Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are going to love this one. I'm out driving my new Abarth last weekend with the top down even though it was only 40 degrees but sunny. I live in Minnesota but was cruising some nice winding roads on the Wisconsin side of the St. Croix River. While passing through Prescott, I suddenly see the flashing lights and pull over. I was not speeding (at least not for a number of miles ;)). The officer said I did not have license plates and that was why he pulled me over. Well in Minnesota, we just have a yellow temporary permit and mine was taped to the front window. He asks for my Dr. Lic, Insurance Card & proof of ownership. Luckily I had my purchase agreement. WI has a different program requiring temporary license plates. Anyway after the whole annoyance (I did not get a ticket), I have come to the conclusion that the officer was bored or just more interested in getting a look at a car he hadn't seen before. So, if you are a MN Driver with a temporary permit, don't be surprised if you get pulled over!
Drew

·
Administrator
1,925 Posts
That's hilarious. My first test drive with my Abarth, I got pulled over as well, for the exact same thing! The officer pulled us over due to not having plates. The salesman had the license plate on the front window and said it wouldn't stay put on the back window, so he let us go.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tomorrow I am driving from Southern California to Portland, Oregon, sporting a South Carolina temporary permit. Yes, South Carolina, not California. I'll have my insurance card, Oregon driver's license, and a copy of the Bill of Sale. Hope it will be enough. I fully expect to get pulled over.

·
Registered
155 Posts
From Wisconsin: When we test drove the car we had no plates on it AT ALL. The dealers said that their rubber holder things that get pinched in the trunk won't work so we went with nothing and had no trouble.
I don't know the law to a "T" but I do know that "LAF" or temporary plates are not tolerated and just asking to get pulled over. When we bought the car, the finance lady reached down into a box next to her and pulled out our new registered and ready to go plates. She had a box for FIAT, Alpha Romeo & Dodge. Apparently she can't slap any plate she wants to on a car, it has to come from the correct pile.

Anyway, big post, but glad to hear you didn't get a ticket.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a similar encounter with a Minnesota "experimental vehicle" license.

After about 20 minutes and a couple visits to my window to ask follow-up questions, I was encouraged to take the convoy back to Minnesota.

Glad you're spider is still ticketless!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heck, I had a local trooper pull me over just to ask about the car. Of course, it helps that we know each other so it wasn't a big deal to me. He'd been meaning to stop by the house (he's seen me around town it in several times) but kept forgetting and when he saw me going around the loop he decided to ask then. :nerd:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Heck, I had a local trooper pull me over just to ask about the car. Of course, it helps that we know each other so it wasn't a big deal to me. He'd been meaning to stop by the house (he's seen me around town it in several times) but kept forgetting and when he saw me going around the loop he decided to ask then. :nerd:
Ha! Trooper? Is he Texas DPS? :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts