Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Back from another day at Willow Springs Raceway....Fiat 124 new top top lap time of 1.25 at Willow Springs Streets. Credit EC Intercooler Upgrade...and our OFT Tablet Reflash for more consistent power.

During the 'Family Feud' shootout with Grassroots MotorSports Magazine the Fiat was fast yet frustrating, because first lap was needed to warm the tires...and then you had laps 2 and 3 to hit your marks or the power fell off so seriously with heat soak that the opportunity was gone. Yesterday our best was only 1 second faster...yet that doesn't tell the whole story, the car was MUCH more consistent. Last session of my day the ambient was 80F and best lap...was lap 7 because, though there was still some drop off in power, the car was consistent enough to allow the driver to get back to working with lines and throttle tip in points.

At this point, our Fiat needs two things: BIGGER TURBO....and AERO. Too much time lost to corner speeds without aero to help stick the car, and too much time lost on the straights with the little turbo not able to really deliver the torque the rest of the car is ready to handle. Need real aero like shown on our ND in lower pic. My guess is big turbo would drop our lap time another one second, aero would get us another second, be looking at 1.23 range and then serious weight reduction would be needed to get us to 1:21 range. I have gone that fast in a built Miata, but was stripped out flat bottom stitch welded trailer queen, I don't want to get that extreme with the Fiat project. Likely look at big turbo as next step.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts