Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I wasn't aware the roll bar is adjustable. Please share details at your convenience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello tcrespo124,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent experiences. If you could please send us your VIN privately we would be happy to look into this further.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
71 Posts
I took mine in in August. Roll bar parts were in in September. Top came in last week.. 5 months and a couple of weeks after call Customer Care. IDK if it is related or not. Dropped it off last Friday. We'll see how long it takes to complete the job.

BTW, in the intervening months I went out of warranty. FCA is still paying for the replacement top.

My car has been in service a few times but it has always been quick. I expect this to take a little longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 17' that I bought used last year. I noticed that the convertible top had a small tear in it where it was rubbing against the roll bar. Still under warranty, so I swung by the dealer, they looked at it and said "Yep, it needs to be replaced, we'll order the parts." That was in September. I've been diligently checking in with them, and when I emailed them yesterday, they said "The part is now due onsite at the end of March."

Now, I should point out that this delivery date has already slipped 3 times, so I have no confidence that the parts will show in March. They marked my record as saying that the car was left at the dealership (ie - I don't have it and can't drive it), but clearly that doesn't make any difference.

Love Fiat - had 2 X1/9's in the 80's, just got rid of my 12' 500 because I couldn't resist the itch for a 124, and so far the car is great. I just don't see how they could have such a horrible parts acquisition process that 7 months will pass.

There - vent completed - I'll shut up now.

We had a Lexus that needed a dashboard replacement. It took a 15 months before the dealer finally received the dash. Look at the bright side, you dont have to worry about birds staining the top for a few months! SCORE! ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, When I first got mine I noticed that it was rubbing against to roll bar on the driver's side. I simply made it a point to push extra hard on the the top near the boot after I lowered it to pull it away. After a couple of weeks of doing this it permanently adjusted to a point that it no longer rubbed. It's been two years and it's still fine.
I had exactly the same experience and same fix. I noticed mine rubbing on inside of driver's side roll bar. Somewhere online (maybe here) I learned that the problem is caused by improperly lowering the top from inside the car. The proper way is to lower the top standing outside the car and push down on the trailing end just as described here. Since learning this, no more rubbing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a common problem on the Miata/124. If/when my top wears through I’m just going to replace the top with a Robbins aftermarket top. They make quality replacements, and I won’t be waiting months for it to come in. Might as well replace the roll bar with the Blackbird Fabworks bar at the same time. Then, no more worries.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I had exactly the same experience and same fix. I noticed mine rubbing on inside of driver's side roll bar. Somewhere online (maybe here) I learned that the problem is caused by improperly lowering the top from inside the car. The proper way is to lower the top standing outside the car and push down on the trailing end just as described here. Since learning this, no more rubbing.
Well, that takes some of the fun & convenience out of the car. :cry:

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took mine in in August. Roll bar parts were in in September. Top came in last week.. 5 months and a couple of weeks after call Customer Care. IDK if it is related or not. Dropped it off last Friday. We'll see how long it takes to complete the job.

BTW, in the intervening months I went out of warranty. FCA is still paying for the replacement top.

My car has been in service a few times but it has always been quick. I expect this to take a little longer.
Hello Sammy124,
We are happy to hear you are working alongside your dealer to determine a solution for your concern. Please keep us updated. If you need additional assistance throughout this process, we are always available via private message.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW, When I first got mine I noticed that it was rubbing against to roll bar on the driver's side. I simply made it a point to push extra hard on the the top near the boot after I lowered it to pull it away. After a couple of weeks of doing this it permanently adjusted to a point that it no longer rubbed. It's been two years and it's still fine.
Thanks for you comment. Could you please explain a bit more exactly where you pus?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello Sammy124,
We are happy to hear you are working alongside your dealer to determine a solution for your concern. Please keep us updated. If you need additional assistance throughout this process, we are always available via private message.
Laura
FiatCares
There are be a few fitment issues that I need to schedule it for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are be a few fitment issues that I need to schedule it for.
Hello Sammy124,
Thank you for following up with me here. Please keep us updated throughout this process. If additional assistance is needed, please do not hesitate to reach out privately.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
123 Posts
@FiatCares - I've sent you a couple of direct messages on the original post, but haven't heard anything. Also logged a case with FCA - same thing - silence...
Hello tcrespo124,
We are certainly sorry as we have been having some technical difficulties on our end. We just responded to your most recent private message, but wanted to touch base with you here as well. Please take a moment to review our private message at your earliest convenience. Hope to hear from you soon.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thought I'd update everyone - I had opened a ticket with FCA and after some prodding, the Fiat Cares people also opened a ticket. To date nobody has ever called or emailed - no contact at all. Got frustrated today and called up - ticket closed. When I asked why, they said "The ticket was open more than 7 days so it was closed out." I'm honestly regretting buying this car - I got burned back in the 80's with 2 X1/9's - should have learned my lesson then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally heard back from the local dealer - parts ETA is now May 1st. That will be nearly 9 months from the original order date. Lord help us if this is the way that parts go for the car...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love Fiat - had 2 X1/9's in the 80's, just got rid of my 12' 500 because I couldn't resist the itch for a 124, and so far the car is great. I just don't see how they could have such a horrible parts acquisition process that 7 months will pass.
Hello, sorry if I jump in after this much from the original post. I absolutely do not want to side with Fiat and I know that in general, Fiat USA and Fiat Italy are two different worlds regarding parts and maintenance.

That said, as we all know parts for the 124 Spider are produced in partnership with Mazda, especially the soft top and the other parts that are in common. I am not too surprised by the last estimate you got!

Think that recently I had to rebuild the 124, after a serious accident. Even here in Italy, at a distance of about 400 miles from the main warehouse in Turin, parts took more than 2 weeks to get to Rome. Fiat in Italy is the main car manufacturer and parts usually do not take more than 2 or 3 days to be delivered.

The 124 is a world apart in the Fiat 'ecosystem', parts are expensive and take a long time to be delivered.

Reactions: tcrespo124

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica
15 Posts
A lot of MX-5 parts are interchangeable with our car. You should just order one for the ND Miata.

Check out this site. So the soft top is a direct fit from the MX-5. Aftermarket suspension parts are also direct fit. Only issue we have is the engine/transmission performance parts... kind of lack there.. however if the engine was to ever fail... I say just replace it with a Miata engine and transmission or use the Flyin Miata V8 conversion and just go that route. The 124 is going to be discontinued in 2021. No point keeping our engine if it blows up, but that’s just my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A lot of MX-5 parts are interchangeable with our car. You should just order one for the ND Miata.

Check out this site. So the soft top is a direct fit from the MX-5. Aftermarket suspension parts are also direct fit. Only issue we have is the engine/transmission performance parts... kind of lack there.. however if the engine was to ever fail... I say just replace it with a Miata engine and transmission or use the Flyin Miata V8 conversion and just go that route. The 124 is going to be discontinued in 2021. No point keeping our engine if it blows up, but that’s just my opinion.
Thanks for the info - may have to pursue this route as it's getting out of hand and FCA isn't even responding to my requests for updates.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts