Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 17' that I bought used last year. I noticed that the convertible top had a small tear in it where it was rubbing against the roll bar. Still under warranty, so I swung by the dealer, they looked at it and said "Yep, it needs to be replaced, we'll order the parts." That was in September. I've been diligently checking in with them, and when I emailed them yesterday, they said "The part is now due onsite at the end of March."

Now, I should point out that this delivery date has already slipped 3 times, so I have no confidence that the parts will show in March. They marked my record as saying that the car was left at the dealership (ie - I don't have it and can't drive it), but clearly that doesn't make any difference.

Love Fiat - had 2 X1/9's in the 80's, just got rid of my 12' 500 because I couldn't resist the itch for a 124, and so far the car is great. I just don't see how they could have such a horrible parts acquisition process that 7 months will pass.

There - vent completed - I'll shut up now.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would keep pushing back on that. That is not a reasonable timeline and there's no reason the part should take that long to source. I would encourage you to escalate this, whether it be through the dealer, their regional team, or Fiat Cares. My SA has always been able to pull strings to get back-ordered Fiat parts within a week, including a new convertible top. Good luck!

·
Registered
790 Posts
The point is, one should have to escalate a warranty repair in order to avoid waiting months for a part for a vehicle still in production. I can't even imagine the headaches we'll be having a couple of years from now.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The point is, one should have to escalate a warranty repair in order to avoid waiting months for a part for a vehicle still in production. I can't even imagine the headaches we'll be having a couple of years from now.
Inventory is a common problem to most auto industry due to cost savings. So nothing new.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The point is, one should have to escalate a warranty repair in order to avoid waiting months for a part for a vehicle still in production.
Ok. And the top shouldn't rub the roll hoops in the first place. But they do, and if you (or OP, in this case) want it handled faster, that may be achievable by escalating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was still in end of year relaxed mode, but I guess it's time to get back to it. With that in mind, I've escalated to FCA via online and followed with a phone call. Will keep this thread updated on when it's resolved...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had my top replaced under warrantee... took several months to get it. The new top fits worse and will wear quicker then the old one. It is also poorly aligned and now a pain to close. Mentioned it to the dealer when I picked it up. He said give it time to stretch. A totally laughable response. In springtime, it will have to go back to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
I’m sorry you’re learning about FCA Parts the bad way. They have little more than oil filters and wiper blades in the NA inventory. They have not invested in a capable spares inventory.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
647 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere along with a TSB from Mazda addressing this top rubbing issue. The solution is to tweak the roll bar mounting, not replace the top. The top itself is not the problem.So any replacement will not fix the issue unless the roll bar positioning is taken care of.

·
Registered
790 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere along with a TSB from Mazda addressing this top rubbing issue. The solution is to tweak the roll bar mounting, not replace the top. The top itself is not the problem.So any replacement will not fix the issue unless the roll bar positioning is taken care of.
FWIW, When I first got mine I noticed that it was rubbing against to roll bar on the driver's side. I simply made it a point to push extra hard on the the top near the boot after I lowered it to pull it away. After a couple of weeks of doing this it permanently adjusted to a point that it no longer rubbed. It's been two years and it's still fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am in much the same experience. My new 2019 Spider has been at the dealer for over two months now waiting on parts for warranty work. I dropped it off in October and am still wating to get my car back. No response whatsoever from dealership nor @FiatCares ;even after multiple attempts at communication from me. Lack of parts/horrible dealer service experience are going to be the death of this brand in the US. Such a shame for such a great car!

·
Registered
530 Posts
The dealer replaced the roll bar covers as well, although there was no damage or wear to them. I specifically mentioned to them that on the Miatas the roll bar was being tweaked, but they checked with FIAT and were advised the solution was a new top and covers. I agree with the above poster, that replacing the top won't address the cause.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Unfortunate that some low-level engineer without a full understanding of the issue makes a "how to fix it" decision without a comprehensive investigation into the real cause.How often does that happen in real life. Sad, sad!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in much the same experience. My new 2019 Spider has been at the dealer for over two months now waiting on parts for warranty work. I dropped it off in October and am still wating to get my car back. No response whatsoever from dealership nor @FiatCares ;even after multiple attempts at communication from me. Lack of parts/horrible dealer service experience are going to be the death of this brand in the US. Such a shame for such a great car!
Hello walawn,
We are certainly sorry as we have had some technical difficulties on our end. We just responded to your most recent private message, but wanted to touch base with you here as well. Hope to hear from you soon!
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello walawn,
We are certainly sorry as we have had some technical difficulties on our end. We just responded to your most recent private message, but wanted to touch base with you here as well. Hope to hear from you soon!
Laura
FiatCares
Thank you. I have responded to your message. My dealership quoted me mid-December 2019 for parts. That estimate has now been moved to Jan. 11th. Hopefully you can assist. Sorry to OP for hijacking thread.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just a crazy thought: To those with the top/roll bar issue...what if you told the dealer that the ROLL BAR is interfering with the top, rather than the top is hitting the bar...shift the focus to the roll bar, which is the real issue!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you. I have responded to your message. My dealership quoted me mid-December 2019 for parts. That estimate has now been moved to Jan. 11th. Hopefully you can assist. Sorry to OP for hijacking thread.
Thank you walawn,
I have responded to your most recent private message, we will continue working with you there.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my case top rubbed through and I now have a tear that is/will only get worse. No choice but to replace the top and adjust the rollbar. Sad that I did escalate this and haven't heard anything from Fiat on it yet - would have expected at least a "we got it" message.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts