Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the 124 Spider Abarth and trying to decide on options. I notice that the Luxury Collection with Sirius mentions the GPS where as the Safety and Comfort Collection option does not mention it. That is really the only thing that is important to me in the added package area. My question is can the GPS be activated in the Abarth with only the Safety and Comfort Collection option?
Thank you. BTW...My last Fiat was a 1969 124 Spider. Miss it.
Mike

I previously posted this in the 124 Spider group and switched here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went went with safety and comfort to avoid the wart as I don't activate satellite service on my weekend ride. Bought the sd card on eBay for $115 from a well rated seller with no problems (the map company provides the 3 years of updates so read thread here on adding the eBay sd card). Just keep in mind you want the sat package if you want traffic features so luxury option will be a good way to go for some.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There is no live traffic info (at least in the US) regardless - historical data only. The Mazda infotainment center was designed for it, but it has been removed due to contract issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what I thought, although the package listings make it a bit confusing. I did check the general standard equipment and it lists the gps as being available.

All the things I would like listed in the luxury package are also included in the safety/comfort package. The options not included are things that I really have no interest in. So the safety/comfort package seems like a nice way to go and also save a substantial bit of money.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I agree, the listing of what's included is confusing. With the luxury package, it implies traffic availability, but I have been unable to see any traffic info. If that's important, then using your cell phone is still going to be the way to get traffic info. If you don't feel the need for the other lux items, then it makes sense to skip it.

Im still bemused by the infotainment system. It, like most technology today, is designed by idiot-geeks. (Oh, jeez, I feel a rant coming on...).

·
Banned
425 Posts
There is no live traffic info (at least in the US) regardless - historical data only. The Mazda infotainment center was designed for it, but it has been removed due to contract issues.
HD radio provides live traffic for most major U.S cities. Why Fiat doesn't integrate the HD radio our cars have with the navigation software to provide live traffic is a mystery and something we all should be asking Fiat to explore.

·
Registered
351 Posts
HD radio provides live traffic for most major U.S cities. Why Fiat doesn't integrate the HD radio our cars have with the navigation software to provide live traffic is a mystery and something we all should be asking Fiat to explore.
It's Mazda's navigation software and it had the ability at one point, but they ran into some complicated contracting issues and removed it. Some early 2016 Mazdas had live traffic routing, but it was later greyed out then removed completely.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Waze beats the Nav with traffic updates on our other car, so I didn't worry about it with this car. Also, it was almost impossible to find a Rosso Abarth with Sirius in the Western US. Like most here, I purchased the Nav card later and installed it myself. You will save yourself several hundred miles doing so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased my Lusso with Safety and Technology only; seemed crazy to pay $499 extra for nav.
Bought the Nav SD card on eBay for $135, followed the instructions to install and now have full nav.
Agree mobile devices do GPS better than in-car versions, but it is nice to "see" the screen.

Look for Navigation LLC seller on eBay.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I purchased my Lusso with Safety and Technology only; seemed crazy to pay $499 extra for nav.
Bought the Nav SD card on eBay for $135, followed the instructions to install and now have full nav.
Agree mobile devices do GPS better than in-car versions, but it is nice to "see" the screen.

Look for Navigation LLC seller on eBay.
That's what i've always said for years, even Blackberry phones from 7 years ago did better than some of the automotive GPS systems right now.

These will only get better as brands like Google can fully integrate their system to vehicles. The best will be having 3D maps projected to our windshields by an HUD ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't care about the live traffic reports. I'm retired and in no hurry to get anywhere. Besides, sitting in an Abarth in traffic with the top down would make for some nice cross car conversation anyway. Your right on about ebay SD cards too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts