the were put in the trunk. Apparently, during my spirited driving the bottles got free of the bags, they smashed together and both broke in the trunk on my one week old BMW 1 Series. It only cost me about $100 to replace the floor mat in the trunk. I think of it as a learning experience and can now laugh about it.

It seems you're not the only dumbass here.

Paul

·
Registered
350 Posts
Many many moons ago, I had a gallon jug of break in my truck in winter. Cleaned it as good as I could and all was fine till the weather got warmer, still get chills of that smell when i open the truck :eek:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Coffee spills do stink, especially with souring cream or milk, but the good news is that the smell eventually goes away. I was a commuter for years and had my fair share of mishaps.

Much worse is vomit or cigar smoke.

Reactions: Fiatbreath

·
Registered
639 Posts
I remember I once had a garlic dill pickle jar leak all his juice in my 91 Dodge Colt 200 (Mitsu Mirage in the USA) carpet. :eek:

Whatever solutions I tried to clean it I never got rid of that garlic smell in my car. At least it became a formidable vampires repellent!! :D

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have kids - they don't get in the Spider except in some dire emergency and only then after being strip searched for contraband goldfish crackers and chocolate.

Its the only car I've had for a couple of years now that hasn't had some kind of suspicious smell in it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have to chuckle every time I see your thread title. funny!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have kids - they don't get in the Spider except in some dire emergency and only then after being strip searched for contraband goldfish crackers and chocolate.

Its the only car I've had for a couple of years now that hasn't had some kind of suspicious smell in it.
Ha. When my kids were little (they’re in college now) I had a 2003 Honda Pilot. I think someone could have survived 6 months on the food strewn about that car. BTW, French fries never rot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been sucessful in removing odors in cars by two methods...1. Mix a 50/50 vinegar and warm water solution into a spray bottle before applying to the carpet. This will ensure you don't soak the carpet fibers, as this could cause new mildew deposits to form. Next, pour a generous amount of baking soda directly onto the affected area of your carpet and vacuum.
2. As the story goes, ahem, my husband, when we were dating, he asked me to drive his X WIFE'S, grrr, Mini Cooper back from a service garage. I regrettably agreed, however, before returning, I stopped at the drug store for a moment and purchased the CHEAPEST 1980's perfume. Gosh, it was amazing how any past odor or any fowl smells were quickly eliminated when applying generous amounts to the interior fabrics. The scent seems to last quiet long too.
Just my suggestions.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have been sucessful in removing odors in cars by two methods...1. Mix a 50/50 vinegar and warm water solution into a spray bottle before applying to the carpet. This will ensure you don't soak the carpet fibers, as this could cause new mildew deposits to form. Next, pour a generous amount of baking soda directly onto the affected area of your carpet and vacuum.
2. As the story goes, ahem, my husband, when we were dating, he asked me to drive his X WIFE'S, grrr, Mini Cooper back from a service garage. I regrettably agreed, however, before returning, I stopped at the drug store for a moment and purchased the CHEAPEST 1980's perfume. Gosh, it was amazing how any past odor or any fowl smells were quickly eliminated when applying generous amounts to the interior fabrics. The scent seems to last quiet long too.
Just my suggestions.
Guess we need to add "ex-wife" smell to vomit and cigar smoke as some of the hardest to get rid of, lol...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts