Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lately, the GPS has been "off" in my car. It generally shows you on your route but the icon will move about 1/8 mile off the course and think you're in the woods or something when you are on the correct route. Resulting in constant 'route recalculation.'

Can you recalibrate this or is it a warranty issue?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Try doing a re-boot of the infotainment system, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'd be leaning towards taking it to the dealer and having it reported as a warranty issue. Key to that is getting it officially logged as a claim so you've got something in their database showing when the problem first cropped up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Try doing a re-boot of the infotainment system, and if that doesn't resolve it, I'd be leaning towards taking it to the dealer and having it reported as a warranty issue. Key to that is getting it officially logged as a claim so you've got something in their database showing when the problem first cropped up.
Hello CDpond,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your reboot concern. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to Canadian Customer Care for potential assistance while visiting your dealer. I have provided their number below:
1-800-521-9900
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hello CDpond,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your reboot concern. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to Canadian Customer Care for potential assistance while visiting your dealer. I have provided their number below:
1-800-521-9900
Laura
FiatCares
Laura, thank you for the reply, but if you read my comment more carefully, you'll see I was making a suggestion to help another forum member address their problem. For minor issues, I have an incredible local dealership service manager that I deal with. He and his team are incredible. When I have major issues that even they can't deal with, I have contacts in Turin that speak to FCA Canada on my behalf. They're very effective. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just lately, the GPS has been "off" in my car. It generally shows you on your route but the icon will move about 1/8 mile off the course and think you're in the woods or something when you are on the correct route. Resulting in constant 'route recalculation.'

Can you recalibrate this or is it a warranty issue?

Mazda TSB R009/18A covered this issue for CMU replacement up to manufacture date of May 2017.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Also be aware the government (more specifically, the military), can and does degrade GPS signal from time to time for testing purposes in certain parts of the country. However, if its been a problem consistently for more than a couple of days, that's probably not the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It comes and goes. Did the reboot - zero effect. It generally starts off ok and then starts to drift after a while - and then will correct itself - and then it will happen again. I always check and often there are 6-9 satellites connected. Haven't seen any pattern to it. I plan on calling the dealer and bringing it in for warranty service with a bunch of photos of it clearly malfunctioning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It comes and goes. Did the reboot - zero effect. It generally starts off ok and then starts to drift after a while - and then will correct itself - and then it will happen again. I always check and often there are 6-9 satellites connected. Haven't seen any pattern to it. I plan on calling the dealer and bringing it in for warranty service with a bunch of photos of it clearly malfunctioning.
Hello bclaire,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. Please keep us updated on your service appointment. If we can provide any additional assistance throughout that process do not hesitate to send us a private message.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, car was gone for two weeks. On first report they couldn't reproduce the issue but then they only drove 2 miles. I sent video and photos of the icon drifted off of the road, as well as links to Mazda's TSB's that show the problem. I went to pick up the car today - they replaced only the GPS antenna - told me they road-tested it - got about 2.5 miles up the road and heard the old familiar "route recalculation" and saw that the car icon was again way to the right of the road. 10 satellites connected. Shot some pictures, pulled an illegal U-turn, and went back to the dealer. Emailed the service guy I dealt with (who wasn't there today) and refrained from filling out the customer satisfaction survey that picking up the car automatically generated. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talked to them on Saturday - they said they had a new SD card on order and that should fix it.

If they replace my card, they better copy my favorites over like the TSB from Mazda says to do first....

and is that going to fix it?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure why the card would be the problem. It's just a storage device and either works or does not work. If the wrong location is "random" then it's likely to be the antenna. If the wrong location is always wrong at a particular place then it's not the antenna. Most likely suspect is the software version of the SatNav/Infotainment unit.... I trust they updated that before attempting any further diagnosis/repair ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm not sure what your Fiat technicians are thinking. I had the MX5 (Miata) ND RF.... photo attached... with the similar incorrect GPS location issue. It was resolved at first attempt with Infotainment software update to latest available version. Same SD card. Same GPS antenna. I'll be interested to see how this progresses.
Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Talked to them on Saturday - they said they had a new SD card on order and that should fix it.

If they replace my card, they better copy my favorites over like the TSB from Mazda says to do first....

and is that going to fix it?
Hate to say it, but my rampant speculation is that replacing the card is going to do SFA regarding the accuracy of the system. The card just contains geographic data; whereas the software and hardware system that accesses that data is responsible for figuring out where your vehicle is relative to the information on the map. That's like having a fried motherboard and the computer shop telling you they'll give you a new CD with the operating system on it, and that will fix your problem. To me, this sounds very much like a hardware issue, specifically either the firmware in the Infotainment System, or the electronics tied to and including the antenna that receives the navsat data stream.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts